“Waste of money and a greedy owner”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Easter Island
Martin y Anita Hotel
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Easter Island
Kansas, USA
“Waste of money and a greedy owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2007

Martin and Anita's is like a very cheap B&B with a sleezy owner included...at prices competitive with real hotels.

I read a recommendation in one of the guide books for this B&B and confirmed a room a couple months in advanced.

Three weeks before arriving to Rapa Nui, I met someone in Santiago who had just stayed at Martin's. He recommended I cancel my reservations because, since it was off-season, I could go into one of the beachside hotels, talk with the staff, and easily get a nice room for the same price as Martin's very mediocre B&B.

When I was asking questions about the B&B, Martin always replied within hours...and was very careful to get all my credit card information in advance.

When I tried to cancel my reservation he simply did not respond. He had no rules regarding his cancellation policy posted on his webpage and I was terrified he would go ahead and charge my credit card whether or not I stayed there....

For three weeks I tried to contact him...and like a passive, aggressive child...he simply did not answer my emails.

I obviously need to be a more aggressive person, but when I arrived at the airport he had a sign with my name on it and I stupidly went to his B&B.

I stayed for four days...two of the days I had to use my own Kleenex as toilet paper because the maids didn't replace mine; I was gone most of the time so I rarely saw anyone and just kept hoping the maids would bring some the next day -what kind of B&B leaves an empty toilet roll?

One of the other guests had to seek him out any time she wanted to take a shower because he had to temporarily rig something in order to give her a bit of hot water...

When I went to check-out I had cash, since I had read that he will add an additional 10% charge to use a credit card. A lot of the places on the island charge extra fees to use a credit card -so I didn't freak about that....

However, as I was checking out he said he had to charge me an additional 10% service charge...that it was a standard charge he included for all guests. I mentioned I had asked for the complete price in the initial emails I sent...and he said, "ya, I never include the service charge in my emails".

The best part is that he ‘accidentally’ made a math error and was really trying to get away with charging me an additional 15%. I was at least smart enough to refuse to pay it...and if he charges it to my credit card I have his emails to prove what he said would be the total price!

His B&B is no better than the much cheaper hostels/B&Bs...I highly recommend either saving your money or going to a real hotel/B&B.

• Liked — I didn't get typhoid!
  • Disliked — The owner.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank DantesSock

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2007

We stayed a week with Martin & Anita and found the place basic but clean enough. However, when it came time to pay Martin charged 10% for credit card and then bumped the price up again with an appauling US$ exchange rate! It would have been cheaper to stay in a hotel of a much better standard!! Martin managed to time our check out with only an hour to leave, so we had no option but to pay. I would strongly recommend people to take US$ to pay with.

I wouldn't recommend Martin y Anita's Hotel to anyone travelling to Easter Island.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple