“long time coming”

Black Mountain Gold Chocolate
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Crickhowell
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have recently moved to the area and popped in for a hot chocolate: it was something special but we had to wait over 20 minutes. There are only 2 tables and just one person ordered a drink before us so the wait was difficult to understand. It seemed our drinks were prepared in the area where the chocolates are made so perhaps they had to focus on that at a critical stage.
The chocolate bars are delicious and its worth looking in to admire the choc sculptures
I have marked down because of the long wait: with our two year old grandson it seemed endless
Its not a place for a special occasion given the limited seating and menu

All reviews
"boxes"
"block"
"gift"

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Absolutely love this shop! My husband and I visited with our daughter whose still in a pushchair and they were so friendly. The hot chocolate is utterly delicious and then we rounded it off with some 'scrummies' which are lovely little chocolate delights! Also bought some chocolates to take home and we were really pleased with our purchases! I think we will be visiting everytime we stay in Crickhowell which I think will be more often now as I'm craving the hot chocolate already! Well worth a visit!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I travelled here especially whilst in Brecon to visit the chocolate shop which should demonstrate how much I like chocolate. I purchased a selection of chocolates and am gutted that I'm disappointed by them. Don't get me wrong they are better than the standard chocolates you can easily purchase such as Milk Tray/Black Magic etc... but I found some of them to be lacking in flavour, such as the peach, raspberry and the orange in particular. The chai one had great flavour but the inside was grainy. I found most of the centres to be dry or grainy. At this risk of 'swearing' and mentioning Hotel Chocolat, I much prefer them, the consistency and the flavour is much better and the price point is a little lower as well. I was told in the shop that Hotel Chocolat is the best of a bad bunch as they all add too much oil and sugar which may well be the case, however, if that it what is generally affordable and consumed then the chocolates created here may not be enjoyed by the masses. Given the choice I would genuinely choose some of the selections that M&S produce or the Thorntons Premium selection :(

One of thier regulars was advised whilst I was there that their prices would be going up due to the cost of ingredients which is a concern as they are already expensive. My review is only one opinion and the fact they have regulars shows that their chocolates are enjoyed. I have compared them to chocolates of a similar price point and found them to be lacking in the two key areas, taste and texture. The flavours they were selling did look good and they had a good choice of great looking chocolates. I am sad to be negative but I genuinely feel that your money may be better spent elsewhere.

2  Thank shallottie
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We passed this shop by chance as we were exploring this delightful town. This shop is full of goodies - we settled for chocolate ginger pieces as being suitable for our canal holiday. The chocolate sculptures were most creative, one in high relief of the ancient bridge across the river. The place is full of history, even a castle in the town centre, and will definitely return for some hill-walking and hot chocolate!

2  Thank RH1447
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Black Mountain Gold Chocolate are artisan chocolate purveyors extraordinaire. The chocolates Jules makes by hand are truly exceptional and have imaginary tastes and visual twists. Kathy and the rest of the team provide quite exceptional service. Following our numerous visits last year, BMGC was our first port of call this year on returning to this special town on holiday. We have even commissioned one off birthday and wedding creations. Don't miss out on visiting if you appreciate real chocolate and the very best things in life.

The Jost Family