“Very nice stay”
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crickhowell
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I booked the hotel because of location and views, as well as its country appeal. I was after a relaxing weekend on route to work in the area, the spa was also an added attraction.
On arrival I was we'll looked after and impressed with the hotel, when I got to my room I was a little dissapointed to find a very nice room but the view was of the bushes at the back of the hotel. I asked for a move but the hotel was full, I have to say I then got a little moody, only to realise it was in fact my fault , I should have checked what room I had booked, the hotel did a kindly move me to a room with a spectacular view for my second night, they did not have to do this.

I have read reviews about the poor fabric of the hotel, well I found it really comfortable and relaxing with great staff,wine and food.

If anything is a bit tired it is the spa, but this said I'd all works perfectly and is very clean,the spa manager was very helpful. All in all a really nice relaxing time. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you want good views chose a best room or suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 October 2013

From walking into the hotel, to checking out my stay was a dream, the staff, food and hospitality where second to none, well worth a stay. The gym could do with being a little bigger but that did not detract from my work out. The outstanding view from the front of the hotel is worth coming to see even if you don't stay in the hotel. My room was clean and well laid out, I wanted for nothing. All round a good place to rest my head after a long day at work.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

16 of us checked into the Manor Hotel for a walking weekend in the Brecon Beacons. No one in our party had any negative comments to make. The facilities were superb, most of the bedrooms had stunning views over open countryside, meals were excellent with friendly and attentive staff.
Would really recommend it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Two nights to see relatives were possibly the best we had had in 5 weeks. A huge bed with feather soft but firm mattress had us sleeping like babies! A wonderful outlook over the valley and use of the leisure facilities had us relaxing the minute we arrived. The menu was extensive and our guests had a thoroughly enjoyable evening with us.

Room Tip: Bring your bathers or a dip in the pool.
Reviewed 14 September 2013

It's such a shame how such a beautiful building can be ruined by management that just don't care.

We visited for our wedding anniversary.
We were relatively impressed when we arrived, the building is very grand and beautiful. But when we got to our room, the first thing we noticed was the fan that was on the windowsill on full blast. Then the smell hit us - hence by they left a fan on full blast. It STANK like an ash tray. I could have put up its that, but when I movd the duvet slightly, I noticed it was covered in stains. On closer inspection I noticed the floor was filthy, as was almost everything in the room. O we went to ask for another.

The 2nd room was better. Smelt much fresher. But when I was about to make myself comfortable, I noticed a huge red stain on the upholstery of the chair. I decided to check the linen before I got too comfortable and I'm glad I did, because I found blood stains on the middle of the sheet.

We were about to leave when the staff said they had two more rooms they could offer us. The first they showed us was much better.. If you had no sense of smell. There was a four poster bed, more space,and generally decorated better. But... The smell coming from the kitchen tractor fan that was just next to the window was thick with grease. All the linen in the room stank of old grease. So we decided to look at the other room.

The 4th room want a room. It was a box with a tiny window and no space at all around the bed.

It was 8pm, and we had nowhere else to stay, so we said we would take the greasy room. So we went back to that room. I restarted the proces of making myself familiar with the room and picked up one of the cushion that was on the pillow. Then ... Du du duuuuuuuu! I found a blood stain on the pillow.

If this is the state of the guest bedrooms, I didn't want to take the risk of eating at this hotel (if they can't keep the bedroom clean, then what are the kitchens like???). Same goes for the spa!

We were considering writing to the hotel. However, after seeing other reviews on here from people who have complained directly to the hotel, I've learned that a response is probably unlikely and even if we did get a response, it wouldn't be friendly or helpful in any way.

If only the owner/ manager could see the potential in this building, and learn some customer relationship skills, he could have a good thing here! But having seen his reaction to other intrusive criticism, this is highly unlikely.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
3  Thank Ruffyapples
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Fantastic room (again) set in the most beautiful surroundings. The hotel is always immaculate and the food exquisite. Wonderfully helpful staff, and the chocolate truffles are always pure heaven! As ever, I will be returning shortly!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stopped here for cream tea on Sunday 11 August, first sat on the patio but the ground was covered in cigarette buts as was the whole area so we moved to the grass area, The view was fantastic. The tea was served with Douwe coffee cups--bad start-- then the jam was runny and in a very small dish, scones were nice and of the crumbley kind. Might be worth stopping again for the view but only if the outside is cleaned up.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pamela g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!