Hostal Cabanas Akapu
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Taha Tai Hotel(Hanga Roa)
US$253
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Puku Vai(Hanga Roa)
US$240
Travelocity
US$220
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Mana Nui Inn(Hanga Roa)(Great Value!)
US$98
Hotel Manavai(Hanga Roa)
US$156
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot waterrapa nuihanga roaheadlampwifitownisland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We had a great time on Easter Island. We were happy to be there during Tapati 2008. And the hospitality and wonderful accomodation we experienced at Hostal Akapu made it a perfect trip. The owner L. Barrera is a wonderful host and will do anything to make the best of your trip for you.

Vincent from Holland

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2009

This Hostel is beautifully situated near the Tehai Moais which means that you every evening you can finish your day with a stroll to the island's best "Sunset view". It's close to the museum and horse stables too. We are an active couple who enjoy walking and riding and this was an excellent base for both activities. (Of course, you need to hire a car for at least part of your time here.) The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, there's a large and clean kitchen / dining area where breakfast is served and where you can cook your own meals throughout the day. The owner Leopoldo is a nice guy and Ana the cook is great fun. So try it out and enjoy! (try the top cabin for the morning views of the Moia!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We spent seven nights at this pleasant hostel. Our balcony looked to the west, with a view of the ocean and a moai. Located in the Tahai Sector, this is where everyone goes to see the sunset. It was wonderful being able to come home after dinner, relax, and then just walk a few hundred feet to watch the sun going down behind several moai statues.
Our one-room cabana was cozy and simple, furnished with two double beds, a dresser, table & two chairs. The bathroom was adequate and there was plenty of hot water for showering off the day's dust. Our small balcony also had a table & chairs, plus a bench, for relaxing, reading or just enjoying the sun and ocean breeze.
Breakfast was served in the dining room each morning, a typical meal of bread, sliced meat & cheese, fresh fruit and fresh fruit juice, along with coffee or tea. It was fun meeting other guests and sharing island experiences.
A real benefit of the Hostal Akapu is that there are kitchen facilities and a refrigerator/freezer available for use by guests. We were able to purchase food at the supermarket and store it for use during the week. This allowed us to take picnic lunches with us as we explored during the day, and helped cut down on meal expenses in the evening.
The owners, Leopoldo and Maria, were so sweet and caring. They graciously offered email and internet use of their computer, and were always willing to offer suggestions or assistance. It was nice to feel like we were visiting friends, rather than paying guests.
I would recommend the Hostal Akapu to anyone who prefers a quiet, residential area over the busier in-town environment. The hostal is located in the Tahai Sector, which is a nice 20 minute walk from town, or about a $2 taxi ride, or about a 5 minute drive, if you have a rental jeep.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We just returned from the Easter Island trip. One of the main reasons of choosing this hotel was the good reviews from Trip Adviser and the proximity to the archeological site. Also, the photos of the property we received from the owner were nice and we received prompt reply on emails. However, it turned out to be the worst choice I have ever made.

Our first surprise came when our ride wasn't there as promised. I realized that I didn’t have a phone number listed in the email. We waited until the airport was deserted. All the hotel/hostel operators were gone and the taxis were disappearing as all the passengers have been picked up. Not speaking much Spanish, we hired a taxi to get to town area and got a rental car for the rest of our stay. When we arrived at the hostel, the owner was surprised to see us. It turned out he was at the airport to pick up other customers the same day but not us. I guess the confirmation we received a week before our arrival didn’t do much.

The 2nd surprise came when we entered the room and found an army of ants in the bathroom. You will enjoy this hotel if you are a bug lover. See attached picture taken from the shower stall. The floor was dirty. The bedding was filthy. The 2nd room we had was not any better. It has no window and very stuffy. We have to open the patio door to get fresh air. Both rooms were very dark and there was not even a single chair in the room.

The hotel is quite a distance from the town area or where the restaurants are. The road is pretty dusty and not paved. This is definitely not a place without a car unless you enjoy walking in the dark and dust. On the plus side, the hostel has good view of the ocean and it is pretty quiet compared to other hotels. The owner is pretty nice and speaks pretty good English. He was okay when we checked out earlier than what we planned for. This place has its charm but it needs a huge clean up and some upgrade.

Considering the price we paid, this is definitely overpriced and over rated. We paid $100 USD per night for a standard room. With this price, there are many choices to choose from.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Gracie-Oreo
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I´ve been in Akapu between 23 - 26 December/08 and one of my doubts it was if the Hostal people was honest (because I did all reservation by fone/net without a travel agency help). At this point I can say there are very good and honest people, so if you want to reserve something just by the fone/net you can be sure that the hostal really exists.
However, talking about the quality as the own name says it is a Hostal not a Hotel, so if you want to stay in a hotel you can go to other options as Hanga Roa Hotel, paying other price level for sure.
When I left Brazil to the Island I knew it was a Hostal but actally I was believing that some details wouldn´t be important but at the end it was... Of course I knew there wasn´t some services included but if I could evaluate better probably I would prefer to pay a little bit more for some details.

Good Points
- Honest People: Leopoldo´s Family are adorable
- Nice View, Nice Room: The Hostal is in front a Moai, the sunset is beautiful
- Internet: There is wireless in the all hostal, this is helpfull if you want to comunicate with your own country. (I made fone calls from my computer with VOIP)
- Good Attention: Leopoldo helped us a lot to find good places to visit, with his help we could visit all the island.

Bad Points
- Far from the City: It is mandatory to rent a car because if you want to dinner at night it is impossible to walk until there alone. To far and to dark!
- Air Conditioning: As i already said, I knew there wasn´t air conditioning but by myself I ´ve decided it wasn´t necessary. Travellers believe-me it is necessary! Specially if you wanna go in summer (in Chile). It was too hot and I needed to slep with the windows opened, however there was also the problem with mosquitos. So If you dont care about hot weather and mosquitos it´s ok
- TV: there is no TV in the room... It´s sad to stay at night without a TV... But this is a very particular point, many people don´t care about it!

To make a long story short
It´s a very nice place witch the owner are a very honest family. Everything very simple just like a home, maybe it can remain when you visit your grandmother farm.
However dont think it is a Resort or something like that because it is not! For me almost everything was great I just thought it was to far from the city, there wasn´t air conditioning and TV in the room.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)