Dragon Inn Crickhowell
US$422
US$119
US$116
Travelocity
Premier inn Abergavenny Hotel(Llanfoist)(Great Value!)
The Angel(Abergavenny)
  • Breakfast included
Llansantffraed Court(Llanvihangel Gobion)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnarrow entrancepull out sofaworth the waitfamily suitecar park at the backbusy nightsuper mealgreat night's sleepenormous bedtowel raildaily specialsshort stayhaddockstarters and mainswelsh breakfasttea coffee facilitieslaver bread
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We ate at the Dragon Inn on the recommendation of our hosts at the B and B, whilst staying in Crickhowell. The service was outstanding and the food of a very good quality. I had the lamb chops which came with an delicious orange mint jus whilst Kevin had the beef stroganoff with tagliatelle. He also had a side order of stir fried vegetables. The meals were cooked to our liking and tasted great. We had trio of homemade ice cream for dessert the only drawback being they were quite small scoops.
The Dragon Inn is more restaurant than pub -we only got a table because we were there early, so book a table if you aim to eat between 7.30 and 8.30.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my wife and two children. The room was of ample size which I did not expect and was pleasantly surprised.
The staff were helpful and nothing was too much to ask.
We have already booked a return visit for later this year.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Andy0179
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have stayed in most of the Hotels in Crickhowell and decided to try the Dragon on the strength of the new reviews. I knew Pedro from the Bear, and Lisa the chef from Ty Croeso. I was not disappointed. I stayed in Room 4, really lovely with a big window looking over the High Street. Clean airy and fresh with a super comfortable bed and high quality bedding, proper size bath, and bath sheets not just small bath towels. Lovely restaurant and friendly bar area, swift efficient service in the restaurant orchestrated by Pedro, attentive staff without being pushy or requiring a prod by the customers! Breakfast was excellent, the staff made sure I was looked after, nothing appeared to be any trouble at all. My only comment and it is NOT a complaint is that the room was a bit noisy in the evening as it is over the restaurant and bar area, also the floors are a bit creaky so I did get disturbed by guests on the upper floor. I admit I am fussy and this really is a very tiny issue. It is obvious a lot of care has been taken to update the facilities and provide a high quality service at a very reasonable price. Compared to the Bear or Ty Croeso for the B and B price of a room in either venue at the Dragon Inn you could get your evening meal "covered" and still have change for an ice cream! I will definitely return very soon, thank-you all for looking after me so well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a friendly hotel in a great small Welsh town. We stayed for one night in room 9 which was really comfortable. It had a great big bed, a new carpet and a fantastic bathroom (with bath) which looked new and very clean.
We ate in the restaurant and rated the food very highly. The prices are reasonable, and there is a god selection of dishes including vegetarian options. Service was excellent. Breakfast the following morning was well cooked and served again by friendly staff.
There is a lovely garden area with seating for summer evenings. Altogether, we were very impressed and thought that both the food and the accommodation offered great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne B
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights. Very friendly and helpful staff in the hotel and restaurant. Hotel is obviously still being updated and modernised as our room was a little tired to say the very least. The shower control was broken and very hard to adjust the water temperature. Window in the bedroom would not open, a velux that seems to have been sealed for life. Bedside lamp one side had no power socket or extension lead to plug it into. However the room was very clean and the bed very comfortable.

Breakfast was pretty good, although a bit slow on the service side - a theme that we found ran through to the restaurant in the evening as well. Ate there on Friday night and it was rammed! Food very good, venison carpaccio for starter followed by the rib eye which was cooked as I like it, rare. My wife had lamb chops which she asked for 'pink' but they were over cooked slightly, but still tasty. The staff seemed to be a little under trained and under pressure, it was busy and I could not help noticing that some dinners had quite longs waits for their mains courses after having starters.

Overall not at all bad and we would go back to stay and to eat too.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gareth R, Owner at Dragon Inn Crickhowell, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Corixa. Many Thanks for all of your comments and I hope very much you will visit us again as you say.
I am sorry the quality of your room was not up to the standards you expected or that we aspire to. Unfortunately you were, believe it or not, the last people to occupy that particular room before it was closed for refurbishment on Sunday where all of the issues are/have been addressed.
I am very glad that you enjoyed your meals but we will take your other comments on board and address them as we are extremely keen to ensure all of our customers consistently receive the best service.
We will look forward to seeing you on your return to us.