“Breathtaking, gave me chills”
Review of Ahu Tongariki

Ahu Tongariki
Book In Advance
More Info
US$135.00*
and up
Easter Island Full-Day Tour: Ahu Tongariki, Rano...
More attraction details
Owner description: 15 Of The Island's Famous Moai Statues Stand Here In A Military Lineup Upon A Flat Rock Platform.
Reviewed 6 October 2013

A not-to-be-missed location, the line-up of Moai by the sea. We went mid-afternoon and I took a nap lying down in front of the statues. There were wild horses wandering outside the area. The Moai here look like a community of the inhabitants of long ago. When I woke up from my nap my now-husband walked me down to the water and proposed! I will never forget this place ;) We were here in March of 2012.

2  Thank windycitywoman4
Write a ReviewReviews (1,684)
All reviews
in 8 reviews
"tsunami"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I've only seen the site in books and always wanted to come to the island and see these magical statues in the flesh. I'm happy to say that I have. Like everyone else has mentioned, this is probably the reason why you came to the island. The day I saw this site, it was overcast and very windy. At least it was not raining. The magic shot can be taken from the left most part of the platform. There is a small mound where you can stand on and seem to be at the same level of the Moais.

They really are impressive and massive. It was surreal that I was there. The tour I was at gave us 45mins to take in the views and take photos. Afterwards, I just saw down and stared and wondered how it would have been to be living there so many many years ago.

I would have liked to have witnessed the sunrise at this site as I was told it was impressive with the colors. However, the time I was here, it was not the case. So, I missed out on that.

Overall, if you were to pick one place to see in the island, this is it!

2  Thank mariessima
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This place is breathtaking: the ahu comprises 15 awe-inspiring moais, and is probably the most famous sight of the island (and possibly the reason you came here for).

Tip: try to go early in the morning, before the tours arrive, and you'll get a surreal experience feeling like you're travelling back to the 15th century.

3  Thank Menelaos_Megariotis
Reviewed 26 August 2013

One of the most incredibles and breathtaking spots i've ever been. It has a natural energy which you feel, not only because of the 15 huge moais in front of you, but essencialy because of natural beauty towards the ahus that combines volcanos, the sound of the waves, the colour of the sea, the vulcanic stones nearby and the beautiful sky. Watch a sunrise there its's a unique experiency

3  Thank edufel
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The first view I had of this Ahu was from Ranu Raraku. With the right lens and light, it is an impressive sight from the quarry..

It is important to get to the site early in the morning, just after sunrise for the best shots. Once you have your "Kodak moment" make sure you explore it. There is a crematorium behind the Ahu that was included in its reconstruction after the tsunami.

Take a walk to the edge of the rock fence in front of the Ahu to step onto the low platforms to view some wonderful petroglyphs. Again, early light will make these easier to discern.

If you have the opportunity, go back at night if it is clear for a shot with the stars above. Very special.

4  Thank Ian B