“Cheap, reliable and well-supplied location with terrible wifi”
Review of Camping Mihinoa

and 1 more site!
Camping Mihinoa
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I just returned from a week-long trip to Rapa Nui, and stayed the entire time at Camping. I found Marta and Roger at the airport (though I emailed in advance and received no response), and they happily drove my partner and me back to the campsite and explained in Spanish (broken English a possibility; Roger's French seems strong) all of the offerings and rules, etc. To camp is very cheap, probably the best official deal on the island, though residenciales and homestays are undoubtedly more rewarding. Anyways, the crowd at Camping was friendly the entire time, and Marta and Roger are usually very helpful. If you are planning to tour around the island make sure to ask them about car rentals - they might be able to find you a deal.

We were assigned to a nice cupboard in the cooking area, which was clean and tidy. Outside however, roaches do come out pretty heavily at night, though I've never seen them in any of the buildings.

Wifi was always accessible, though brutally slow - to the point where I would maybe suggest finding a different place to send emails or check Facebook, w/e.

As others have said, the view of the ocean is unbelievable. You would be hard-pressed to find a place to stay with a better view on Rapa Nui. Lights are pretty bright in Hanga Roa at night, though. I brought one of the blindfolds from my LAN flight to use and it was helpful. Also, clean showers and bathrooms with reliable hot water!

Room Tip: Sleep on the ground.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MRumford

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Pluses: Most of Camping Minihoa is very satisfactory. The check-in is prompt, the ocean view is great, and the shared kitchen and rooms are kept spotless and other travelers, at least while I was there, were respectful about quiet hours. The location is a short walk from the main drag. I stayed in a room with a private bathroom (everything else was booked by the time I made the reservation) in the same building as the dorm rooms, and there was easy to access the kitchen, and a friendly environment without being too hostel-like.

Minuses: It was almost impossible to find Marta (the owner and front desk person) after my check-in. I had to vigilantly watch the office for two days so I could access some valuables she was holding for me, to pay my tour guide. Granted, she had a terribly sprained ankle, but I wonder if she could have sent someone else to get me. Also, the building I was in was overrun by roaches. I killed two large ones a day, during dinner at one point, and when I mentioned it to Marta in response to her query about whether I had a satisfactory stay, she shrugged and said, well, that's how it is here. Guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank mejean8
Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during our easter island holiday for 3 nights. We had a double room with a private bathroom. Although we reserved a room very late, the owner Marta picked us up from the airport. The room was nice and clean. The owner & staff very friendly and helpful. Compaired to other locations in town which are further away from the ocean, the location was nice with a fantastic ocean view. The hostel is not in downtown, but it took only 6-7minutes by foot to get there. All in all a very good place to stay for the money we paid.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Mihinoa is the perfect place to stay while visiting the Island! It is an absolutely beautiful place, with stunning ocean views, rooms are clean and comfortable, low prices (considering the rest of the accommodation options) and the owners, Roger and Marta, are nice and helpful.

Friendly family atmosphere guaranteed!

I loved it there, and the rest of the guests felt the same way.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ikuska_Sanz
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We just returned from a wonderful four night stay at Camping Mihinoa. We stayed in a room with a private bathroom, at a price of only $45 USD per night. I began researching budget hotels about a year ago, and I was delighted to find that this facility got great reviews, and had the lowest price I could find anywhere. If you are not a camper-type, consider staying here in a private room. There are just a couple of rooms with private bathroom, and a few with shared bathrooms. The tents looked nice, with a clean bathroom and kitchen area as well.

The owner, Marta and her husband live on the grounds and run a tight ship. Although Marta may seem over zealous to some people (rules about no shoes inside, and which kitchen you may use), the result is a very clean and orderly operation. Marta's husband is a real gentleman--he called for a cab for us one morning, and he walked out to the street with us to make sure that the cab driver did not overcharge us. Marta also has inexpensive manual cars for rent, and she can arrange a discount price for you on an automatic car.

Previous reviewers have complained that the facility is not in town, when in fact, it is at the end of the town, just down the street from the LAN office. To get to the other side of town, you can simply walk along the ocean, or through the town.

Lastly, Marta picked us up promptly at the airport, and when nine guests were leaving for the same flight, she arranged a second van to take all of us to the airport, all at no extra charge. And she presented us all with leis at the beginning, and necklaces at the end.

All in all, a very good stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CaliforniaLady09
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed here for three nights on our trip to Easter Island and found it met all of our needs. The location is wonderful, we were lucky enough that our tent was right at the front of the campsite so we faced the beautiful sunset and sunrise. The owners were friendly enough but did not speak English and as we did not speak French we were unable to communicate other than in minimal Spanish. They did provide airport pick up however and offered us airport return but we declined as it was not far to walk.

The facilities were very basic but clean. There was no hot water whenever I went to shower despite signs saying that the hot water was switched on during those hours. We were given a locker inside the kitchen but did not use this as our stay was very short.

It is a short and pleasant walk to the main street past a mini market where you can buy drinks and snacks. Along the front of the campsite is a very pleasant walk by the ocean side with lots of Moai to visit.

I don't think anything can beat the quietness at night and the clear view of the stars which I am not sure we would have got if we had stayed in a hotel. A really fantastic camp site. Just remember to bring your own toilet roll and enough sleeping bags etc if going in winter as we forgot these and were both cold and had to go shopping for tissue.

Room Tip: Our tent was quite isolated and right by the front of the campsite, near the sea which was very roma...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TessicaW
Reviewed 9 April 2012

It's definitely the best price for lodging in Rapa Nui. And with a ocean view for the same price! The service is excellent (do not forget it is a camping, not a 5-star hotel!), and the location a little bit away (but only 15 min walk) from the village made it very quiet. The only problem, as usual for camping, is the other campers, who are not always aware that tent wall are not so isolated than a big concrete wall...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family