“Beautiful, tidy gardens made it worth the stay”
Review of O'tai Hotel

O'tai Hotel
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Easter Island
Whanganui
“Beautiful, tidy gardens made it worth the stay”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stayed here for 9 nights. It was an excellent place to base myself on the island because of it's central location. It was within a few steps to the main street. My room was very basic, but everything in it worked. They provided clean towels every day, and soap and shampoo. The breakfast was nice and nourishing....the coffee was good. But I didnt have access to a cup of coffee during the day, only at breakfast. To buy a coffee on the island is quite expensive. It would have been nice to be able to make a cup of coffee in my room. I found the office people very good to deal with. They even changed money for me. I was able to book guided tours through the office too. There was a long power cut on the island the second night of my stay and I was provided with a candle. Apparently the power cuts are a very regular occurance and the islanders get fed up with it. They had a family of cats at the hotel who came to visit me in my room a lot. I didnt mind as I love cats, mother cat and her kittens...very cute. One of the cleaners gave me a lovely massage. Her name was Margureta. ( I hope I spelt that right) . I could not speak any Spanish at all. But thank you Margaretta! My bed was very comfortable and I was still asleep when she came in to clean my room. Over all this was a nice place to stay. I enjoyed it here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We booked our stay on LAN.com as this was much cheaper than booking flight and hotel separately. So the hotel came as part of the deal. We stayed in the old part and the room was really basic and dirty. The were spider webs in the cupboard, in the bathroom the were a lot of ants. Obviously there were killed the next day but they kept sticking on the wall. It was really hot so we tried to start the air condition but could not find the remote control. At the reception we were told that we have to pay extra 15 USD per day as an upgrade to use the air condition. But as the choice of hotels on reared island is not too big I am nit worried about the o'tai, guests will keep coming. And at least from the outside the new building looks nice. If you stay at the o'tai make sure that you stay there.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank MaxBGermany

Travellers are raving about these Easter Island hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I spent 3 nights here. The grounds are totally lovely and very reminiscent of Hawaii. What a let down that the room has very little by way of ammenities and questionable cleanliness. My bathroom floor was covered in hair and dirt that wasn't mine and was never cleaned after 3 days. The room had a safe but no key at reception so it didn't work. The AC was free which was good since I spent the first few hours killing the mosquitos in the room. The front deal staff is unfriendly and unhelpful. The only truly nice person was the gardener. He's really sweet. It's a shame about the rooms because from the outside the hotel has lots of potential. The breakfast was pretty good. The guacamole spread is excellent. And location wise most is in easy walking distance. And forget about beachside hotels. Easter Island doesn't have them. It's surprising.

• Stayed April 2011
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2011

our room was fairly large, the air conditioning worked and it was reasonably clean. The location is perfect, a couple of minutes walk to main street or to restaurants. Breakfast was not fancy but ok - if you wanted eggs, they were one dollar extra- no big deal. The gardens are well kept and beautiful. Would certainly recommend this place and would stay there again, nice swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
SEATTLE
Reviewed 30 December 2010

This is a family-run hotel with an excellent location, across the street from the post office (be sure to get your passport stamped there) and near the church and main shopping street. The rooms are not fancy but are clean and comfortable. No TV or telephone in the room, but they are available on the premises, along with wireless internet. Lovely gardens, swimming pool and good restaurant. The breakfasts are adequate, not fancy, but a dinner can be expensive. I visited other hotels that are much more remote from the center of town, and recommend this one because it's an easy walk to shop, visit cafes, dancing and museum, etc. and the hotel itself is well run.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This "hotel" is just terrible.
The "rooms" are dirty, smelly and small. You have to live out of your suitcase because there is no clean place where you want to put your belongings. We even had our doubt putting the suitcases on the floor! After a shower you don't feel better because you have to walk on that floor again...All in all you feel a bit like camping.
Then there is the breakfast: Crawling with flies, ants and other insects. After just seeing it we decided that we had had enough, and went back to our room to have a breakfast with biscuits and crackers.
We tried to speak to someone of the staff but that seemed inpossible. There was really no one with any responsibility there.
As a final sollution we phoned our travel agency to book us another hotel (Iorana, see my review). Of course there was no refund for the three remaining nights but actually we didn't care because the experience of Easter Island makes up a lot!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mpw001
Melbourne, FL
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I agree that hotel is average, but has great location. Within easy walking of a number of attractions. Staff was very helpful to us and arranged a half day private tour. Our tour guide was Patricia Hucke, who did a great job. She had a modern car and showed us most of the attractions on the island. Her price was less than a group tour for two people.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple