“WOW! This place is nasty!”

The Village Green Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 53 Restaurants in Steinbach
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Thai, Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have visited this restaurant a few times when I worked in Steinbach and it has always been adequate. This visit on Saturday May 10th was very bad. Reservation made for 14 people at noon. 3 of us showed up at noon, not acknowledge for 10 minutes, finally someone came by and said 'your table is at the back' and left. Alrighty, walked to our table, no menus placed on table and no water , when the rest of our party arrived, we all sat and waited..and waited and waited. Finally, someone in our party went to the desk to ask for menus and water. By time we received our food order, it had been over an hour. Steak sandwiches extremely tough, we asked if it was round steak they used, was also not cooked to our request. Rueben sandwiches are kinda funky...not good at all. The soup is excellent however. One of the salads had black and brown lettuce underneath the chicken and was sent back. My nephews grill cheese sandwich looked good. My father found a a large piece of bacon tossed in with his french fries...,bonus meat! During the two hour stay (too long for a lunch) we were only offered 1 drink. We had to leave the table in order to pay our bill as it was not brought to the table. On a large party there is a 15% automatic gratuity charged and we would have been fine with that had the service warranted it. It did not! We received a discount on the steak sandwich, great! but they wanted to charge the 15% tip which we all complained about. It was finally removed from our bill and given 4 cards for future visits for an appetizer. The waitress was not friendly, the restaurant was not full....I have been there on previous visits when the restaurant was packed and received excellent service with food that was passable, so what happened this time? Now if a restaurant wants to charge these prices, they should be able to provide the service and quality food to go along with the it. Charging the 15% gratuity automatically does not entitle the waitress to give zero service because she's automatically going to get a tip. Its a shame that this restaurant has gone downhill in the food and service as it is a nice building, nice decor and scenery. Oh, and I don't need another waitress from a different section come to the cash register to argue with me about the service and the fact that she was told to remove the charges from the bill by someone who we believe was in management. Was pretty funny that she was told eventually to remove the tip and to be nice about it!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My friends recommended this restaurant for me once; however, I am not coming back ever!

If you are in a good mood - they know how to ruin your day!

Absolutely NOT friendly service!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

After a negative experience in June 2013, I was hesitant to return to The Village Green Restaurant, but today I went for lunch and absolutely loved the food! I had a wonderful soup and my guest enjoyed a hamburger with french fries and gravy. We were both extremely pleased with our meals. I couldn't help but notice the food being served to other diners and was impressed with the freshness and homemade quality of the items. I will be returning!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have chosen the Village Green for many family functions, or a nice Sunday buffet(fantastic by the way) with homemade borscht and have never been disappointed. A great place to bring the whole family, great value for the money.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Village Green is a great place to eat. In summer it is fantastic to sit outside on the patio. The spacious green from the golf course is your landscape. The food is good. I like going here for breakfast and lunch. The specials are great. Seems okay value for the fare.