“Worst Tour ever experienced”

Patagonia Adventures
Ranked #6 of 15 Tours in El Chalten
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Patagonia Aventura has tailor-made programs to explore and enjoy the Viedma Glacier according to each of our client’s expectations. Carefully grouped into three different products, every activity invites our travelers to live a unique experience in Patagonia.
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I joined this (very pricy!!) tour departing from El Calafate in a 1-day trip.
I'v read negative opinions about this agency but since it is the only one that organize trekking on the ice on the Viedma...I had no choice, so I booked with them. What a mistake! They put you in a big group of people, with members of every age (also really aged!) and every sort of "sport attitude", with the result that to make happy everybody you end up to "walk" rather than to trek on the ice. Really boring and nothing special. Surely Perito Moreno offers something more and is cheaper. Besides, even if they guarantee 1 guide every 2-3 people in the group, they are very un-polite and arrogant.
Maybe they need some competitors to increase their quality of service and reduce the cost of the prices..
I would definitely not suggest Patagonia Adventures.

11  Thank globmail

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I was very scared and I could not pciture myself trekking the glacier, but as many of people said before the guides from Patagonia Adventure are amazing, very helpful and they make sure that you trek only in safe areas of the glacier, every day the trail can be different as the glacier moves, you will see rainbow and will be spoilt by glass of baileys with freshly broken ice of Viedma, an amazing, once in a lifetime experience, the boat trip is great and the views breathtaking!!! I truly recommend it, you won't regret it!

2  Thank AgaD00
Lucia2620, Commercial Assistance at Patagonia Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Regards, Patagonia Aventura staff.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Patagonia Aventura provided a very enjoyable experience, particularly once we disembarked from the boat and began the mini ice-trek. The group was split up into smaller groups both for more manageable size and based on language, and our English-speaking group numbered around 15, with three guides. Particularly since my husband is no longer "age-eligible" for the ice trek on Perito Moreno, we were glad to have this opportunity to walk on the glacier--not difficult at all, after very simple and appropriate instructions to "walk like a penguin" (small and outward-angled steps). The lead guide was suitably cautious when checking for unstable areas, and we were able to partly enter, but not go through, an inviting ice tunnel. Incidentally, his less than optimal vision, rather than stability or stamina, was my husband's concern, and he appreciated having one of the guides at his elbow much of the time on the ice (her being young and cute didn't hurt).

One other thing worth noting: when we stopped by the office of Patagonia Aventura in El Chalten, we were advised against going on the day we'd initially planned to do the ice trek. It had rained heavily that day and was likely to still be wet and slippery (with possible rain) the next day as well. We took the advice of the young woman taking reservations, and were really glad we did.

1  Thank atastefortravel

Thank you very much!! We are glad to know that you enjoyed the Ice Trek experience! Regards, Patagonia Aventura staff.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

The walk was very nice and the guides were experienced and friendly. The only problem is that the boat was leaving a lot of oil in the water. In this fragile environment the company should be more careful.

3  Thank Erick B
Reviewed 10 November 2012

this was one of the most DISSAPOINTING trips of my life. i came to chalten, very excited to hike on a glacier and explore the caves, that all of the photos show. i, specifically asked the agency if we would be going below the glaciers, and walk through the caves, as the photos showed. on the pamphlet, there are only three photos. the first is of people walking on the glacier, and the other two are of a guy walking through the most beautiful caves i have ever seen. the tour agency promised me that i would be down below, walking through the most amazing ice tunnels of my life. in fact, we never went below the glacier, and the tour guide laughed, in my face, when i asked about the caves. she explained that the photos are only for promotional purposes, and that people never actually get to explore the ice caves. with that being said, the tour was a trap and ment for super rich people, with no real desire to get up close and personal, but just want to tell their family and friends that they went to a glacier. passport stamping and traveling, are two totally different things. this was for those only looking to tell a pathetic story with no real substance. no able bodied individual would ever pay over 130 US dollars for this trip. it was a waste of my time and my money. the next day, i asked for a refund, and the boss laughed in my face. he explained that the pictures of the tour were to attract business and that people never get to go explore these miraculous caves. my first appointment in buenos aires is with the travel commission, or the better buisness burea, i hope that everyone reading this will NEVER waste their time going on such a dissapointing tour. i cant even call it an adventure. i will remember this experience as the worst trip of my life. i am ashamed that i was such a gringo for even thinking that this was gonna be worth it.

9  Thank Petr-EU
Lucia2620, Gerente at Patagonia Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear Passenger,

Patagonia Aventura's staff was always polite while explaining to you that our Viedma Ice trek excursion is one which requires no technical experience, particularly after hearing from the glaciers you have been to and skied on. We also explained that the ever changing conditions of the glacier determines the route we take everyday. All our passengers are advised that caves and tunnels may or may not be there. And if there are, they can't always be visited since it depends on the safety evaluation made by the guide on the field.

You made clear while booking, during, and after the excursion, that you thought rates where high. We believe they are fair and in accordance to the experience we provide. This also seems to be the opinion of the many passengers and agencies who join us daily.

Every day we do our best to deliver a meaningful experience to each and everyone of our visitors, and mostly succeed at it. We are very sorry to hear your experience was not what you hoped it would be.

Kind regards,