“Wonderful experience, people and service”

explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 5 August 2014

great experience there with my teenage kids. Sites were great, long trip to the island from Santiago, and neat sites on the island.....if you go, it is well worth staying here. Wonderful service, food, excisions and guides.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank zolameyer
explorachile, Brand Manager at explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2015

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your time at explora Rapa Nui. It sounds like the explora experience was just right for you and your family. Easter Island is definitely an ideal place for family vacations.

Among many aspects, the explora experience centers around a variety of activities and excursions, which I am glad you found 'excellent'.

I would like to take this opportunity to make you aware of the Explorers' Benefit, a recognition program including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. More information can be found on our website.

There are newer reviews for explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here as part of a National Geographic tour of Patagonia, with Easter Island as an option extension. I am SO glad that we decided to add on Rapa Nui. It is truly a unique place.

We loved our stay in Explora Lodge in Torres del Paine, so we were expecting great things as we headed for Explora Rapa Nui. We weren't disappointed in the least! It's such a tiny island that you would think there's no way you could fill up a three night stay with activities, but you'd be wrong! I wish we had stayed four nights.

I wish I could remember the name of the guide we had every day. I can't believe I forgot it! He was great and so much fun. The whole hotel staff is so friendly. Definitely opt for the hike up to the Bird Man Village (rather than taking the van up) if your mobility and fitness level allows. It's an incredible walk.

The food was just as impressive as the food at Explora Patagonia. I don't know how the hotel manages to get that kind of food to their remote hotels. It's amazing. I wasn't able to try out the spa, as I didn't think to book a massage early enough. I tried on our next to the last day to book one for the following day and they were full. I don't know how early you need to book, but if you're interested in booking a service, definitely ask, because they can and do book up!

Explora Rapa Nui was beautiful, relaxing, romantic, and all around just a great vacation spot. If you manage to make it to the most remote island in the world, you might as well stay in the best hotel they have to offer, and that is definitely Explora.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KittycatParty

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your time at explora Rapa Nui. It sounds like the explora experience was just right for you and I agree: it is far away from everything, but extremely surprising. Most travelers usually regret not staying an additional night.

Among many aspects, the explora experience centers around a variety of activities and excursions, all of which are designed to give travelers an abundant choice for experiencing a remote destination and its unique culture. It is always a challenge worth taking,

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We flew from Tahiti to Easter Island to encounter the Moai and the Rapa Nui care of Explora Mike Rapa . We left having done almost everything you could do on 23 sq m of island in the middle of the South Pacific, thousands of kilometers from South America and Tahiti. The most isolated island on earth but due to the wonderful staff of Explora, one of the most rewarding.

We discovered the history and geography of the island through the hotels guides. We felt as though we met the people. We experienced Rapa Nui culture and hospitality with a Chilean flavour.

A special thanks to Maha and Roberto who made our extended stay pleasurable and informative. And to Claudia for having these two wonderful staff. Most people stay 4 days we stayed a week and a few more days wouldn't have hurt. The weather didn't permit snorkelling or diving and we missed the horse riding but we got to learn about the petroglyphs and the fascinating journeys the Polynesians must have made across the oceans. We got to climb volcanoes, tramp across the island in the rain picking wild guava and picnic on a volcanic beach.

So why almost Wow? We'd just been to Southern Ocean Lodge (SOL) on Kangaroo Island and experienced food and accommodation that were both exquisite. That has now set the bar.

We first encountered Explora in Patagonia in 2004 and that special feeling of that lodge is not quite the same in Easter Island. But the granduer of Tores del Paine and the cosy safety of the hotel in the Andes Mountains is impossible to replicate.

Easter Island has a totally different feel. Spoilt by being somewhat Australian in introduced flora, the lodge nonetheless felt appropriate if not quite as appointed as SOL. The rooms well designed, had very very comfortable beds and double basins. My only gripe was the toilet had glass into the room so if a light is turned on in the middle of the night it may disturb your partner. Our room had a limited view but we weren't inside for much. A couple of extra square meters and comfy chairs to read on would be good but if you're only there for 4 days its not necessary.

There is a large lounge/bar and separate dining room. The all inclusive price meant we didn't need to sign chits. I'm beginning to think there is something in this as we've been to a few places where we pay top end prices but forget our worries on the way. In contrast see our recentLe Meridien & St Regis experience in Tahiti.

The breakfasts were good, a smorgasboard of Chilean/European style and perfectly cooked eggs of your choice.

The rest of the food always 3 courses, well balanced with choices and always a soup available for dinner. But, not anything that wowed me. Haute cuisine, yes. But basic in technique, wooden and lacking in love. Either meat or fish with purée vegetables and a salad. Why serve wagyu beef when beautiful pasture fed meat and chicken was available? The mains were truly uninspiring and apart from a beef and beetroot carpaccio I was unimpressed. Although she may say otherwise.If you're not a fan of baby food ask for sautéed vegetables which were perfectly done with a little olive oil. I suspected the staff ate better and my feelings were confirmed when the lodge threw a barbecue (that guests and staff ate) with fish and prawns grilled on hot rocks with some simple salads, quinoa and puy lentils - yum! Even better as it was a communal occasion for guests rather than the separate dining tables for all other meals.

The wait staff were lovely if some were a little forgetful. I'm more inclined its due to my lack of Spanish than anything else.

Don't miss the pisco sour and take any opportunity to talk to the staff about their stories. They were all interesting and interested. As they live in the community you'll learn more.

So now Explora Atacama ... Here she comes.

PS. Don't expect to see chicken on the menu.

Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank GAAN

Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your extremely complete and entertaining review on your explora Rapa Nui experience.

I'm sorry it was almost wow, and would absolutely loe to hear what we could hae done in order for it to have been all the way WOW. If you feel like sharing a bit ore of your insight with me, please contact me.
rsharman@explora.com

Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Easter Island is incredible. The entire island is an archeological site and its magic is revealed gradually with exploration. Visitors who drop in just to see the Moai and leave are missing so much. We spent an amazing 5 days hiking the various parts of the island, and the Explora guides are the best. The food and service were wonderful at the lodge. The only negative was that the A/C wasn't working and it was very humid so our room was stuffy and damp. Management sent a fan in which alleviated this. You have to remember where you are, and repairs are not easy in such a remote location.

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically the same. There are a couple of suites.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mntngurl
explorachile, Brand Manager at explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Traveler,

At explora, we focus on providing our guests with the best possible service. I was sorry to read that the air conditioning wasn`t working in your room. Please note that this problem has now been taken care of. As you mentioned, operating in an isolated and remote location can prove to be difficult at times, however we always strive to do the best we can and resolve any difficulties or issues that may arise in a prompt and effective manner. I was pleased to read that management successfully resolved the problem with the air conditioning in your room.

I agree that Easter Island is incredible and that the magic is indeed revealed gradually with exploration. There is so much to be discovered on the island and we believe that in order to truly embrace the local experience, travelers require a minimum stay of 3 nights at our explora Rapa Nui lodge. In this way, guests can fully appreciate their surroundings and are thoroughly informed about the destination, its history and culture.

I would like to take this opportunity to make you aware of the benefits of our Former explora traveler benefit, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. More information can be found on our website.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our time at Explora Rapa Nui immensely. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating; kudos to the chefs for great food and a wonderful outdoor barbecue; guides were knowledgeable and helpful. The ratio of price to benefits results in a high value, despite the high price. It is worth it. If you can go to Easter Island, do stay at Rapa Nui. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed very good to me and all face the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
explorachile, Brand Manager at explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at explora Rapa Nui.

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for highlighting the cuisine offered at our explora Rapa Nui lodge. We seek to enhance the original flavors of selected ingredients, avoiding excess and alteration. Our cuisine offers pure flavors based on the best-quality ingredients, many of which are produced locally on Easter Island. I was also delighted to read that you found our outdoor barbecues “wonderful”.

We focus on providing the highest level of customer service and listen carefully to the voices of our guests, striving to cater to each and every individual request they may have. I am therefore delighted to read your satisfaction with our staff and that you found them to be very accommodating and attentive. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to them

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were not sure we wanted to go to Easter Island, but as our flight from Tahiti to Santiago stopped there it seemed churlish not to get off. I was also rather intimidated by what I had read about the resort as I am not young and sporty, and enthusiastic reviews of long hikes leave those of us with 2 metal hips somewhat cold. However, our stay at Rapa Nui was a highlight of our 4 month Round the World trip. The island is amazing with wonderful scenery, and the Moai, and we had delightful weather. The guides were very good, tailoring trips to our limitations, but also ensuring that we saw all the major sights. Without exception, the guides were also extremely helpful if the walking got difficult.
The resort itself was outside of the main town, surrounded by farming country. As well as beautiful views, one lunchtime we got a display by "gauchos" in the sense that local farmers on horseback rounded up their cattle. There was also an abundance of bird life at the resort.
We were extremely comfortable in our room, the food was surprisingly sophisticated, and the bar produced a good pisco sour! It all added up to a wonderful few days.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 476David
explorachile, Brand Manager at explora Rapa Nui - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a very kind and positive review on your explora Rapa Nui experience. I am delighted to read that in spite of some initial doubts regarding Easter Island and the type of experience offered by explora, you had a great stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting the excursions offered at our explora Rapa Nui lodge and our team of guides. Our activities are designed to cater for all levels of ability. Our highly-trained guides positively encourage our guests to push themselves to new limits, while upholding the respective safety standards. We pride ourselves in making each explora experience active and memorable and our guests are never forced to undertake an activity they are not comfortable with. Our staff is largely composed of local Rapa Nui people and they take a lot of pride on their island, heritage and what they do. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to our explora Rapa Nui team.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Amazing place with lots of activities to do. Perfect for those who enjoy walking, diving, horse riding, climbing volcanoes. The hotel offers great guides (the best) who accompany all these activities, and gives information about the history of the moai. Great food. For all ages, ideal for a family or group of friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your explora Rapa Nui experience. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end.

Thank you for highlighting the range of activities that we offer at our explora Rapa Nui lodge. We offer 18 different full-day and half-day explorations, perfect for travelers that enjoy being active and exploring unique and new surroundings. Our guides are all highly trained, and many of them are local to the island. I am delighted that you found them “the best” and will be sure to pass your kind comments on.