Upon arriving in Rabaul, we were greeted by a lovely lady and a great driver and we were really excited as the service started so well.
Check was prompt and efficient and the 2 bungalows were neat and clean - but of really different standards! One (at the end of the group next to the shipping containers) had 1 knife, one small pot 2 plates etc old uncomfortable chairs on the deck and one old towel (3 people booked in) whilst the one next door just seemed to be fitted out so much better - almost like they were owned by different people.
Luckily we had the two so could walk between the two to get things like a can opener or a glass or basic things like wash liquid or a tea towel.
In saying that, they were clean and the grounds they were set in were just lovely. The highlight for us staff wise were the security men! They would walk us from our rooms at night into the lit area ( there were no lights down as far as we were!) It was like the 3 bungalows down the end were an after thought - you literally had to walk through a hole in a chain wire fence to get to them.
As I was saying, the security men were lovely even finding us some aloe plants after a long day in the sun. The pool was laid out nicely but there were no mats on the lounges so you couldn't lay on them.
The breakfast was very average (we stayed for 5 nights and only went twice - ate only once as they didn't replenish any food.)
The bar staff were great at opening SP but beyond that no good. One lady tried to charge us for the nips of alcohol she had used to make 4 cocktails that were literally undrinkable which made that a sour note.
The food we ate at night was very nice particularly the seafood but over the five days the proportions and flavours were different for the same dishes.
All in all, its in a great location with lovely grounds and in general it was very good for PNG standards. I'll probably try elsewhere next time though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Not only do we have a magnificent resort with traditional PNG architectural character and style. Come and experience some of our amazing land and sea tours. Whether you like snorkeling, diving, volcanoes, history or just lazing around, we have it all. Enjoy this magical tropical wonderland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Kokopo Beach Bungalow Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kokopo Beach Bungalows Hotel New Britain Island
- Kokopo Beach Bungalow Resort Papua New Guinea/New Britain Island