“Top marks - excellent dinner!”
Review of The Kestrel Inn

The Kestrel Inn
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Crickhowell
Price range: US$7 - US$39
Description: Beautiful old Coaching Inn nestled in the foothills of the Black Mountains. Just outside Crickhowell. Modern British food with a Mediterranean influence. Ales, Amstel, Moretti and local cider with a big selection of wine. Dogs welcome in the bar.
Reviewed 15 February 2017

We had a wonderful family meal for four in this charming and very well renovated inn. The owners have previously lived in France and the cuisine would not be out of place there. The food was all fresh and prepared to a very high standard. Be sure to save room for the amazing desserts too. Friendly owners. Highly recommended.

Richard L, Owner at The Kestrel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2017

Hi Jason

Thanks so much for your generous review, we very much apreciate feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your family meal and look forward to seeing you another time.

Regards

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

Warm cosy surroundings and very friendly staff.
My haddock in beer batter was the best, served with chips and pea purée.
Delicious crumble with cream and salted caramel ice cream was sumptuous.
My husband had chicken pie vegetables and chips.
All good quality food and reasonably priced.
Would highly recommend.

Richard L, Owner at The Kestrel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

Hi Annette
Thank you very much for you generous review.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Regards

Reviewed 24 January 2017

Birthday meal for 25? No problem. A large family gathering and straight from a walk up Pen y Fan. Lovely room, very accommodating, dog friendly, and good beer and food.

Reviewed 22 January 2017

My family & I were part of a large group who came here for lunch after climbing Pen Y Fan. The service was very good, friendly and attentive without being overbearing, and the welcome was very warm too. My fish & chips was spot on, beautifully cooked, and the other meals went down well also. It's very smart inside, a cut above the normal pub and the food was a cut above normal pub food too, but you'd not feel out of place in your walking clobber either.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

On arrival, I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful setting that I had walked into, the place was beautifully decorated and was really warm and welcoming to enter, the staff were very friendly and attentive, but these are unfortunately the only good points I can make. The staff were trying really hard to make sure we were ok and so I felt bad complaining at the time, but in hindsight I should have. Me and my partner decided to visit the kestrel for our Christmas dinner together this year after seeing an advert in the local magazine. At £24.50 for three courses (one of the priciest in the area) we were looking forward to a really nice meal. I'm not grumbling about the price, that is a perfectly good price for a three course meal but unfortunately not for what we were served, the food was very poor.

Firstly, I had preordered food, but they didn't have our food ready, infact I was asked What I had ordered. And then the courses took ages to arrive so wasn't impressed with the amount of time we spent waiting. For starters, we both had the deep fried Camembert which was nice, but only one of them was melted. Which didn't bother us to start with but after the rest of the food came out we were recapping on the bad points, knowing we would have to write this review, the main course of roast turkey dinner was also poor, the portion wasn't very big, leaving us hungry, the turkey was quite dry with one small sausage and small stuffing ball on the plate. We were served a tiny pot of JUST SPROUTS AND RED CABBAGE as vegetables for 2 of us to go with the roast. Where were the usual Christmas dinner vegetables? No carrots, no parsnips, not even a pea. I would say that universally spouts and red cabbage are two of the vegetables people don't really like, luckily I did or i really would have been starving. The roast potatoes seemed to be frozen also, not what you expect when paying this price, and the gravy was fine but the amount minimal.

For pudding, I had the Christmas pudding which to be honest was really small and looked like it came out of a microwaveable pot, the brandy creme anglais was ok, didn't really taste of brandy and there wasn't much of it. My partner loves pears and so ordered pears poached in mulled wine, which was Not good. The pear was hard and not poached properly and the mulled wine was cold. By this point, my partner wanted to leave but I was paying for this food and so I said we should finish our meal.

I had to ask for the winter spiced Welsh cakes which were on the menu to finish with coffee, they were horrible, they were like cardboard and really not like a Welsh cake at all.

We honestly both said this wasn't just the worst Christmas meal we have had, it was one of the worst meals we have had, we left pretty quickly once we had finished, still hungry. My glass of wine was lovely and like I say the staff were great and really nice, shame the food didn't match their hospitality. I am not one for complaining or writing bad reviews but we felt this needed to be written.

4  Thank Gemma S
Richard L, Owner at The Kestrel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2016

Hi Gemma
As you know, I have already responded to your review on Facebook. I have appologised and made you an offer for Valentines dinner.
Happy new year