“Welcome Haven”
Review of O'tai Hotel

O'tai Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This place was basic but adequate.
There was an air-con unit in the room but no remote to be able to turn this on.
Location was wonderful only a short walk to the sea.
Breakfast was average.
Staff were friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here as part of an Easter Island stopover I had booked through Chimu Adventures. I chose a standard room.

The hotel location is excellent and is within easy walking distance to the main street and the oceanfront. I received a welcome juice on arrival which gave a nice touch. The garden surroundings are well maintained and beautiful. Internet access is available, but not free – the cost was $10,000 pesos for the whole stay. This might be okay if you were staying for a week, but ridiculous if only for 3 days like I was. There are cheaper internet access options in the main street. There is a communal living room next to the dining room which I discovered by accident while waiting for my departure transfer. A generous continental breakfast is offered in the mornings from 8 o’clock, and includes cereal, breads, meats, jam, cakes, juices & hot drinks.

The hotel room (Room No. 23) was huge. I was led to believe that every room had a view of the ocean, but this isn’t the case. You can see the ocean view only if you walk out your front door, and then maybe stand on your tippy-toes! I was also told it had a mini bar, but in reality, it was just a mini fridge! The hotel room was quite spartan and had no information provided for the guest. I tried operating the air conditioner but couldn’t regulate it properly. When I tried to use the phone to get advice from reception, I couldn’t work out what number to dial to ring them. Even after pressing every button, the phone still did not work.

The only significant annoyance I found was on the Friday & Saturday nights I stayed there, when a nearby nightclub (or private residence?) played all-night music. But don’t bother complaining as there is nobody at reception after 11pm.

In summary, I would recommend staying at the O'tai Hotel, as it is centrally located and quite pleasant, but perhaps not on the weekend, due to the noise.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Karen D
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here in July at the end of 6 week tip of South America.Welcome was excellent,room was more than adequate ,we had no trouble with hot water or ants ,other insects were less than I expected for a tropical island .Room was serviced daily we have no complaints there.
Breakfast we found a little sparse but typical of South America,butter would be nice.Bed was fine pillows a little flat,but we both slept well.
Communication and help we received at reception varied greatly on who was manning the desk from excellent to a disinterested attitude.
Pool looked very nice we did not use it ,a little cool and we had so much to see and do.
Grounds are wonderful relaxed tropical and well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed at O'Tai hotel for four nights and were initially impressed. We were welcomed with a fresh fruit juice and were impressed with the location of the hotel. It is situated near the Main Street for restaurants and shops, across the road from the post office (be sure to get you passport stamped!!) and within walking distance of Tahai, for that beautiful sunset shot.
The grounds of the hotel are well maintained and very colourful. It is a shame as much effort wasn't put into the rooms. The decor was very dated and the room felt dark and dare I say dingy. The bed was comfortable but the pillows felt quite lumpy. There was lukewarm water available for early showers and the bath had a lot of movement in the base which was quite disconcerting!
I noticed previous reviews has talked about a limited breakfast and I would echo this in terms of choice. However, the breakfast table was regularly restocked and the food looked fresh and inviting.
Overall I would recommend the hotel for its location, but not for its rooms.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andyn656
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Lovely hotel in a great location in Hang Roa. Friendly staff, comfortable bed, room has a fridge. Bathroom clean and adequate. Breakfast is typical South American, but plentiful-bread, cheese, ham, cereal, fruit, juice, tea and coffee. Across the road from the Post Office (get your passport stamped!) short walk to many restaurants and the supermarket. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Rapa Nui is truly an amazing spot, but all travelers should remember how very isolated it is. If you want to go to a 5 star resort, go somewhere else. Hotel Otai was a typical tropical hotel. Simple furnishings, clean by any standards and yes, there are bugs. And yes, the chickens were our alarm clock.(also very typical for the tropics) Our room had a lovely patio to enjoy happy hours(we brought our own) and you could see the sunset and a sliver of the ocean. The pool was still closed but the workers provided my husband with lots to watch while they built new decks. It will be very nice when they are done. The breakfast was more than ample, with daily changes and the lady in the breakfast room was nice.Very close to town so you can walk anywhere for meals. The gardens are lovely and lead you from the street to your room along a flower lined path. What's not to like?

Room Tip: Farther from the street is quieter, ask for a patio
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Is it worth a 5 hour flight from Santiago to visit Easter Island. Well I say yes. It was one of those places that had a magical feel to it. The bedroom was basic but clean and only 200 yards from the small harbour area. Breakfast was limited to cold ham, cheese and cereals. There were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room and no radio or TV (no problem there though!). It has a small bar but this was not open the 3 nights we were there but as it is heading to their winter this may explain it. It also has a small pool but this was closed for repairs. It is set in some lovely gardens but these are inhabited by chickens and the cockerels woke us up every morning around 5am!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple