“Clean, friendly hotel”
Review of Hotel Manutara

Hotel Manutara
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Easter Island
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Hotel Manutara was a perfectly good base from which to explore Rapa Nui. The rooms are large and clean, the breakfast was decent enough, the staff friendly and the pool and gardens seemed well maintained.

When I was there the WiFi was broken but they let me use the computer in the office briefly. When working it is a 56k connection and only available in reception, not in the rooms.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the main street along a dimly lit road, so bring a torch.

It's certainly not a 4* hotel, but it's excellent value considering you're on Easter Island.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank swhale

Reviewed 30 November 2009

The rooms were large but not particularly clean. Poor location, you needed to walk 20+ minutes to get into town. Staff was helpful but the breakfast was quite poor. Some of the items were almost inedible. The swimming pool was a pea green color. The internet never worked the whole time we were there. The hotel was very overpriced for what it had to offer.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MaryAnne047
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Island hotels can be quite expensive but well worth the visit. Don't expect luxury or great food but do expect simplicity and, probably, a fair bit of rain.The hotel is decent and the staff helpful, you can (and need to) rent a car on site- (get a little 4x4). The island is sadly deforested but still beautiful. Make sure you see all the sights, absolutely brilliant, you will feel priviledged to have experienced Rapa Nui. If in any doubt "do the stop over" it'll be the best ever.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Hotel Manutara was a nice hotel but very basic. Unfortunately, one of the main reasons that we chose this particular hotel was because of the swimming pool. We visited the island in November which is their Spring so we thought that it would be very refreshing to enjoy this amenity. Upon arrival, we notice that the pool was under construction and could not be used at all during our entire visit. I wish that I had known this as it would have influenced my decision regarding a hotel greatly.

Another thing to watch out for: the weather! As we were preparing for our trip, I read quite a bit online regarding the weather on Easter Island. It said that it was quite windy and that one should bring a rain coat to prepare for the quick-forming rain storms. My husband and I planned accordingly. However, once we arrived we found a very different situation! It was VERY hot there (we live in Chicago, mind you...) and we definitely did not need any long sleeve shirts or rain gear! A downside to this hotel (or at least our particular room in this hotel) is that there is no air condition nor is there a fan in your room. You are able to open the screens to your room but there was not a good airflow that provided relief during the night. Also, we were a big apprehensive (perhaps wrongly) of leaving our screens open all day and night because the screens were almost "doors" in to the room that someone could come through at any time.

A big alert for all: BRING SUNSCREEN and sunburn treatment plus a good hat and sunglasses. The sun heat is bright, hot and intense! We were burnt to a crisp after our first full day of touring and suffered a lot!

Back to the hotel, we only had the option of breakfasts. They were simple, nothing special. We did not find the staff to be very conversant, but then again, we do not speak any Spanish.

We did enjoy the van transport to and from the airport which was nice. The hotel is a bit out of town and a medium walk in to the city. I would not have felt comfortable walking back at night by myself as it was a bit of a way and was not well lit.

Another note: this hotel is almost directly across the street from the airport. There are not many flights a day (2 or 3?), but for some, this may be too close and/or too noisy.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferE3
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights as a package with Aku Aku tours.
The hotel was clean with a basic but adequate buffet breakfast.
The hotel is a 10 minute walk away from the main street,
there are closer hotels but they don't seem to score so high for the price on tripadvisor.
Also had free wifi, in the reception and lounge areas, not in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UKRob
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I have just returned from Easter Island, where I had the good fortune to stay at the Manutara Hotel.

My room was large, comfortable, and very clean. The breakfasts included fresh fruit, a selection of bread and pastries, ham and cheese, bread, butter, and jam, and a somewhat diluted fresh fruit juice.

The staff was VERY friendly and helpful, and I especially enjoyed meeting Marilo and her husband, Andreas, part-owners who also manage the hotel. They were knowledgeable and informative about the culture/people/places to see. They even arranged a private tour for me on my last day.

The pool, though small, was very clean and the grounds were beautifully landscaped and well-maintained. I felt safe and secure at all times. The hotel is quiet and about a 25-minute stroll to the main tourist area of Hangaroa.

Right next door is a small restaurant owned by Tia Elena and her husband. The food is delicious, the portions are huge, and the prices/values are excellent.

The tour agency Aku Aku, also affiliated with the Manutara's owners, arranged several half day tours and one full day tour, all of which had excellent guides and interesting activities.

My nine-day stay was a wonderful experience for this well-seasoned world traveler, and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the island.

2  Thank ishkoman
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Easter Island is magic, and if you are lucky enough to stay in a great place like hotel Manutara , is perfect.
The staff from the hotel is very friendly, the rooms are unusually big and clean. The swimming pool is small but good enough.
I strongly recommend this hotel and the excursions with the agency Aku Aku.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Anna0270