“Emerald lake”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Emerald lake”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

It was a really beautiful lake. It is like a blue-green beach in the mountain. Took a jeep fro
Alaska jeep rental up the Klondike HWY and turned around there. My family was really glad we went on up to see it. Carcross town wasn't an over priced tourist trap!

Visited August 2011
4 Thank Tatman_5

Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Find another activity if in the Skagway area”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We visited from our cruise ship, but did not book this thru the cruise line. The scenery on the bus ride to the ranch is definitely stunning, but there are other ways to see this. The horseback ride is an approx 2 hour ride thru very dusty, wooded trails. Other than one very nice overlook of the emerald lake, basically a boring ride. Approx 20 people, 2 guides and very little personal attention. I admit I was a bit spoiled as my previous horseback ride was on the volcano in Hawaii, with only my family and a very interactive guide. Not good, find something else to do.

1 Thank norzee
Concord, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A wonderful way to see outdoor Alaska on horseback...”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My husband and I booked a 3 hour horseback riding trip with Emerald Lake Ranch on Tuesday, May 26, 2009. We were greeted by Joni upon our arrival. This was a great ranch and we were so excited to get onto the horses. She has about 20 horses and had about 14 of them at the ranch since we were still early in the season. The horses were saddled and ready to go so she took us out to meet them and get settled. LJ rode Carolina, I had Rosie and Joni was on Trooper. We were very fortunate to have no one else booked with us so we had our own personal tour.

Our first stop was an overlook of Emerald Lake and then on to the waterfalls where we took a break, tied up the horses and enjoyed the falls. This wasn't your normal tour of walking down in a line of horses, we cantered and trotted and really interacted with the horses which was quite amazing! The trails were wooded, then some open overlooking valleys, a railroad bed and some great mountain views.

We had a wonderful time and then came back to camp to take some photos. The camp has some wonderful old buildings and the whole place is full of character. Joni obviously had a love and passion for the outdoors and her horses and we truly enjoyed getting to know her. She is very knowledgeable about the area as well. I was surprised the few bad reviews. The horses definitely looked very well fed and healthy and we were extremely pleased with our trip. If you have an opportunity, you should definitely visit Joni and Emerald Lake!

USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed 27 March 2009

The area truly is beautiful. But I wouldnt suggest going with "Emerald Lake Ranch". The guide Joni didn't seem to handle her staff well and the horses didn't look great either. The place looked unorganized and messy. While I expect there to be horse poop, there could have been more effort made to "clean up". Wouldn't do this again.

Alberta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yukon Riding IS THE BEST RIDE EVER !!!”
Reviewed 14 October 2008

EMERALD LAKE A GREAT RIDE!

I have been going to the Yukon since 1994, the first time I rode horses in the Yukon was at the Emerald Lake Ranch in 2004 and have been coming back ever since. COULDN'T believe the review by Milwaukee who stated it was a waste of $$ and time!

I have ridden horses all my life through the Rocky Mts. the Badlands of Alberta, throughout British Columbia and up to the Yukon. The views from the back side of Emerald Lake and from the differant elevations of the trails get you into so many breathtaking views of raw beauty, it is almost unbelievable that this one area could be so scenic!

In 2008 I brought my own Paint horses to the Emerald Lake, Yukon to ride, simply because of the background scenes can't be beat! On all the trails I have been on at the ranch we have had a wide variety of experiences, with opportunity to trot and canter on the long sandy trails when we were out with experienced riders. We spent plenty of time in the high country where we glassed for wildlife spotting sheep on Caribou Mountain.

I bring my kids and grandkids when ever I come to the Yukon. The horses were gentle and well mannered not to mention well fed and healthy looking. This is one thing I look at before I ride with anyone, I like to be sure the animals are in good shape.

I would recommend this tour to anyone who likes riding, adventure and fantastic scenery are totally a part of this tour. Hope you enjoy my pics.

1 Thank Paint_horses