“Holiday take two Fiji”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Holiday take two Fiji”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was at the resort for 6 days from the end of April to the beginning of May. I always like to try out a new location and read some reviews on this place and the diving so I was intrigued. After a 2 hour drive from Nadi and a 45 minute boat ride we were there... The greeting on arrival was lovely and meeting the manager who made a point of making sure if there was feedback or something wrong to please ensure you gave it. My husband and I travel a lot so my husband later advised him of a few issues in the room (and then he avoided us for the remainder of the trip). We also met the dive managers on arrival who have only been onsite for a month and they expressed the same to make sure that they were aware of any feedback. The knowledge of Fiji seemed great so we were hopeful great dives to come. We also advised when our tank was less than full and the biggest concern was we had paid for the extra package for unlimited nitrox, but each fill was between 28/30% and few at 32 but that was rare. This was feedback with no result only worse readings and the comment that a few of your tanks were at 32 (reading due to a force excessive air on the monitors). So my advice would be to get a guarantee of the % if you take up this option. Since this is a dive resort and a little bigger than we would like to stay at the schedule for the diving was a little regimented, but with so many divers I guess it is a must.
The Fijian staff were lovely and really made the holiday and their service was fabulous, but I witnessed the way the new manager spoke to the staff on a few occasions and was a little disappointed. Thus any feedback I had on the staff was withheld as I would hate to have anyone spoken to in that manner as a result of my feedback or suggestion. I also had my own dive equipment which I would recommend.
A perplexing issue I had was with canned coconut milk in my cocktails with fresh trees only metres away I was crushed but got over it as this was a larger resort and not as personal as a favourite location. Also warning as the coffee is horrid and take your own plunger and avoid theirs at all cost.
Regardless I am glad I gave this resort a try, and made a few new friends with fellow divers and Fijians, hopefully the loose ends will be fixed in the near future as promised. I would have to say the diving in this area/resort is okay, but I will return to other more paradise locations or venture on to new locations to try them out. A good beginner diver location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mbsalert
GraemeBack, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Bula mbsalert,
thank you sharing with our readers comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. i appreciate your constructive feedback and will ensure that we use these comments to assist in the improvement of our service delivery. I do recollect your feedback on a fire smoke detector and did pass this on to my team to action. I also remember chatting with you both during your stay but if I did not seem to be more contact then please accept my apology as i do ensure to catch up with as many guest as possible during their stay and always open to feedback to ensure your stay is a great experience.
Kind Regards
Graeme and the Beqa Lagoon Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

BEQA lagoon resort is fantastic. The diving is great as is the dive staff. The big don't miss is the spa. The spa staff are excellent 5 star massage therapist's who will give you one of the best massages you have ever had. Food is also very good and they do cater to any dietary needs.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Sharkdiver1
Bula Sharkdiver1.
thank you for sharing with our readers the fantastic comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort, My team and I are delighted to have hosted you during your stay and do look forward to welcoming you back to Beqa Lagoon Resort sometime very soon,
Graeme and Beqa Lagoon Team
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed at BLR for a week of diving. In general, the entire resort is in need of an overhaul. From the dive op, to the kitchen, to the bures - there are issues everywhere. This is NOT a world class dive operation and for the price, you are better off diving elsewhere in Fiji.

Cons

Dive Op
- Air tank valves were in poor shape and constantly breaking.
- In general, I question the quality of tanks and equipment.
- Dive boat engine broke a couple times during outings.
- Dive boat condition not great. Simple things like ensuring all the screws for the railing are firmly attached are evidently optional for this operation.
- Dive gear went missing frequently, not a smooth operation.
- Shark dive was weak. It's advertised as "World's Best Shark Dive". It's a cattle call with 50 other divers. If you haven't done one, then do it, but I've done more intimate, better shark dives elsewhere.

Kitchen
- What is on the menu isn't what is served!?!?! I've never been somewhere that had such blatant disregard for what they claimed to offer on their menu and what they delivered - it was a joke. Risotto is now Uncle Ben's instant rice. Fancy sauce with ham...mustard.
- Food in general was hit and miss. The quality wasn't anything better than what you could find in a TGIF.
- Slow service.
- Food served to folks out of order. For example, one could wait 15 minutes for food, only to have someone else show up 15 minutes later and get served first. Mildly frustrating.
- Cocktail prices advertised on board may not be what they charge. Evidently they 'forgot' to change the price on the board and charged more for drinks after selling at a lower price. This is illegal in the USA, but OK at BLR.

Bures
- I had a beach front bure, which is large. The bathroom was in need of a serious remodel. It's dated and falling apart.
- Soap dish missing a screw, so it likes to not hold soap.
- Grout missing between tiles - bathroom wall looks gross.
- Shower curtain?? Bathroom is begging to be remodeled to get away from this.
- Where's the hair dryer that was advertised as part of the room?
- Pillows were filthy. See pics, which are the replacement pillows. Original pillows were lumpy, clearly old, and had really disgusting yellow stains all over them. And they smelled like head cheese. Replacement pillows were equally as bad, however, they stuck dryer sheets in the pillow case to make them smell better. Thanks!!
- Electricity is not constant. Maybe they keep forgetting to put fresh diesel in the generator, but expect spotty power.
- Lighting in room horrible. If you're a serious underwater photographer, bring a head lamp.
- Bure (1) is right next to the pool, hence it's quite loud.

Pros
- The local people are quite frankly some of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met. I feel like they're doing the best with what they have.

I believe most of the issues above are due to a lack of serious management, quality/standards, and funding. My recommendation is to look elsewhere if you're wanting to dive the lagoon.

Room Tip: Don't choose Bure 1.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Shiloh55442
GraemeBack, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Bula Shiloh55442,
Thank you for sharing your comments with our readers. I too when reviewing your comments felt quite concerned about elements of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We have a very active management team always available to discuss any issues that may unfold during the course of your stay to ensure that we take away points of disappointment that lead to postings such as yours. I did not anytime during your stay receive any comments directly or through my team that you were having issues during your time at Beqa Lagoon Resort.
I do take such concerns very seriously and the pillow images are certainly not complimentary and I can assure our readers that we have this and the Bure refreshment programme in hand.
We can take your comments as constructive and training agenda items to ensure that we continue to exceed our guest expectations as many of our posters have provided.
We do hope that you will visit Fiji again sometime very soon to measure the improvement programme we have already in place.
Vinaka
Graeme Back and the Beqa Lagoon Resort team.
MESA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

BLR had us from the singing welcome from the staff as we were ferried in from the boat - we were charmed from the start!

We were CATERED TO for 7 days and 7 nights, which made up for the 30 hours of exhaustive travel it took to finally arrive at this most beautiful island, and breathtaking resort. The native staff are the heart and soul of BLR. The cottages are comfortable, clean, and provide your own private piece of tropical paradise.

The 3 meals daily are an admirable attempt at 5-star, not to mention the luxury of just showing up at mealtime and being served by some of the most beautiful and gracious Fijian angels. We loved the dining arrangement that allowed us to get to know other guests. I could have used more variety of fresh vegetables, but after a brief stay on the mainland, I think that is more a Fijian thing, in general.

A brand new scuba diver, I completed my 4 Open Water Dives at BLR. Cannot say enough about the dive staff, particularly the Fijian Dive Masters and crew. They SPOILED us on the boat, quietly assisting us every step of the way...really helping to ease my newbie anxieties. Underwater, they were awesome "Tour Guides"! These gentle men are the reason my husband and I will return some day. Shout out to Tu Masi, "Mean Joe Green," Apo...and many, many other friends we made during our stay. They set the standard against which all future diving trips will be measured!

Since this was my first diving experience, I can't speak to how it compares to other places, but the Shark Dive was my first certified dive, and THAT was the highlight of the entire experience!

The electrical outlets are not the same, so bring the proper conversion adapters. (Couldn't use my blo dryer all week...turns out, who needs a blo dryer?!?) Otherwise, the front desk can charge up your electronics for you. Again, the most DARLING front desk staff...cannot say enough about the friendliness of the native staff. BLR has THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE, hands-down!

Take advantage of the opportunities to visit local villages to solidify the bond with this island. The primitive nature of the village lifestyle is an awesome perspective check! It's custom to bring "gifts" each time, and then they treat you to a Kava ceremony to say thank you. Not knowing what was needed at this time, we brought a variety of things but learned that the schools REALLY need writing paper - and construction paper is a LUXURY, especially for the kindergartens. They also need antibacterial cream (Neosporin), and ibuprofen at this time. Flips Flops are ALWAYS needed as the villagers walk as much as an hour-and-a-half to their jobs at the resorts on jungle paths...many barefoot.

The traditional farewell song the staff sings as we ferry away from the island at the end of a very memorable week will break your heart! We will be back.

I'm not going to pretend every detail was absolutely 5-star and perfect, but the entire experience as a package was absolutely something I look forward to repeating in the near future.

Room Tip: The smaller the number, the closer you'll be to the main dining area and pool. These were also t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M W
GraemeBack, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Bula MICKI N,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. I have passed on your warm comments to our' hard working team who are very proud in ensuring you come as guest and leave as family. We do hope we will welcome you back to Beqa Lagoon Resort sometime very soon.
Vinaka
Graeme Back and Beqa Lagoon Resort team.
Lenexa, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent two weeks, diving two tanks for 12 days, with BLR in April and I want to focus on the diving and dive operation for this review. As a point of reference this was our second dive trip to Fiji. Our first trip to Fiji was to Taveuni diving the Somosomo Straits and then the Bligh Waters off of Viti Levu. We are dive photographers with over 600 ocean dives each. We have travelled the world for over 30 years, 20 of those years taking two to three dive trips per year. We have considerable pacific diving experience, e.g., Palau, Yap, Great Barrier Reef, etc. We maintain a diving blog and underwater photography site and provide recommendations on the best dive locations and travel tips to our followers. If you are a seasoned diver with world class diving experience you will most likely be disappointed with the diving experience and the dive shop at BLR. At each lagoon dive site we found the visibility to be extremely poor, generally around 75 feet or less, sometimes much less. Not ideal for photography. Because the lagoon is so shallow there is a lot of dead coral from storm damage and you spend a lot of time diving over dead coral. The dive sites generally have a few coral heads and there really isn’t much to see until you get to the coral heads. A great disappointment was the lack of big fish, I suspect this is due to spearfishing by the locals, we saw several small boats that were spearfishing near dive sites and learned that locals from Pacific Harbor came over at night to spearfish the dive sites. Nor will you find large schools of fish such as jacks or snapper, actually there were no big schools of fish at all that we saw in 24 dives. We did see a few small schools of barracuda and a shark or two, along with a few small turtles and small lobsters but no large ones. We were also expecting an abundance of colorful soft corals but were disappointed that there were so few as compared to the abundance of colorful soft coral at Taveuni and the Bligh Waters. The dive operation caters to large groups rather than your individual diving experience, so you will be diving with up to 16 or 22 divers of varying experience levels, mostly new divers. No small boat diving option is available. Even the shark dive, which is combined with another dive operation from Pacific Harbor, may have up to 32 divers in the water from the combined operations. This is a lot of divers converging on one spot and for a seasoned diver it does take away an immense amount of pleasure by getting your mask knocked about and your head pounded by inexperienced divers hyped up on a shark induced adrenaline rush. While the shark dive is billed as the “best”, we have experienced many and this one was good but not the best we have experienced by far. BLR has plans to implement their own shark dive in the future, hopefully, they will keep it to a smaller group. I was also disappointed that the dive guides had limited knowledge of the names of fish and critters. They tend to focus on a select few, pre-written on their slate, to show guests but on several occasions I asked the name of an unusual find only to be told they didn’t know or they gave me a name, which I learned later was incorrect. After each dive you are asked to give your time and depth to be recorded by the staff which was annoying especially since we were not given a printout of it at the end of our visit as promised. The dive operation does not have any interest in taking divers to better dive locations located outside or just on the edge of the lagoon, requests are excused away, and as a result BLR dives the closer inner lagoon that has less than optimum diving. We learned BLR may be providing future trips to better dive sites outside of the lagoon but for an additional upcharge. For experienced photographers the dive sites around BLR are also less than ideal and you would be better served choosing another dive location in Fiji, there are many to choose from including great liveaboards. There was no camera table on our boat and the camera bucket sometimes had two or three layers of cameras stuffed in them, causing some divers to scurry to get their camera before any damage could occur. The boats are old, slow and in need of maintenance which accounts for some of the reluctance to take divers to the more distant but far better dive locations. There was tension between folks within the dive operation that clearly impacted the guest experience. This tension along with a patronizing attitude to the guests and staff by the dive managers made for some very uncomfortable situations. Upon departure my expectation as told to me by the dive manager was that our equipment would be cleaned. It was dunked but not cleaned so when it dried there was salt water in the BC and it was encrusted with salt. The level of diving at BLR is far from world class and I suspect that the puzzling high ratings given on Tripadvisor are from new or occasional divers that frequent cattle boat operations with groups and pronounce the diving is “world class” because they have limited comparative experience. Comparing BLR to other dive operations in Fiji and around the Pacific, they fall quite short of the mark in providing a quality and memorable dive experience for their guests. My hope is that seasoned divers reading this review will now have clear expectations when selecting their dive location and if they choose to go to BLR then they do so with level set expectations with regard to the quality of diving.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank IslandTimeDiver
Bula IlandtimeDiver,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the very detailed comments relating to your recent stray with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort.
I have shared your detailed feedback with our Dive Management team who have reviewed each of the areas of concern you have raised. In a concentrated answer to your comments we do take on board your operational observations as we work towards the upgrade Dive Centre. Once we have completed these renovations I would be very happy to hare with you the completed product. As for the diving observation, Beqa Lagoon is a nutrient rich area which benefits the growth and survival of the many soft coral species we are renown for around the world. The world class label for diving is as recommended by the many divers who dive the Lagoon every year as is the Shark dive comments. We can only thank you for your comments and will truly work hard to ensure that our guest experience continues to live up to the expectations our guest have of our diving paradise.
I would close my response by saying that we have a very active management feedback focus and I did not receive any of this feedback directly or indirectly of these concerns raised and would have been very happy to discuss any or all of the points you have raised in person.
Graeme Back and the Beqa Lagoon Resort Team
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Spent 8 nights at BLR at the beginning of February. I really can't say enough good about the entire resort.

1. Transportation - Our driver (Sonny?) was awesome. My wife wanted to stop on the way to the resort about 3 times to try different fruit along the way from the road-side vendors, he'd stop for us and negotiate the price.
2. Diving - The diving was great. Unfortunately, because we went during cyclone season and they saw 6ft of rain in places the day before we arrived, the water wasn't as clear as they said it could be or should be. As previously expressed, DO NOT miss the shark dive. My wife and I both feel that this was the best dive we've ever done. Having bull's that close was an experience we'll never forget.
3. Food - The meals were top notch. My wife is a vegan which at times can make finding restaurants a bit of a problem. Not here. We explained her dietary restrictions before we arrived and once again once we arrived and didn't have a problem. They custom-made her food every meal and would get her whatever she'd like. As for me, I loved the meals, the meat were great. I still remember the lamb.
4. Accommodation - Our beachfront bure was awesome, the private plunge pool was a nice way to cool off. The room itself did feel tired and could probably use a bit of a refresh but other than that, we had no complaints. The A/C was well functioning as was all the plumbing. The fresh flowers on a daily basis was a very nice touch. The wi-fi signal was right in our bure which turned out to be awesome for us…never an issue with bandwidth except for the afternoon the wifi went down.
5. Staff - The dive team, the front office, the kitchen staff and the grounds staff were all exceptional. Mary probably got tired of charging several devices per day for me put you'd never know by her reaction to my face every morning! The GM at the time, Mark was very accommodating to us. He made sure all our needs were taken care of. Frank was an absolute delight. We ended up forgetting the charger for our toothbrush and had no problem paying for it to be shipped back but they never asked for a dime. Very courteous of the resort. The only point we made on the exit survey was that we felt staff should be more diligent at picking up garbage along the beachfront.

It was an absolutely great week that we'll never forget! You will be tired after diving but make sure you make it to the school or village tour, it was a great experience!

Room Tip: Treat yourself, get a beach front bure.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bula drewsntravel,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the wonderful comments relating to your recent stay with u at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I continue to ensure that we work very hard on ensuring each guest experience delivered at Beqa Lagoon Resort is as memorable as yours and we also look forward to welcoming you back to Beqa Lagoon Resort sometime very soon.
Graeme BAck and Beqa Lagoon Team
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

For my wife and I , this was our second visit to this resort. On this trip, we were traveling with just one other couple where previously we were part of a group of 56. This resort caters to divers and offers diving on some incredible dives in Bequ Lagoon. The visability started fair Due to runoff from heavy rains on the main island but gradually improved to 100' +. The water temperature was 81-82. Most divers wore a wet suit, but is was very comfertanle in just a t-shirt and swim trunks. The dive boats were older and slow but drinks and snacks wer provided between dives and they do have a marine head on board. NItrox is availible and ranged from 28-34% O2. The boat crews and DM's were Fijian and knowledgable and friendly. The shark dive was great. Many large sharks and thousands of fish. BLR is supposed to be delveloping their own shark dive. The Fijian people could not be friendlier. On arrival, we were greeted by people singing on the beach and once settled in our bures, treated to a complimentary foot massage. The resort offers many activities and features a full service spa. We enjoyed massages and my wife, a sun burn treatment. The food was great, BLR was able to accomodate my special diet needs. Serving sizes were set and a few times were not large enough for my appetite. Many activities are availible to participate in like Kava ceremonies or watching the famous fire walkers. BLR has some maintance issues, but the appeared to be working on these. The pool was in need of cleaning and the fountains in the koi ponds were not workinfg. Overall we very very satisfied with our weel at Beqa Logoon Resort and would not hesitate to reccomend it to others.

Room Tip: Ocen front bures come with their own hammock and plunge pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doug340
Bula Doug340,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the warm and caring comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that we do really hope to be able to welcome you back to Beqa Lagoon sometime very soon.
Graeme Back and Beqa Lagoon Resort team
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island
Waidroka Bay Resort
Waidroka Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Korovisilou

Been to Beqa Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!