“Great view, worst wi fi”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Camping Mihinoa

and 1 more site!
Camping Mihinoa
Bali, Indonesia
“Great view, worst wi fi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Basic cheap accom ( on the most expensive island ) .free airport pick up and drop off . 10 min walk from the main st , but 70 mtrs from the shore . Be warned this place has the worst wi fi which they charge you for , it would be better to use a carrier pigeon than really on wi fi to send messages .

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Steve A

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Marta returned our emails promptly and Marisio was waiting for us at the airport.
We rented a car directly from them and then when Marta saw that my mother got around with a walking stick she took the keys and handed us another set to a car that my mother could get in and out easier.
Yes they are sticklers about no shoes in the buildings, but what's the problem? The buildings stay cleaner and everyone is in flip flops anyways, too easy.
Yes they are strict about which kitchen and shower you are allowed to use. Campers use the community shower and kitchen. If you rent a room you get your own bathroom and share a private kitchen with the people in the other room. You get what you pay for.
Yes they have dogs. There are dogs and chickens everywhere on Easter Island, its just part of the culture. The dogs bark and the chickens crow at times just as animals would. Roger tells the dogs to quiet down and they do.
I thought it was perfect. The location was great. Right on the coast and just outside of town to cut down on noise but close enough to walk.
I will definitely return to Easter Island again and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Rent a room. You get a private bathroom and shared kitchen with one other couple. Worth the price.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

The good:
They will pick you up from the airport and give you flower lays.
The campsite has amazing location. The tents face the ocean and at night you can hear the waves. You can see beautiful sunsets without leaving your tent. There is a little tienda/restaurant on the adjacent property that offers coffee and an amazing breakfast for very reasonable prices. About one block away there is a SCUBA diving shop and if you mention that you are staying at the camp site they will give you a free picture CD of your dive or a discount for your dives. The town is about a 15 minute walk and they rent cars for very good prices too. They offer day tours at the main lobby.
The site has the option of camping (bring your own tent or they provide tent and sleeping bags) and the option of rooms. I experienced both and found both to be very pleasant. The room was extremely clean and provided private shower with hot water, towels and beddings. The rooms have access to their private kitchen witch is very well maintained.

The bad:
If you stay in the tents the shared showers tend to get really dirty as the morning goes by and they do have some insects that can be undesired. All their bookings are done directly via email and that can be a bit confusing. I did my reservation 3 months in advance and when we got there she did not have us on file (but she was nice enough to accommodate us accordingly).

Advise:
Confirm your reservation multiple times as the date comes closer so that your reservation won’t be misplaced. The private bedrooms are a bit more expensive but they are extremely convenient and comfortable. We did not buy any tours except for the dinner and show. I recommend that you go walk to town and go to the tourist information office (near the bank) and get a map then rent a car for a day and do the driving routes. In general I would recommend this accommodation. It is a convenient and affordable place to stay in Easter Island.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelophilia84
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I just returned from a week-long trip to Rapa Nui, and stayed the entire time at Camping. I found Marta and Roger at the airport (though I emailed in advance and received no response), and they happily drove my partner and me back to the campsite and explained in Spanish (broken English a possibility; Roger's French seems strong) all of the offerings and rules, etc. To camp is very cheap, probably the best official deal on the island, though residenciales and homestays are undoubtedly more rewarding. Anyways, the crowd at Camping was friendly the entire time, and Marta and Roger are usually very helpful. If you are planning to tour around the island make sure to ask them about car rentals - they might be able to find you a deal.

We were assigned to a nice cupboard in the cooking area, which was clean and tidy. Outside however, roaches do come out pretty heavily at night, though I've never seen them in any of the buildings.

Wifi was always accessible, though brutally slow - to the point where I would maybe suggest finding a different place to send emails or check Facebook, w/e.

As others have said, the view of the ocean is unbelievable. You would be hard-pressed to find a place to stay with a better view on Rapa Nui. Lights are pretty bright in Hanga Roa at night, though. I brought one of the blindfolds from my LAN flight to use and it was helpful. Also, clean showers and bathrooms with reliable hot water!

Room Tip: Sleep on the ground.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MRumford
taichung
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Pluses: Most of Camping Minihoa is very satisfactory. The check-in is prompt, the ocean view is great, and the shared kitchen and rooms are kept spotless and other travelers, at least while I was there, were respectful about quiet hours. The location is a short walk from the main drag. I stayed in a room with a private bathroom (everything else was booked by the time I made the reservation) in the same building as the dorm rooms, and there was easy to access the kitchen, and a friendly environment without being too hostel-like.

Minuses: It was almost impossible to find Marta (the owner and front desk person) after my check-in. I had to vigilantly watch the office for two days so I could access some valuables she was holding for me, to pay my tour guide. Granted, she had a terribly sprained ankle, but I wonder if she could have sent someone else to get me. Also, the building I was in was overrun by roaches. I killed two large ones a day, during dinner at one point, and when I mentioned it to Marta in response to her query about whether I had a satisfactory stay, she shrugged and said, well, that's how it is here. Guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank mejean8
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during our easter island holiday for 3 nights. We had a double room with a private bathroom. Although we reserved a room very late, the owner Marta picked us up from the airport. The room was nice and clean. The owner & staff very friendly and helpful. Compaired to other locations in town which are further away from the ocean, the location was nice with a fantastic ocean view. The hostel is not in downtown, but it took only 6-7minutes by foot to get there. All in all a very good place to stay for the money we paid.

• Stayed November 2012
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Mihinoa is the perfect place to stay while visiting the Island! It is an absolutely beautiful place, with stunning ocean views, rooms are clean and comfortable, low prices (considering the rest of the accommodation options) and the owners, Roger and Marta, are nice and helpful.

Friendly family atmosphere guaranteed!

I loved it there, and the rest of the guests felt the same way.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo