“Amazing place”

Residencial Vaianny
Ranked #5 of 46 Easter Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 January 2014

After around 30 hours flight we reached this wonderful place, we have stayed in residencial vaianny for three nights.

We reached the host at the airport and drove us around the main street, introduce us the shops, places and showed us the spots around. We stayed in a three beds room, is clean and there has a shared kitchen so you can cook there. The host gave us a welcoming papaya juice is really good taste, have a heart-warm feeling.

We have tour around the island and really wonderful we have the chance to explore this mystery place.

One day the wifi in the house is not working and the host replaced the router in the next day, is really not expected and much appreciated. Lovely, and highly recommend!! Still can't believe I have been there until now. Great experience, love the people, love the island, and love residencial vaianny!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Located in the middle of the Hanga Roa town just off the main street, this lovely little hotel provides warmth and coziness like your own home. It provides clean and comfortable room, a pick up and drop off service to and from the airport. The breakfast is simply amazing. They even have WiFi which I honestly didn't expect in the middle of such a remote place. A lot of people may be complaining about the WiFi speed but you have to keep in mind the remoteness of Easter Island before you make such judgements. Rene, the owner of the hotel is such a gentleman. He arranged a great tour for us - Patricio is one of the best guides you can ask for. I'd love to go back to this magical island at least one more time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed 1 week at Vaianny, the location is great, 1 block from main street and 3 blocks from the ocean. The room was clean, hot water all the time and nice bed to rest at night. Breakfast was good, local fruits are served daily, bread, coffee and juice. Wifi sucks, but is not only here, the entire island has bad internet connection.
We spent Christmas night at Vaianny and Joahanna made a Rapa Nui BBQ to share with all the guests, We met other guests from other parts of the world and everybody was amazed with the charming of the local people. Johanna and Keka always find us a last minute reservation for Tours, restaurants and Cabalgata. All recommendations were right. We rented a car from her and it was cheaper than the other businesses.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the guest house here and thought it was the ideal spot to explore the island. It started off well right from the start with a lei greeting at the airport by Rene, a quick tour of Hanga Roa and then breakfast (we had landed at 5 am) where Rene discussed various options and places to explore on the island. .Vaianny is just a block from the main street, Tamu Tekena, where most of the restaurants are and it is just a couple of blocks from the harbor. One of the great things was hanging out in the back garden of the Vaianny in the afternoon after a long day sightseeing, reheating empanadas in Vaianny's small kitchen (you have full access), kicking back with a couple of beers and talking with the other guests from all over the world. The rooms are nice we had three beds in ours and an in suite bathroom with a small shower - it was nice being so close to Hanga Roa, you could not beat the spot (or the price).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

In a word, abysmal. I had reserved a Vaianny single, private garden view room six months before my arrival. But I was met at the airport and informed that I did not have a room that day. I was told that another guest staying at Vaianny had some return flight issue, so that guest was offered my room for another night. I was to be put in another hotel for one night. (I had sent Vaianny a confirming email the day before my arrival, restating the time of my arrival. Vaianny acknowledged my email.)

If this guest was inconvenienced by its airline, then it should have been they who moved to another hotel for one night, not me. I should not have been inconvenienced by what their airline did to them. What kind of remedy was that?

I asked if there were other options. I was told No. So instead of enjoying my Easter Island vacation on my first morning, I had to repack my bags and move to Vaianny and unpack my bags again. I was told I would be transferred at 9:30 a.m. But the transfer did not occur until after 10:30 and it was 11:00 a.m. before I finally got access to my room. A wasted morning.

Otherwise Vaianny was just an average hostel. Its WiFi sucked. The room walls were thin -- I could easily hear conversations and a toddler crying in the adjoining room. And tt helps if you like cats, they had a couple young ones who meowed much of the night during my stay. You will need earplugs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank James S
Vaianny, Gerente at Residencial Vaianny, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

We at Vaianny are very sorry that the stay with us was not positive. As far as the first night is concerned, we apologize for the situation that arose (having to stay in another hostel) and we did our best to accommodate both guests as best we could. One point to address about the following morning was that we arrived early to transfer the guest to our accommodation. As the guest was eating breakfast at the time however, we were forced to wait until he finished before the transfer could occur thus for the ``wasted morning`` we do not feel entirely culpable. Finally, the island does have a few hotels which cater to a clientele that seek total tranquility and exclusivity providing the complete `hotel` experience but at a significant price and relatively far from the centre of town. We at Vaianny strive to offer modest, clean accommodation at a competitive price that is centrally located. With this in mind, many guest houses within the town keep cats to control pests such as rats. While for the vast majority of guests this does not pose a problem, for some it could. For this reason, if a more high end `hotel` type accommodation is desired, then more appropriate options do indeed exist on the island.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We met lots of interesting people on our week long adventure to Easter Island. Basically you can do this place two ways... Way expensive as in 1000$/night or on the cheap like us at 50$/night.

Having traveled far and wide, let me tell you that this isn't the Hilton. Do expect to understand local people, nice folks who live with not much and seem to enjoy the daily routine. The room was very clean, the onsite housemaid is at it almost all day. Everything is clean, there is ample hot water and a good bed to sleep on. There is a shared kitchen with basic amenities you can use at will, which we did to save on breakfast and some lunches. Johanna rents micro 4x4's on site and has pretty good english to help you find your way around the sites or help you book a tour...

We paid 50$/night in mid-october, not yet high season but very cheap considering people we met said they were paying upwards 170$/night with occasional hot water and a few big bugs thrown in for free! We got a few free ones as well, but they're good protein! (seriously, anyone travelling in second and third world countries needs to understand they are part of the charm!!!)

EVERYTHING on the island is expensive as it's flown or floated in from the mainland. So if you're on a budget friendly expedition like we are, this is a good place and a great way to save some bucks and use the extra cash for restaurants and excursions during the week...

We would stay here again 100%, you can read our blog post on marquestra to get additional info on this place and Easter Island as well...

Room Tip: What ever room you get, remember that this place is "in town", you get the full feel! Dogs...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marquestra
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I really wanted to stay at this hostel. In fact, I even recommeded it to my friends for December 2012. My friends had a great experience as the place is literally near the main street.

As I started communicating with the owner via e-mail, the price for a single room was not explained correctly. Further, she LIED and said that I cannot book a tour with those her hostel offered because it is only offered to those who are staying in her hostel. So, to get the tour, I asked if I can pay the higher price for the room. Then, she LIED again and said that there were NO other rooms left. With the day and age of the internet, I did a bit of snooping and discovered that she LIED again since there are rooms avaialbe thru hostelworld.com Her response when I mentioned this? "OK, as you prefer." Who would want to stay at a place where the level of customer service is like this?! Really RUDE.

As such, I ignored her last email and proceeded to ask advice through the Tripadvisor forum.

I dislike giving bad reviews, but, I just want the public to know that there are better options in the island that are:
1. Friendlier
2. Cheaper
3. Has great WIFI
4. Offers free breakfast
5. Gives TRUE tour suggestions (oh, and the tour she suggested is $30 more expensive that it really is)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo