“Exemplary, Caring Service”

explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This review will likely be a bit different from the rest. To start off, I can award nothing but the highest points in all areas that matter for a seasoned traveler to such a remote destination. Our eight-night stay on Easter Island surpassed all of our expectations, and I would return to Explora Rapa Nui in a heartbeat. All of the prior glowing reviews are valid; deviations are anomalies.

Halfway through my stay, I received a call advising me that my father had died. From that point forward, every single person, every single thing that any staff member did for me went above and beyond what one might expect from virtual strangers.

Because of the intensity of the experience, all that transpired over the next five days on the island will be forever sealed into my memory. I say five days because, even though I had a FULL-FARE BUSINESS CLASS SEAT, LAN Airlines made absolutely no effort to help me get off the island sooner than my scheduled flight back to Santiago. That's an issue I will need to take up with LAN's Board and Management in the near future. They were officious and insensitive; I am furious about that.

In fact, there were two of us traveling together. For five days in a row, we would pack all of our luggage, and then Beno Atan, Explora's head guide, would diigently drive us to the airport early - and wait for us patiently - with the hopes that we might make the standby list and get on the flight. (LAN ground staff told us that the flights are typically oversold by 15 seats, so each journey became an exercise in futility.) Each day, we would return to the hotel disappointed, unpack, and settle in for another 24 hours - - - only to do the same thing the next day. It got tired really fast, let me tell you! It was heartbreaking to try explaining to my grieving mother that we did not make the day's only flight.

Nevertheless, the guide staff and interim manager, Laura Rosenberg, would take me out on private excursions and made a special effort to keep me occupied in appropriate ways. I didn't want to hang around the hotel much because I felt like a pariah every time I entered a public room and didn't want to be a "downer" for anyone else's vacation. Word travels fast in such an environment. ("Look. There's the man whose father died. He STILL hasn't gotten off the island yet? Poor guy.").

I could go on and on, but I won't. It's taken me nine months to write this review, because I wanted it to be perfect, but I've had to let go of that. Suffice to say that I experienced something I never expected, the staff rallied around me, supported me, consoled me, kept me occupied, looked out for me, protected me, and cared for me. I will be forever grateful for the assistance shown to me by everyone there. I would like to name several people who contributed so much. I hope they know that I will never forget them and all they did for me: Laura, Beno (who took me on an unforgettable hike up to Poike in the pouring rain), Gina (who convinced me that the statues really did walk), Maha, Nune, Juanita in Housekeeping (what an exuberant spirit), and bartender Carlos, who is one of the most positive and upbeat people I've ever met!

Go. You will not regret it; it is truly the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ExpertTripPlanner

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Everything was perfect for our stay from the moment we picked up our bags at the airport in Hanga Roa until it was time to board the plane back to Santiago. We were welcomed by the manager, Claudia, as if we were guests in her home. Our guides (JoJo, Nicolas, Nune, Martin) were terrific and knowledgeable about Rapa Nui. We learned a lot while enjoying the hiking and views. While the island is small and a 3-night stay is nearly long enough to see most of it, we would liked to have stayed longer just to enjoy the accommodations. The food was great, with a wonderful variety of fresh juices (try the raspberry for sure), and the meats and fish were perfectly prepared. The wait staff was prompt and attentive. Even sitting in the lounge area, someone would come by and ask if you would like something. While the hikes were pre-scheduled, there was a lot of flexibility in making changes. The lodge is several km outside Hanga Roa, but there were opportunities to go into town. One of our group wanted to attend Sunday mass and the staff gladly took her to church. The rooms were very comfortable, well-maintained and spotless, and all have the same view. There are certainly cheaper accommodations on Easter Island, but this is a great place to stay if you have the money (and it is pricey). We also stayed at Explora Patagonia this trip. The only thing better about that property was the location/views. Otherwise, the management, staff and food were much better at Explora Rapa Nui.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We have spent three nights in this hotel for celebrating our honey moon a couple of weeks ago. Easter Island more than exceeded our expectation and a great part of it was due to this amazing hotel. From the pick up at the airport to our check-out we had everything just perfect. The staff is really professional, the restaurant is very good and the infra-structure to all the tour we made is impressive. We would thank the guide YoYo to the awesome guidance and for sharing all his knowledge of this fantastic island!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My wife and I have stayed at all three explora lodges – Rapa Nui and Atacama on our most recent trip and explora Patagonia in 2011. Explora Rapa Nui is the ‘gold standard’ of the three – the food and staff are superior, and the activities and lodging are as good as Patagonia. Our guides - Carlos, David, Nicolas, Nune, Maha and Camila - were outstanding. Excursions were moderately challenging, informative and fun. My favorite excursion was fishing with Carlos, but all hikes were great. Other good hikes were the Moai quarry and the Birdman crater.

The food would be amazing anywhere, and given the locale sourcing has to be difficult. The soups (avocado and tomato), fish (breca), meats (filet and lamb) and desserts (cinnamon cake) were exceptional. Some of the best food we had on our trip. One day we had a BBQ near Anakena Beach which was also fantastic. Compliments to the chefs!

The hotel and its people just give off a good vibe. I wish we had stayed for another night or two.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonnieKat
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Reviewing the recent postings about the hotel and having just returned this week, I can certainly see where some guests would love it and others would have qualms.

I am in the middle.

No question, operating a luxury resort out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is a challenge.

The attention to details and concern for the experience of the guest are impressive and worthy of praise. It seems there are areas for reasonable critique, if addressed, could move the property into the category of the great resorts of the world.

Great guides but if you listen carefully to the perfect English, sometimes the words do not fit into a meaningful explanation. One guide was great until I listened attentively and couldn't figure out what she was actually saying. Others like Carlos were superb on all levels.

Then the food. ..beautifully presented but after a couple of meals it all looked remarkably similar in appearance and often taste. Lunch was presented exactly like the evening meal. I would really have liked the opportunity for a sandwich or soup at lunch and not a similar presentation of fish or tenderloin as the evening meal. Meals at a resort like this should present surprises and not become routine.

Our best surprise was a couple with us went fishing, and the hotel prepared four of the catch for our appetizer that evening. Delicious. The same two salads and three dressings were offered everyday at lunch and dinner with the meal. Maybe have different salad choices.

And a shoutout to Carlos the bartender, the best!!!

Several reviews have commented on water bottles. We each were presented one in our room with the invitation to take home with us as souvenirs.

Hotel had great new comfortable vans.

This is a great property. . . with tweaking and more surprises in the dining room, it could become a world class resort.

Let's hope for the best!!!

Room Tip: Upgraded to a corner suite that was grand!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank DownSouthUS
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I was amazed by the review by "zynka". He seems to forget he was staying at a modern facility on an Island which is literally in the middle of nowhere.
Staff were exceptional from Claudia the manager down and the guides very knowledgeable. The complainant knew the price in advance and it is truly "all inclusive". Drinks are unlimited and free and wines are of very decent quality. Perhaps he should have read more about what one goes to Rapa Nui for. Complaining about having to stand in front of 15 Muai statutes (one of the most stunning experiences I have had the good luck to undertake) demonstrates that he/she had somewhat bizarre expectations from Easter Island.
The architecture of the hotel is stunning, having been modeled on an ancient form of housing and the views are a pleasant combination of fields and seas.
We found the planning of our stay to be comprehensive and excursion plans for our entire stay were discussed and agreed as soon as we arrived.
Overall I consider our experience at the Explora to be outstanding and unique

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AGENT-DG
Reviewed 18 November 2013

You might be reading this review to find out....is it "worth it"? Between the expense of Explora and the effort to get to Easter Island...it is quite a commitment. But is it worth it...YES on all accounts! We can't imagine a better introduction to this mysterious Island and the amazing Rapa Nui than Explora. From the incredible architecture.....small but beautifully designed rooms (you will spend little time in them anyway) to the wonderful food and amazing service...everything is as it should be. Some of the excursions were on the challenging side (for us) and it made the journey that more amazing. Gina......you gave us a day we will remember forever. Martin let the island come to life for us ....from a day at the beach to the fantastic tuna fish empanadas on the way to town our final day (that only come second to soup dumplings in Shanghai) The Pisco sours at the bar had a special touch and came with a huge smile from our new friend Carlos. Meals were wonderful and if we made one mistake...it was not staying a 4th night. and maybe bringing a backpack that held a water bottle (I think this should be provided for use during your stay) or hiking pants which I bought at the Explora store. (no backpacks available) (and maybe its time to upgrade the resorts vans) Nitpicking and that is hard to do here.....really. The Moai were as impressive as we imagined but so were the craters and landscape of the island in general. Our excursions were arranged in a perfect arc thanks to Beno..... that opened our eyes to a world we have seen for so many years in pictures. It is hard to manage expectations and Explora did it (and then some) We left with a tear in our eye hoping to one day return.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room. The hotel is designed to spend the most time in the wonderful...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple