“V Fiji”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Calgary
“V Fiji”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

Fiji is really about its people. The Fijian people are the friendliest and most genuine people you can meet. At the Lalati they draw most of their staff from a local village -- and it shows. The staff are friendly and helpful -- at every level. Want to go snorkelling they will jump in the boat and come with you -- need a snorkel -- borrow mine! Want to play volleyball -- they will join with you. The food is out of this world and varied. The rooms are traditional bure's that are stunning and quite large.
This is not a large resort -- it is a place where they learn your name on the first day and you learn all the staffs names. Be clear in your requests to staff and if you have any problems let the owner/operator Brad know quickly. If you want to do a particluar activity make sure someone knows.
Internet works better than what you might think -- you use either Brad's or Sue's.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

Pros: beautiful property with exquisitely maintained gardens, small/boutique resort with only 5-6 burres limiting the number of people, amazing food, clean spacious burres, friendly staff, amazingly good and inexpensive massages (try the hot stone), Community meals give you an excellent opportunity to meet other travelers.

Cons: When we were there, the ferry and the dive boat were the same boat and so getting people to and from the resort conflicted with the dive boat timing. Some divers got screwed on their shark dive because they missed the feeding by 10 minutes. Also the ferry had no access ladder, so it wasn't safe to be used as a dive boat.
Despite advertising wind surfing and board surfing, the only equipment on site was sea kayaks (6-8).
Despite complaining numerous times, there was little or no consistent hot water (not confined to our burre). The water was scalding hot for 1 minute and then ice cold the rest of the time. The owner will try to tell you that it's a finicky system that has to be used properly, but it's BS. Do not count on hot showers.
The hot tub maxed out at 86F. The pool was downright chilly.
Worst of all, over half the people staying while we were there (4-5 couples) got diarrhea. After talking with other travelers the most likely culprit was the table water served at meals. Stick to tea and coffee. Do not listen when the owner tells you the water is "2x filtered" or is a "recent problem". There's nothing to indicate anything other than the fact that their drinking water is contaminated.

Overall I'd give this a C+. It was advertised as a place with a lot of activities, but really there are scuba dives, there are sea kayaks and there are massages. If it's a windy day, you don't really want to suffer the dive boat or fight the sea in a kayak, so the option is stay inside and play cards or get a massage. With the multitude of options for resorts in fiji, I would probably try somewhere else before I came back here again. The owners, while pleasant, didn't really satisfy me with many of their explanations (see hot water, drinking water), so I don't know that I'd give them the benefit of the doubt next time.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimBob20002
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

My husband and I went to this resort right after we got married, and upon arrival there were the workers at the dock waiting for us playing music and give you leis than they give you a foot massage. We were there ten nights and nine of them were in the honeymoon villa. Both types of rooms were great but the honeymoon villa is definately something else. Everything in the room was great and very exotic, and outside is an outdoor shower and a hot tub. The service there was unconditional. The staff accomodate to your every need and are very friendly. They know you by first name and you end up knowing them by first name. The entire staff was amazing and there was not one person you didn't like. The resort only holds about 20 people probably max but that's what I loved about it. It wasn't crowded and you feel comfortable around people because you get to know them a litte bit. The food was great. I am a very picky eater and I thought their food was amazing. They are adventerous with the foods they pick and each meal they give you a choice between two entrees. If there isn't something that you don't like on there, the cooks will accomodate to you and make sure you are happy. Lalati is a great place to relax and do snorkeling and kayaking. I don't dive but everyone I talked to said it was amazing. Brad, the resort manager is very knowledgeable about a lot of things and knows a lot about activities on and off the island and can answer any question you have about anything. In conclusion, if you are looking to relax and be around friendly people I can't reccomend this enough. I had a great time and was sad when I had to leave that place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

Just came back from our family diving holiday. This place is a must try, diving is amazing, you get sharkfeeding, beautiful corals, turtles, clear water and thanks to DM "Big Banana bread " Joe :an amazing electric clam and a lot more. All in clear water within 15 min. of the resort.
The food is fantastic and the staff is just wonderful, caring, happy, helpful , funny - simply the best staff you can imagine.
Actually, one of these places you want to keep to yourself.
Just go there and see for yourself.
Thanks to ALL the staff for a perfect holiday.
Christina, Henrik and Marianne, Hong Kong

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Lockwood Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

This review is directed toward the owner:
Brad: To sum up our 07/30/09 – 08/06/09 vacation “WOW”!
You placed the wife and I in a beach front burro, my god it was fantastic, recently I have been regretting not spending more time in or around that burro; you were personally at fault for this. Your open air dining facility \ bar\ meeting area kept us away from my vacation home.
Your opening address to our dive group was “this staff cannot read minds, if you need something simply ask” I disagree with your cannot read minds, everything the wife and I desired was provided without asking!
Being early risers, my wife and I enjoyed your company every morning as the sun rose. The ladies at the resort were equally wonderful. As you know it is great feeling having the staff address you by name. I wish to specifically thank Anna, Teri, Dick as well as your friend Pat for being there for our group; their quiet and polite personalities made us feel like family!
The diving in your area was spectacular! I almost passed on the shark dive due to inherent fears of sharks, what a mistake that would have been. This shark dive was/is the most relaxing and exciting dive of my 12 years in scuba diving.
Every meal you served was wonderful. The soups stood out as my second favorite item, my most favorite would be the shrimp dinner! I am at a loss for words attempting to describe the brilliant flavor of your local shrimp, the meal was spectacular.
Your resort targets SCUBA divers, my wife “Charlie” being a non diver enjoyed you spa package, even more so she grew quite found of your resort staff that made darn sure she was never lonely, bored, or in need of any worldly pleasures.
As a group we brought along school supplies for the local village children, the items were appreciated by the village. My next visit I plan to take bolts of fabric for the village seamstress to do their magic with, soccer balls and a kite or two for the kids to have “FUN” with.
The village society is so delicate, I see a huge potential for their society to change to the Mexican give me, give me state of mind. Please prevent this from happening!
The only suggestion for change that I could offer would be: take me in as a partner in your resort!

Thank You for a wonderful vacation!

Darran Heinsen
dheinen@hughes.net

• Stayed July 2009
Atascadero, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

Our dive group enjoyed Lalati July 30-Aug 6, 2009, and I for one will be doing everything I can to make it back to Lalati as often as possible! It is winter during this time and we didn't always have sunshine, but it won't stop me from going back...anytime!! From day one, Brad and his staff were wonderful, warm and made you feel at home. The entire staff knew almost all of our names by the end of the first night! And all day long you were greeted with a "Bula" and your name from everyone you ran into! Even the nondivers of our group seemed very happy and not bored. Though I would like to be selfish and keep Lalati to myself, I feel that everyone should treat themselves to true paradise and visit Brad and his staff at Lalati Resort and come away with a life-changing experience! Oh..and make sure you get a massage from Rai!!! Awesome!!

• Stayed August 2009
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

We had a great time here. It was nice and relaxing. We are avid divers, so we had a great time diving every day. If you're not a diver, there really isn't much to do.

The hotel staff is great! They even made us a cake to celebrate our anniversary!

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!