“Beautiful gardens and great location”
Review of O'tai Hotel

O'tai Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is where all the "big time" archaeologists stay when they come to RapaNua. Why? The owners are lovely, helpful local people; the rooms are simple but clean; the staff is lovely; the gardens are beautiful; the location is ideal; the price is right; the breakfasts are delicious. When I was there, I don't think a day went by without new guests arriving. They cater to small tour groups, too. This place came on a recommendation, but I was pleased and I think you will be, too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Noel78

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I was unfortunate enough to be given a room with a chipped and stained bath, broken wardrobe, no outside seating area and walls devoid of any embellishment. Non too clean either. I don't like seeing balls of someone else's dusty hair in the corners. The bed was made daily but that was all. All the airy chalet style rooms had some sort of outside seating area. A swimming pool but no towels or cushions on the chairs. Delightful gardens but noisy dog barking behind my room all night and some sort of loud music at 3 am.
Food good and staff helpful

Room Tip: Check there is a balcony and double bed.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

After hiking the trails in Torres del Paine in Patagonia, we opted for a 4 day visit to Easter Island. This hotel, located on a side street a short walk from "town", provided a very pleasant and convenient stay. It's not a 5 star resort but is a step up from many small island hotels and is quite clean. We couldn't get the AC unit to work, but the ceiling fan kept the room temperature comfortable. We were welcomed to the hotel with a glass of fruit juice which was a nice touch after the long flight. The hotel is set in a very well maintained garden with a profusion of flowers. The grounds were truly lovely and a great place to relax after a day of touring. There is a nice pool but the water and air temps were too cool for us to enjoy it. Food on Easter Island is quite expensive, so having breakfast included at the hotel was a plus. The menu is always the same - fruit, crepes, bread, cereal, ham, cheese and tomatoes - but it was well prepared and didn't get monotonous for the 4 days we were there. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone travelling to this remote part of the world.

Room Tip: Although all rooms seemed quiet, rooms further back into the resort and away from the road are proba...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jann01
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Very nice hotel, lovely garden with lots of flowers and a few steps away from the center. The room was great, nice bed, bathroom but not that great luxury ( but that is not what we needed ) breakfast was good and the service was exellent!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Koekieboe
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This place was basic but adequate.
There was an air-con unit in the room but no remote to be able to turn this on.
Location was wonderful only a short walk to the sea.
Breakfast was average.
Staff were friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here as part of an Easter Island stopover I had booked through Chimu Adventures. I chose a standard room.

The hotel location is excellent and is within easy walking distance to the main street and the oceanfront. I received a welcome juice on arrival which gave a nice touch. The garden surroundings are well maintained and beautiful. Internet access is available, but not free – the cost was $10,000 pesos for the whole stay. This might be okay if you were staying for a week, but ridiculous if only for 3 days like I was. There are cheaper internet access options in the main street. There is a communal living room next to the dining room which I discovered by accident while waiting for my departure transfer. A generous continental breakfast is offered in the mornings from 8 o’clock, and includes cereal, breads, meats, jam, cakes, juices & hot drinks.

The hotel room (Room No. 23) was huge. I was led to believe that every room had a view of the ocean, but this isn’t the case. You can see the ocean view only if you walk out your front door, and then maybe stand on your tippy-toes! I was also told it had a mini bar, but in reality, it was just a mini fridge! The hotel room was quite spartan and had no information provided for the guest. I tried operating the air conditioner but couldn’t regulate it properly. When I tried to use the phone to get advice from reception, I couldn’t work out what number to dial to ring them. Even after pressing every button, the phone still did not work.

The only significant annoyance I found was on the Friday & Saturday nights I stayed there, when a nearby nightclub (or private residence?) played all-night music. But don’t bother complaining as there is nobody at reception after 11pm.

In summary, I would recommend staying at the O'tai Hotel, as it is centrally located and quite pleasant, but perhaps not on the weekend, due to the noise.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Karen D
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here in July at the end of 6 week tip of South America.Welcome was excellent,room was more than adequate ,we had no trouble with hot water or ants ,other insects were less than I expected for a tropical island .Room was serviced daily we have no complaints there.
Breakfast we found a little sparse but typical of South America,butter would be nice.Bed was fine pillows a little flat,but we both slept well.
Communication and help we received at reception varied greatly on who was manning the desk from excellent to a disinterested attitude.
Pool looked very nice we did not use it ,a little cool and we had so much to see and do.
Grounds are wonderful relaxed tropical and well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple