“Great place to stay, but not for the high-maintenance traveler.”
Review of Iorana Hotel

Iorana Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 10 March 2011

When researching Easter Island hotels, the one thing that truck me about ALL of them was the wide range of reviews -- from terrible to excellent -- for any given hotel. Having said that, I didn't know what I was getting into when we picked this one. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds and view are beautiful. The rick pool down the hill from the regular pool is AMAZING. And you're a 5 minute walk from some neat caves. Also a 15 min walk into town which is not bad at all considering it is safe to walk around the island all hours of the night. The rooms are fine and clean, but again, if you are used to staying in 4-5 star hotels, Easter Island is not for you. I think all of the hotels are pretty primitive, but that is just the style of the island. I heard rumors there is a $1000/night fancy hotel somewhere on the island so if you can't stand basic accommodations try there. I agree with the other reviews that the restaurant is not worth it. Its only a 15 min walk to town, so just go there. There is wi-fi that is only about $10 for 5 days, available in the lobby only... but HINT, if your room is close to the lobby you can pick it up in your room. We did. Some things we weren't expect was not being able to flush toilet paper in the toilet and hot water at only certain times of the day, but none of these were deal-breakers for laid back travelers. All in all, I would stay here again. Contrary to other reviews, I found the staff to be helpful. Helps to know a little spanish, though. Their English was just OK, but good enough. Bottom line, we were 3 sisters ages 23-30 and to us, the pros of the hotel outweighed the cons. Oh, and you'll hear roosters throughout the day.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 February 2011

The view overlooking the crashing waves below from the pool patio is outstanding!

I will have to stop there for anything positive to say about this "resort". The on-site manager who I understand is the daughter of the owner, is rude, hostile, unacommadating,,,I could go on and on about her, but I won't. The staff I think would like to be helpful but work in fear of Caroline, who forbides good service or being friendly to guests.

You are not allowed to deposit toilet paper into the toilet, not sure why they call it toilet paper, you are not allow to soil a towel, why would you use a towel if you were not soiled? My electronic room key did not work 80% of the time and to ask for one that would work was treated as if I were being the guest from hell! Ugly American actually expects to have a key that allows him entry into his overpriced room?????

I could add other examples,(we were only there 2 nights) but if this and the other post's you will read are not enough to steer you away from this property then I have no remorse for you!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank RCtravels66
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Easter Island is remote and one should not expect to not have all the luxuries of a Marriortt or Hilton...Easter Island does have such accommodations, so be open minded to this fact.

This hotel could be charming if the basic free items such as niceness, a smiles, and charm were used by the staff and owner. The evil sister comment from another review was perfectly utilized. Carolinia, the EVIL one, is nothing but RUDE. Her customer service skills compared to bull at a bull fight....She gives you evil glares when she passed you on the property, confronts you with a bad attitude when you meet her at the front desk to "dare" ask for another towel, and apparently is only happy when you are checking out to leave the island. DO WATCH OUT FOR EXTRA CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, and prepare for a nasty confrontation when you do inquired about food and beverage charges on your account the occurred the day before you ARRIVED at the hotel. When she says, "How do I know they were not your charges?" and she ask to see your airline ticket...Let the lack of customer services chaos begin.

Beware of the ants in your room! Do not put toilet paper in the toilet bowl! Do not leave your A/C on while you are away during the day! Beware of asking for more towels! and DO NOT ask for a late checkout! AND do expect you electronic key card for room entry to NOT work at least once a day if not more....The Mauhi statues have more customer skills than the owners of this hotel.

There are limited hotel options on the island, but even a more basic hotel would have been more enjoyable if you do NOT have to stomach the evil sister during your stay.

In summary, the view is nice.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Well_Traveled_abroad
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I opened the door to my room, and thought there had to be a mistake. After privately having a meltdown in my room, I calmed down and decided to make the best of it, as if I were on a camping trip or something to that effect. Having finally chilled out , that evening I got some wine and went into the lobby to get on my computer (its the only area where you can get wifi for a fee) I accidentally spilled some on the chair and was immediatly scolded by one of the evil sisters, then handed a slip of paper to clean the fabric on the chair. They had the nerve to charge me $16 for it.
The people who work there were incredibly rude, and unfriendly. The only person who was friendly was the woman who cleaned my room. She and I became instant friends and the woman who gave me the strength to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank mwafricakh
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Iorana is located a bit out of town of Hanga Roa
on a cliff facing West. Beautiful views of waves and rocks
from the restaurant and all rooms.
Friendly but not very professional service.
Avoid the restaurant on site. Overpriced food
and poor quality pisco sour. Even though
you will spend $3 on taxi to town it is worth it.
Water in the pool not very clear so I did not see
anyone in it. Very nice pool next to the ocean
seemed to be a bit neglected.
Loud air conditioner in the room.
All this said I am not sure if there are many
better options on Rapa Nui.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hugon20
Reviewed 26 November 2010

This hotes has been around for a while and some rooms are definitely in need of refurbishment. The setting, however, with ocean views, far outweighs other inconveniences. We paid extra for a superior room, but feel this may only make the difference between a refrigerator in the room, as most rooms seem to be of a good size. We certainly has a room with one of the best views, so maybe this is part of paying extra?
We initially stayed in room 15 which was large, owing to 3 beds in the room. The bathroom was in need of some repairs and updating, but overall we were satisfied. We were then asked (very nicely) if we could change to room 19 as a family was arriving. This was a smaller room, but still large and more modern. The view was even better.
The food is not so good if you are vegetarian, like us and the bar almost non-existent, but again, we loved the setting and were very comfortable there.
Some staff are more friendly than others, but all respond to a smile and buenas dias or hola.
It takes 20 minutes to walk into the small town, but taxis are inexpensive. Be advised, Easter Island is an expensive place to stay so you are unlikely to find any bargains.
Yes, the cockerals are noisy but they did not prevent us from sleeping after a hard day of sightseeing!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2010

we spent 2 nights , We had booked way ahead in February with guaranteed rates which included airport pick up and drop off. No one came to pick us up as promised. When we were checking out, the rates they billed us were $ 160 over what they had guaranteed us ! When we insisted that we pay what was promised , they refused and threatened to call the police ! We had no time to waste as we have to catch our only flight to Santiago ! They robbed from us the additional $ 80 per room per day from the promised rate. We have travelled all over the world , but we have never seen such dishonest people who you cannot trust. Please dont stay at this hotel ! There are better hotels in Easter isLAND

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple