“A Window on Another World”

explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We chose to spend our thirtieth anniversary on Rapa Nui and it was an excellent choice. We sprang for a suite and it was lovely. We did have a few issues: a prior Explora hotel had not been able to get the charges through Chilean credit card bureaucracy and there was no hot water our first night (and we needed it!), dirty rag left on our floor one night and a welcome tray of food delivered after dinner (10ish) one night, but other than those snafus it was a lovely time. We had hot water thereafter, the front desk person took care of both explora bills, the rag disappeared the next day and the bar tender was happy to keep our food refrigerated until the next day in the afternoon. The island is by itself incredible and the moai are just fascinating. I wondered how many I would want to see, but I wanted to see every last one. The explorations were great. The hotel was thinly populated when we were there, so everybody was very accommodating. They drove us to a couple of Moai for which we might not have had time, but enjoyed the walks around the caves and the quarry and the various platforms, boat houses and statues. Unfortunately, some of our walks went a little slower than anticipated as we never quite managed to get to the final visit before dark, so we were looking hard a the last moai in the twilight (they did make a special trip back to Anakena which was truly amazing.) Explora is NOT about putting on 6 pounds so the food is limited in choices, but I have never had any difficulty finding delicious and beautiful food. It may not always be your daily fare, but we learned about new foods happily. I found the hotel serene and peaceful (it may have a different atmosphere when fully booked) but by no means isolated, and watching the sunrise as we ate breakfast was a very pleasant start to the days. It was relaxing, educational and I even learned a few words of rapa nui! Maururu roa!

Room Tip: We only saw our room but 17 is a fantastic suite. it is not as much larger as some of the other Exp...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandra s
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your kind review. While initially a mixed review, we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and please rest assured that we will look into the reported matters.

explora’s daily changing menu is indeed not designed to put on weight, but it’s also not at all about dieting and I very much hope, that’s what you implied. explora’s culinary philosophy combines international cuisine with traditional Chilean specialties and our menu is ever evolving. Our emphasis is on custom explorations for all travelers and our menu is designed to enable travelers to enjoy the explorations without feeling heavy du to overly fatty or creamy food. Having said that, we do serve desert twice a day and in fact as many as travelers want and if our guests take to the Chilean habit of enjoying wine with meals, your daily explorations may just about balance out the extra calories.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite. explora’s architecture and design, which followed the LEED building practices, was awarded silver LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council in 2009. explora was the 1st hotel in Latin America to earn this certification, and the 2nd certified hotel outside the United States.

You may already know about the benefits of explora’s CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts of 10% and room upgrades for repeat guests. For the latest 20th anniversary benefits, kindly visit our website.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, and I would say that is the minimum night stay as I could have done a lot more on the island. Food and service at the hotel was great, with friendly waiting staff. My room had large windows giving me a lovely view of the surrounding countryside, and was spacious inside. I appreciated having a jacuzzi bath to relax in after a day of activity.
The activities were well organised - I found the visit to the quarry the most interesting as that is where you see how the Moai statues were created and there are still some in situ, and others that were abandoned. I also did a lovely walk along the cliff top to the Orongo crater. I also borrowed one of the hotel´s bikes and cycled into town independently which takes around 30mins. The hotel has a swimming pool and spa area - the massage I had at the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank kolondon

Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review.

I am very grateful to you for mentioning the diverse excursions, in particular the quarry excursion, which happens to be one of my favorite, too. It’s a fantastic staring point to fully grasp the magnitude of the understating to shape moais and then transport them for miles to their final position. explora’s travel philosophy includes a firm believe that we are inspired to travel by the pleasure of the journey and by the richness of the experiences that it brings. In short, at explora we believe that the final destination is less important than the things that happen along the way. Depending on where we travel, that “way” can be hiked, enjoyed on the back of a horse or bicycle, motored on a boat or driven in a van. It all depends, but if it’s possible, we’ll make it possible for our travelers.

Please know that explora offers special benefits at certain times of the year for solo travelers. To learn more, kindly vist our website.

Furthermore, I want to make you aware of the benefits of explora’s CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. Detailed information can be found in our website.

We look forward to welcoming you back at explora.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

The Lodge has similiar vibes of the old Tam O Shanter at Mission Beach Australia: ie an isolated unusually pleasant and comfortable resort . Management seems non existent yet the place runs smoothly.Conversley many of the waiterstaff are on the ball tourism graduates from Santiago and the young mostly indigenous guides are intensley proud of their inheritance. All are eager to please if you demonstrate an interest: as we did. Most speak spanish, rapi nui and a smattering of english but you'll get by!
We are in our mid 60's, took our walking gear/raincoats etc, spent 4 nights at Explora, and would love to go back!
South America is a 12-14 hour flight from Australia, plus the 3 - 4 hours to Easter Island. I'd say Australians are rare here, and will fit into the character of the place very easily.
Expect some decently hard walking! and hundreds of archaeological sites. There's no snakes and the landscape appears an environmental disaster illogically clothed in eucalypts, guava and yellow lupins. Apparently introduced rats, cats, goats, cattle, horses chewed/killed their way through anything once natural/ left by the original inhabitants. Unlike Norfolk or Lord Howe Islands no one seems able to control the vermin which is a weird sort of admission by the Chilean government considering the cash cow that Easter island must surely be.
Back to the resort. Life's really what you make of it. Explora is the perfect venue to enjoy the challenges of understanding the social history of Rapi Nui. Clevely, wifi is only available near the bar, we liked the decor, drank the freely available filtered water, were pleased with the ever changing menu.

Improvements could include camera batteries for sale at the shop, a proper walking and trip guide schedule rather than the current adhoc blackboard approach, a decent library of books pertinent to Easter Island,
more use made of the excellent lecture room, a newsletter for those interested in returning as it is our understanding that archaeologists often visit and lecture at the resort, and more time to spend in town, as Monday's most of the shops are closed.
Expect to take hundreds of photographs, meet some great people, perhaps form some longterm friendships, and enjoy your time in a historically significant environment.

Room Tip: probably all rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your detailed review.

I enjoyed reading your uniquely Australian take on Easter Island. Why the management seemed invisible to you is serious concern to me and all of us at explora. One of our guiding principle is a management approach based on close, but not overwhelming, contact with our our travelers. We will review this with our Management team in Easter Island.

Allow me to answer constructive feedback that I can easily solve. The explora newsletter signup page is in our webpage and one automatically signs up after check-out from the hotel. You should receive next issue.

Thank you also for your suggestion to have camera batteries available at the explora store, which is an easy item for us to add to the inventory immediately.

As for a more detailed overview of all explorations (minus the very custom explorations that explora sets up for all travelers depending on their needs and special interests) you should have found an overview booklet about explora Rapa Nui in your room, which includes this list and description of the excursions. They can also be found online, but again, a booklet is placed in every room upon arrival.

Our travel philosophy includes a firm believe that we are inspired to travel by the pleasure of the journey and by the richness of the experiences that it brings. In short, at explora we believe that the final destination is less important than the things that happen along the way. Depending on where we travel, that “way” can be hiked, enjoyed on the back of a horse or bicycle, motored on a boat or driven in a van. It all depends, but if it’s possible, we’ll make it possible for our travelers.

Please allow me to make you aware of the benefits of explora’s CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts of 10% and room upgrades for repeat guests. For the latest 20th anniversary benefits, please visit our website.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I've been reading other reviews to know what's already been covered and I have to agree most wholeheartedly with the note that you should know what the culture of explora is meant to be. You should know what you're "getting into" before you go, because embracing it fully will give you the most quality experience. For me, it was exactly what I had hoped for, with a variety of active explorations, in-depth discussions of culture, access to sites off the beaten path--but with good food, open bar, and a luxuriously comfortable room thrown in at the end of the day. Having done my research about Easter Island, I knew that trying to put together an a la carte trip would be expensive (everything on the island IS, being that it's...yes...an island) and time-consuming, whereas explora offers a nice all-inclusive option that takes the legwork and guesswork out of budgeting and planning. No, it is not cheap, but there is that old adage about getting what you pay for...to which I would add "and you should squeeze every last peso out of your experience". I like that you can socialize--or not--depending on your experience of the people you spent a few hours hiking with (all of MY co-guests were interesting, vital people who had their own great stories to tell, so I was really blessed!). I like that you can choose your own level of exertion--though, yes, some of the trip descriptions could be a bit more thorough. I like the explora concept of "surprises", and there were plenty--a beachside BBQ with whole fish on the grill and a bar set-up 15 feet from the waves; a cold beer at the end of the full day hike, sparkling wine at sunset at the base of a moai, and the willingness of the guides to be flexible. I especially recommend Carlos, Camilla and Gina for their enthusiasm, humor, energy, and local knowledge. My recommendation is to come ready and willing to get involved; to ask the experience to give you back what you put into it. You will not be disappointed. The hotel experience itself is superlative (all of the nice touches of luxury: spotlessly clean facilities, decadently comfortable bed, incredible privacy and amazing views), the restaurant offers limited choices (please see: it's an island, so there are just two choices of starters, mains, and desserts at each meal) but all of my dishes were done with care and skill...that said, explora offers the possibility of much more than all of that...IF you take advantage of it. If you'd prefer to be driven to the various sites at the photographically perfect time of day, and then returned to a poolside chaise and offered a drink...well, explora might not be what you're looking for. Though they do have a pool...and a couple of excellent bartenders. :) Hanga Roa is an easy bike ride away if you like to go off on your own, though don't have high hopes of anything more than a town...the museum was closed, so I can't speak to that, but an hour gives you a good overview of town life and the chance to get your passport stamped at the post office. Yes, the WiFi is indeed a problem if you need to be connected. I know they offer a massage option and I heard two fellow guests rave about it, though I have no firsthand knowledge. Swimming at Ahukena beach is not to be missed, especially if you remember how far away you are from everywhere else while you're bobbing in the Pacific. I was there in "slow" season so there weren't any evening music performances, which was too bad, though I probably could have asked if there were any in town. The explora staff, to a man (and woman) is ready to accommodate and assist (offering a Band-Aid when I ran out, calling a local cab for me one evening, mailing postcards before I discovered the post office), and--all in all--I can't imagine a better experience of Easter Island. I did the five night, four day option with a single room (ask for a solo traveler discount, which is not available on the website but they do offer it). For me, it was a perfect fit and just the right amount of time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank kdogs2

Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your detailed and enthusiastic review.

I so appreciate your diligence in describing your explora experience, your choice of excursions and guides as well as the occasional “surprises” (spoiler alert!). I will make sure to pass on your kind comments about individual staff members to the team.

Allow me to reply to your solo travel comments towards the bottom of your review right away. explora is in its third year to offer solo traveler benefits at certain times. To learn more, please visit our website.

The dance performance that you couldn’t attend is called Kari Kari and if you were not made aware of the performance by the management, the group must indeed have been on a trip, which is usually the reason that the performance is interrupted temporarily.

I am particularly happy to read your definition of the “explora culture” and the need for travelers to understand our art of travel. In our opinion, travel should combine interaction with nature and local cultures with relatively demanding physical activity, which is necessary if you want to see the best of what the remote has to offer. Then, at the end of the day, even under the most difficult circumstances, explora provides comforts and pleasures which reward the effort made.

Please allow me to make you aware of the benefits of explora’s CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts of 10% and room upgrades for repeat guests. For the latest 20th anniversary benefits, kindly visit our website.

Thank you.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Really enjoyed my 3 night stay in a Raa suite at explora Rapa Nui recently. The decor in the suite is simple which highlights the large panes of windows offering superb views of the ocean. On the other hand, I didn't care for the unfinished concrete walls in the main room. Being an eco-friendly property, bottled water is discouraged and so every guest is given a nice explora stainless steel water bottle upon arrival. Drinking water is refilled in a glass carafe in the room twice a day although I could have used a couple of carafes at a time. Housekeeping was meticulous and turn down was done while we were at supper. Meals and drinks are included with the rate. Food was generally delicious and the food normally came out quite quickly. Selection is limited to only a couple of choices for each course for lunch and dinner, which typically consists of an appetizer, salad, entree and a dessert. However, I overheard one couple telling the staff that they had a craving for spicy fried rice (?) and apparently they accommodated them. Despite having a fly in my food one day, meals were normally nicely presented with a decent selection of wines and spirits for all inclusive. Now when you book with explora, you're not signing up for a spa retreat. It's all about the excursions and you have the opportunity to do 2 per day, usually at 9:30 and 3:30. They will even have an excursion planned for you in the afternoon the day you arrive. Most of the excursions involve some degree of hiking while they also offer some cycling and boating/snorkelling excursions. While they will most likely accommodate you, if you simply want to be driven to the different sites on the island then explora is not for you. The hotel itself is somewhat isolated from the main town of Hanga Roa so it's not like you can walk out and hail a cab. Guides were informative and friendly, Carlos was excellent. Hiking snacks were provided and trekking poles were available to use. Most of the hikes were quite enjoyable although there were some portions such as hiking through 5 ft high brush that seemed kind of pointless. The explora website shows some of the excursions available but it should have more pictures of the sites you will be seeing because if it says you'll be seeing "Ahu Tahira" it is not immediately obvious what that is. WiFi was painfully slow and only available in a small area around the bar/lobby area. The best connection is at the gift shop, where their circa 1995 router is located. There was no TV in the room, which was not a big deal, but having in room WiFi should be standard these days. Overall, explora Rapa Nui was great experience but make sure you come prepared with a good pair of hiking boots and some basic gear.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank zoltrix56
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I loved staying at the Explora on Easter Island. I felt at home from the moment we arrived. They really set everything up so that you can take advantage of everything they have to offer and everyone that worked there was exceptionally friendly. From the bartenders to the guides, they were all fantastic.

Room Tip: We had a beautiful view of the sunrise, but all the rooms might have that view. My bed faced towards...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your detailed and complimentary review of your explora experience.
I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the explora Rapa Nui team and want say how much I appreciate you classifying explora Rapa Nui as a lodge and team that made you “feel at home from the moment you arrived.” We are very honored about such a kind compliment!

Please know that after visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts of 10% and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, please visit our website.

Jesús Parrilla,

Reviewed 1 April 2013

The hotel was designed to blend with the environment using natural wood, glass and volcanic stone. It is not only attractive but very comfortable in all the common areas and bedrooms. The kitchen is an open kitchen and you can watch the chefs prepare outstanding recipes. You can take notes to recreate a dish at home or ask them for a special recipe. The food is expertly prepared and artistically arranged.
They have 2 dining rooms. One is called the outside dining room because the windows can slide all to one side and you will have complete open air area in front of your table. This was perfect while we were eating during a beautiful sunset. We were able to take pictures without leaving our table.
The excursions are small groups with excellent guides. Our favorite was Natalie. She took great pride in her culture and was anxious to share the history and insights with us.
The excursion coordinator and resort manager were also excellent. They'd describe the trips in detail and worked with us for a few special excursions - Eg. a boat ride w/snorkeling, sunset a site with only Moai with eyes, and Sunday Mass @ Iglesia Hanga Roa. The Mass was on Palm Sunday with Rapa Nui language and music. This is one of many highlights of our trip.The church has 3 masses each Sunday but only one in native language. Ours was at 9 AM.
All the Explora staff very friendly and eager to help.
We did use the pool. It was very private and relaxing after a long excursion.
Only suggestion is for Explora to print all possible excursions describing the sights to be seen, estimated time of trip, degree of difficulty and what to wear and bring. They could have a disclosure stating that not all of the tours are offered every day.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple