“Bit of a let down.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Windsor NS

Super 8 Windsor NS
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Corner Brook, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is a very average roadside property with no outstanding virtues, and I probably wouldn't have bothered reviewing it if I hadn't run into a significant problem at checkout. When booking the room, like a lot of people I used a credit card number that was the closest at hand. It was not a prepaid reservation; I know they're tied to the credit card used at time of booking. When we checked in, we used my husband's card, which had to be pre-authorized using his PIN -- I've never before had to enter a PIN for a pre-auth. Never mind that the room was extremely noisy because a loud group checked into the adjoining room at midnight, or that the amenities were distinctly in a user a friendly; it was checkout the next morning that was the problem. As we were leaving, we were told that the person who had checked us in had not taken the right credit card impression, and that in order to check out we'd need to produce the card from the original booking guarantee. The fact that they'd taken both a pre-auth *and* a PIN on the card we'd used to check in didn't matter. The front desk agent blamed the problem on the person who had checked us in, but insisted that it was essential to produce the original card since the charges would go onto it anyway, but the hold would remain on the card we had actually used for up to two days. In other words, the hotel policy was to hold up funds on TWO of our credit cards for up to 48 hours. I know I am not the first person in tourism history to use different cards for guarantee and actual payment, whether for premium points or other considerations, but I was told that we should have been informed of the policy at the time of check-in, and there was nothing that could be done because it was hotel policy. Absolutely no such information was shared either at thee time of booking or at the time of check-in.

My point is that the customer should have the option of using *any* form of payment on checkout, regardless of the card used to guarantee the room. That card should *only* come into play if and when the guest is a no-show and the card must be charged by default.

I will definitely not be returning to this hotel. The card policy unnecessarily complicates what should be a simple and straightforward process, and the front desk agent's willingness to blame the person who had checked us in was offensive and self-serving. If you're thinking of staying in Windsor, choose one of its charming inns, where a guarantee is a guarantee and no one is interested in tying up your funds needlessly.

Room Tip: It doesn't much matter, since one side overlooks a highway and the other overlooks a parking lot...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Tiffany T, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Windsor NS, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear NLfoodie,

Thank you for your detailed review.

Due to advancing technology and credit card security our systems now require our guests to produce a PIN so that we can authorize funds for their stay.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during check out. I can assure you that our credit card policy does not include holding funds on two different credit cards. I believe after speaking with you via phone and speaking with the agent on duty at the time that there was a communication error. Our guests are free to pay any way they choose when they stay with us. However, your inconvenience could have been avoided and I am truly sorry for that.

In closing, our Agent on duty at the time is a wonderful asset to our hotel. I can assure you that her intention was not to offend you nor to pass the blame onto her colleagues. She has read this review and is very saddened that she made you feel this way.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were visiting family in Windsor and as they have a smaller home we checked into this Hotel. We were very pleased with every aspect of our stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They directed us to a variety of places to eat and sites to visit. The rooms were clean and fresh. The pool was inviting after a day of family fun, the kids finding the large slide so much fun and I must say I loved the hot tub. The breakfast was enjoyable with a variety of food for all ages. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tiffany T, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Windsor NS, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Deb S,

I hope that you had a great time visiting family!

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us! Our staff are always eager to help as much as they can. There are a number of places to eat and sites to see in Windsor, and they know where the good spots are.

Our SuperSlide is definitely a hit with the kids, and the hot tub allows the parents to relax and unwind at the same time.

Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Super 8 Windsor in the future!

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed at the Super 8 Windsor for a weekend in April 2014. Great friendly staff!! Great accommodations and wonderful town. Staff were more then helpful in all aspects of my stay. Clean comfortable room. I can't wait to go back!! Thanks :)

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi room was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie H
Tiffany T, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Windsor NS, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Debbie H,

Isn't Windsor wonderful? There is plenty of things to do in this town.

I am very happy to hear that you a wonderful stay with us. We do have very helpful and outgoing staff, always willing to help our guests in any way!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I know that most times you see bad reviews on these sites but how often do we take the time to write something good when it does happen? My family and I stayed at the Super 8 In Windsor, NS recently and after a long day of driving and car repairs we were just done. The girls at the desk greeted us with a smile that could warm your heart and the place was very clean. The ladys ensured us of all thier amenities and even allowed us to use thier meeting room for our supper to give us a little privacy. This was an unplanned stop for us but with car issues we knew we had to stop somwhere and am I ever glad we chose here! With the big pool and waterslide that kept the kids happy and the hottub for hubby and I to relax it made this a wonderful experience. Definetly a planned stop for atleast one vacation this summer! An A1 experience!

Sarah Beth

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the kids suite on the 3rd floor away from all the noises :-)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear SarahBeth2014,

I'm so sorry for your car troubles, but I am very happy we were able to turn your experience into a positive one.

We're so glad that you were able to utilize our pool and hot tub. The SuperSlide is a great feature for the kids while the hot tub allows the parents to relax!

Thank you for your kind comments and feedback, I will ensure to pass them on to all staff.

We can't wait to welcome you back this summer!

Moncton, New Brunswick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I feel that the price was too high, I've stayed at nice, more comfortable places for less. The light switch to the lamp was broken, the heater/air conditioner made a lot of noise, had to shut if off to sleep. Pool was small. No noise which was fantastic. Took 50.00 off my CC, just in case of damages (that is why you give CC, for those just in cases), wasn't told about it till book in, which I've never paid that at any other hotel, took three days for it to go back on CC when told one day. Wasn't asked how our stay was or anything. While trying to book in the lady at the desk was on the phone and continued on the phone while we stood there. Found the bed hard, internet very slow, kept kicking us out

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Tiffany T, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Windsor NS, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear RB,

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

It seems that we have fallen short within every aspect of your visit with us at Super 8. I want to sincerely apologize for your less than impressive stay. Your review has been read by all department heads and will be addressed with all staff throughout the hotel; Guest Services, Housekeeping and Maintenance.

I hope that you will visit us again and allow us a second chance to show you how a Super 8 stay should be.

Tiffany
Guest Services Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
Slumber Inn
#1 of 2 in New Minas
Beach Breeze Motel
Beach Breeze Motel
#1 of 1 in Grand Pre
Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.
Micro Boutique Living Wolfville

Been to Super 8 Windsor NS? Share your experiences!