“Great Honeymoon and New Cat”

Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and I went to Lalati in May 2012 for our honeymoon. We had a great time; it was very relaxing, peacuful, and tranquil. The staff were very friendly and the food was amazing. The only issue we had, was that it poured rain for 24hrs straight! Not the hotel's fault, but the only kink in our otherwise perfect time.

I wanted to let you all know how helpful the staff was. My wife and I met a 1 year old cat that was born on the island, who was hanging around our hut. He was very clean and friendly, so we let him hang out with us. He was our new best friend and was always waiting on the porch for us when we got back.

Well, we missed him so much when we got back to the U.S.,that we inquired with the resort manager, Kirsti, on adopting him. To make a 3 month story short... Kirsti put me in touch with a Vet in Suva where I worked out and arranged payment for vaccinations and boarding for a few weeks. Kirst brought "Felix" to the vet via boat and car. The Vet looked after him, fed him, gave him his shots and arranged the transport to the airport and the air cargo shipping arrangements for him.

We finally got him on September 4. We picked him up at the airport after his long flight. He was a little jet lagged, but once he got to our home, he recognized us (I think) and he was happy as can be. We absolutely love him and its such a great honeymoon story to tell everyone.

Big thanks to Kirsti and the Lalati folks for arranging this for us and helping us adopt the orphan kitty from Fiji.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Justin G
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

BULA Justin!

So happy you enjoyed your honeymoon with us at Lalati Resort & Spa. And we are tickled to see pictures of the cat happily ensconced in his new American home. I'm sure he's quite happy. And we agree - what other managers and staff would organize the exportation of a Fijian wild kitty to the U.S. It's just another example of how our great team goes above and beyond for our guests.

Thank you for sharing and give Felix a scratch behind the ears from his Lalati Resort family.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband and I chose Lalati after researching many different options. We do not like touristy places that are crowded and busy, and were looking for a place where we could ultimately relax and unwind in order to get away from the stresses of everyday life.
Lalati is on Beqa Island- a small island off the coast of the mainland Fiji. We flew into Nadi airport and Lalati transport picked us up and took us 2 hours down the coast to a boat. The boat takes you the rest of the way (30 minutes) to the smaller Beqa Island.

When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the staff and shown to our rooms. After we got settled we were pretty much on our own. We always had plenty to keep us occupied and were never bored. A typical day for us was breakfast followed by kayaking, snorkling, napping, reading, or resort coordinated activities. For a truly wonderful and eye opening experience if you are at Lalati on a Friday, make sure you do the village tour. The local Fijians are some of the warmest and most welcoming people we have ever met.

Having now been to Lalati, my husband and I find many of negative reviews to be unfair, and in our opinion, are due to people not properly doing their research regarding the type of resort they are looking for. Lalati is a place to go to in order to relax, unwind, and to enjoy the view. If you are looking for a place where you can lay in the sand, swim up to beach bars, and party at night then this is NOT the place for you. However, if you are looking for a place where you can just get away from it all and forget all your worries and cares, then we recommend Lalati.

Yes, Lalati has bugs...it is on small tropical island in the south pacific. Bring along bug repellant and you will be fine. The meals are coordinated and they were never a problem. They give you a choice between 2 options for both lunch and dinner. For breakfast you can choose from a wide variety. We were always full but had brought along snacks just in case. There is wifi in the bar area, and we found it to be a relief not be hassled by the constant need to check emails all the time. If that is your thing, however, you can still open up your laptop, sip a cold drink and enjoy the view anyway.

They do not have tv channels, but do have a tv and dvd player in the rooms where you can watch a movie (there is a selection in the main office to choose from). But we found we didn’t miss the TV at all. We loved Lalati, the staff was kind and accommodating, and the view remarkable. We will miss falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean waves lapping the shoreline. You may not be able to lay on the sand, but you can kayak to a beach to lay on, or lay out by the pool and catch some sun. Or laze in the hammock and take a nap. Watch the hermit crabs, kayak, snorkel, and dive, read, and just RELAX.

4  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at Lalati for our honeymoon this past August for 7 days and had the best trip of our lives. Let’s start with the staff; everyone is so nice and made our trip. The staff knew us by name and we would always get a warm welcome when we went over to the dining area especially from the amazing Ala!! The scuba dive staff Zara and Ian were great; we did half our cert before we got to the island and finished the rest with Zara who made us feel totally comfortable and excited to continue our dive education.

There are so many activities to do we were able to fit them all in! Snorkeling right out in front of the resort was so nice; we brought our own gear (but they do have gear there) so we could just walk out into the water and explore! Great corals and fish everywhere you look! The Kayaks are available whenever you like and it a great way to spend the day. We weren’t able to do the tour because we wanted to do the shark dive so we made sure to get in some kayak time on our own. The shark dive was my favorite activity of the trip (bull sharks, nurse sharks, black tips, white tips, and silver tips) Ian and Zara where with us the whole time and we felt completely safe. The amount of fish and sharks is incredible and that it is in a shark sanctuary makes it even better! Our private island day was really cool, we were dropped off with lunch, drinks, chairs a little table and some cushions to lay on. We explored the island, snorkeled, ate lunch had hermit crab races and just chilled out and listen to music was a great day. The other activity that was really cool was the rum sunset cruise, we did this our first night on the island and it was a great way to start the trip and get to know the other guests.

The food was AMAZING as my husband kept saying he has never seen me clean more plates than we did there; the fresh muffins every morning at breakfast were always welcomed and a great treat on the dive boat in between dives.

We stayed in the beachfront honeymoon villa and it was everything we had hoped for. The room was very large; plenty of places to sit and relax the bed was very comfy, lots of closet space, the bathrooms was large and clean as well. we had a patio with chairs and a hammock and a private backyard area as well with a bed, waterfall, shower, and hot tub. We could open the shutters to look out onto the beach or keep them closed for more privacy.

We want to thank the entire staff, the two managers Kristi, Paul and of course Dog,

The hotel staff: Mary, Ala, Rush, Chantel, and Kula

Dive and activity staff: Zara, Ian, Louie and Paul

You all made our trip wonderful!! Thank you so much for everything

All the best
Jen and Sean

2  Thank jdavin728
Reviewed 20 August 2012

what you see if definitely NOT what you get. the pictures on their website are totally deceiving. went their for honeymoon but regret it. the water was so dirty and it isn't even a proper beach. staff were rude and food isn't that great either. we went for 5 days but that was too long, got extremely bored as their were hardly any activities organised by the hotel. Would not rcommend this one. bad experience!!

4  Thank Josh H
Lalatiowners, Owner at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

So sorry to read that your honeymoon trip with us was not all that you dreamed it would be!

I had emailed you after you arrived back home, regarding some of the comments you made to our resort managers. You were told we had white sand beaches, and were looking for that “lay on the beach” experience. Like many resorts in Fiji, our beach is a tidal one – it disappears during high tide, and is fully exposed during low tide – the beach is there, but so are some rocks further beyond, as you know. However, there are other options, and a very lovely beach within a kayak distance from the resort. Staff will even pack a lunch for you so you can spend as much time as you want.

As for activities – did you go on a snorkel safari? Sunset cruise? Did you join a guide for a kayak to and around Bat island? Participate in a village tour, watch a village rugby game? Did you do the scenic mountain trek or the waterfall hike? Take a Discovery Dive or learn to handline fish the traditional Fijian way? If you were bored, a day kayaking through the island is unforgettable. There’s also the fun zipline tour and the white water rafting that we organize through the main island – or a Capital City Tour, a Jet Ski outing and more. Every day there is a schedule of activities in which you can participate. And after a day of activities, you can relax under the gifted hands of our spa therapists, who – guaranteed - will leave you totally rejuvenated. For your honeymoon, if you didn’t get a couples massage, or a signature Moonlight Massage, you were truly missing something!

As far as the pictures on our website, they were taken of the resort only a year earlier, and the resort has remained unchanged since. Nothing was brought in, or taken out, of the resort or room for the photos. There was no “smoke and mirrors” to capture our essence. Whilst the accommodations, food and resort photos were taken by a photographer, many of our activities, snorkeling and diving shots were taken by guests like you, who shared them with us.

Your opinions are, of course, your opinions, but you can see from the other reports by guests who stayed with us during the same time you were there, that they enjoyed their stay and did not find themselves misled by false promises. I will definitely go to bat for our staff, who are absolutely never rude. They are our biggest asset, warm, open and friendly, and will do anything for you – all you need to do is ask. If they can’t accomplish what you need, our outstanding management team can.

Again, we are truly sorry for your disappointment. As I had mentioned in my email to you, our Australian marketing director has chatted with your booking agent to clarify some points on which you were unclear, to be sure that all the agents paint a proper picture of Lalati Resort, and that our lovely guests depart with fond memories of their experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband and I recently had the great pleasure of experiencing the Fijian culture.In May / June 2012 we spent 10 wonderful days at Lalati Resort & Spa.On landing on the island we threw away our watches and lived the next 10 days on Fijian time,what an experience, no dead lines.This was my husband and my first time o/s,from the time we arrived on the island, to the day we left, we were treated as family.We cannot recommend highly enough the staff and management, nothing was ever a bother to them, from the preparation of special diets (Gluten Free) to recommending all the different cocktails to try - you HAVE to try the B52's- everyone was so friendly and did their utmost to ensure that our stay was something to remember.
From snorkeling,fishing,hiking ( the list goes on,) our guide for the day did their utmost to ensure we experienced the most enjoyment possible. The accommodation was immaculate and well presented,the food was something to die for, so many choices considering the remoteness of the resort, a lot of thought had gone into meal preparation,the cooks are amazing they would give some chefs a run for their money.
I would highly recommend a visit to this wonderful resort. The treatment we received has encouraged us to travel further afield,But no matter what, we will be returning - look out Lalati

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Laurine D
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband and I were fortunate enough to get to spend 11 nights at Lalati Resort for our honeymoon. We spent the first week we were there doing all of the activities that were offered by the resort and then the last few days were lazy days doing much of nothing.
We happened to come in with 2 other couples that were married the same day that we were and all us connected immediately which made for a very nice atmosphere. Also the staff were incredible. From the time that we arrived we were greeted with "Bula" every where we went.
I was quite prepared for the resort because I had read so many reviews on this site. So the little quirks of it being an outer island didn't bother me in the least.

The activities that are offered are varied and you can do as little or as much as you want to or can afford to do. There are a few free activities which are right around the resort or in the local village. We enjoyed going to the village and seeing the locals. Be prepared for them to sell you little trinkets however. We didn't bring much cash and had to send one of the locals back with cash. On a side note however, I was disappointed that the trinkets are not items that the local make but things that they purchase on the main island, mark up and then sell to the tourists. I would have rather just made a donation and bought items at the the duty free store on the way to/from Nadi.

For a small fee you can do some of the other activities. I felt that the prices we paid were very resonable for the experience that we got. We did the Waterfall trek (and it is quite a trek), guided kayaking tour, guided snorkeling trip, private island picnic for a day, pier dinner, sunset rum punch cruise, attended a rugby match, 2 -1 hour massages, village tour and village church service. Some of the items were included in the package that we purchased before we arrived. I would highly recommend buying a package as it seemed that it was less expensive, but we still added on some of the above things beyond what our package covered.

The resort has a newer generator and I believe are getting a back up generator soon if they haven't already. We did not experience any power outages that previous guests had reported (dimming lights occassionally in the evening), nor did we have any issues with hot water in the shower (the most being we had to play with the knobs occasionally)

All the guests do eat dinner at the same time and have the option of either sitting at a table for 2 or at one of the other tables that allowed for other guests to join. We are very social so often my husband and I opted for the shared table. I felt because of this we had a very enjoyable stay and got to know people from around the world that we would not have otherwise had the opportunity to meet.

All in all it was a great trip...much thanks to Ala, Lui, Sela, Kula, Mere, Paul, Josiah, Kirstie, Paul (white), Ian, Zara, and Chantal. Vinaka Vaka Levu....we can't wait to come back.

Kristie and Tony Sayers.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ocean Front 2, it was very lovely and fit us nicely it was very quiet and offers an ama...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristie S
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I have so many wonderful things to say about Lalati that I have no idea where to start from.

The minute Mark and I arrived at Lalati my first expression was "wow". Lalati resort is located in a beautiful island. We were celebrating our honeymoon, and had a diving package as well. I can honestly say that we could have not chosen a better place to celebrate this very special ocassion.

The minute we arrived it felt like heaven. The staff greeted us with a beautiful song, delicious coconut drink, and a foot massage to die for, after a very long trip all the way from Miami.

The staff Ala, Chantelle, Rush, Lui, Kirsty, Paul and everyone else we did not have mention because either they worked in the kitchen or other areas, they do an amazing job at keeping Lalati very beautiful, and with great atmosphere.

My husband, and I have stayed before in 5 star resorts, and I must say the warmth, kindness, and new friends we found at Lalati was the best, and this is the first time we ever experience these feelings while on vacations. They would always refer to all the guests by their first name, and this was very impressive as we have never experienced this before.

Paul and Kirsty are the resort's manager, and they were always around to ask us if we were ok, and if we needed anything to please not hesitate to let them know. They own a dog called Dogg, he is awesome, and gorgeous. Great companion.

We stayed in frontbeach bure, it was beautifully decorated and very spacious. We experienced the most beautiful sunrises, and sunsets from our room. The housekeeper was great at cleaning our room, and making sure everything was clean.

Meals - As previously mentioned before by other reviewers, the menus were set, but you did have several options to choose from, and I loved every meal I had. There were plenty activities to burn those calories from kayaking, to Mountain Trek which is a must as you would be able to experience the most beautiful views from the top of the mountians, taerfall tour, diving, snorkeling, village and school visit a must as you could experience true fijian culture. There was so much to do that we had wished we could have stayed longer.

Diving Staff and Center - Ian and Zara are in charge of the diving center, and they do a great job to ensure you are fully satisfied. Every morning after we enjoyed our breakfast we headed to our boat, and everything was ready for us, all we had to ensure was of our buddy checks, which only you are responsible for your safety. After we would finish diving they would also take care of the tanks, and rinsing our equipment. Thank you Ian and Zara for making our lives much easier.The diving sites were out of this world. Mark and I were fortunate to dive among beautiful corals, sharks, and plenty of fishes to see. My favorite fish is the Moorish Idol, and every dive site I saw so many of them. This was a dream come true for me.

I can go on and on writing about Lalati, but what I can truly say is that if you are looking for a remote place away from all the craziness, and filled with te most friendliest people in the world than Lalati is for you.

I was so sad to leave that as the staff sang the Llalati goodbye song I could not stop crying, and gave Ala a big hug.

I am still trying to figure out why people have posted bad reviews because honestly considering all the places we have extensively vacationed at nothing compares to Lalati.

Lalati will always hold a special place in our hearts, and will not hesitate to go back. We will renew our vows at this fabulous place.

Vinaka,

#1 of 13 in Suva
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!