“Nature-lover's Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nature-lover's Paradise”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This will be one of our most memorable vacations yet. It happened to be the coldest week on record but the cold only dampened one day of diving for us (but the boat still went out for the hard-core). The Dive Team was awesome. Saved me from injury at least twice. The Fijians on the island are a little shy, so they don't interact as much with the guests but they are very kind. Dive masters were all very capable and I felt safe diving along with them. The crew responded to the cold by bringing tea on board. My only criticism was the lack of towels which really sucked with the blowing rain and windy weather. The shark dive was definitely worth it and they even made a video that you could purchase to take home. I recommend that you confirm that you can play the DVD before shipping off as the quality of the burning was a little rough and it took me a couple of ejecting and resetting before it played on my laptop. The diving was amazing, John's Tunnel and Joe's Best were my favorite spots. We typically dive in the Caribbean, so the abundance of sea-life is breath-taking in comparison. There were days with pretty choppy waves and one dive with a bit of a current but most of the dives were pretty easy.

The facilities are a bit dated so don't look for what I would consider "luxury" accommodations. We followed the advice from earlier reviews and brought our own pillows - and were glad that we did!! The bures were clean and adequately furnished. The water pressure in the shower was extremely low but the hot water supply seemed adequate. There was a pool in front of each bure which we used as a cold tub for our scuba equipment. It was to damn cold to sit out there in cold water!! Also the walls were pretty thin so you can hear your neighbor when in the bathroom... not particularly private. Wifi service wasn't great - they need more bandwidth!!

The Fijians were just wonderful during out stay at the resort and our visit to their villages. We me with the chief and visited the schools and infirmary. The children were amazing and and I was very impressed with the teacher's control of her classroom. I highly recommend bringing school supplies with you when you come to donate. Be sure to bring enough for at least two classrooms of children as we had to divide what we brought between the two villages. I would also recommend bringing standard first aid supplies for their infirmary.

The activities were entertaining, we didn't miss television one bit. I didn't even need my iphone music. Unfortunately, I got sick on the most entertaining evening of the week (Firewalker and Kava Nigh) but the photos and the stories from our fellow divers were awesome and their pictures backed up every LOL-episode.

Food was delicious and I was amazed what they could accomplish with just a couple of cooks. We bought alcohol at the LAX airport (or you can purchase in Nadi) and saved a ton of cash adding it to virgin drinks. You really can't drink that much with the diving so one between the two of us would have been enough. There is a drink that they made called Kitchiboom that was awesome (..I think rum with coconut and something else very yummy) I highly recommend splurging on it.

The Spa services were pretty basic...as I said Luxury is NOT the emphasis here but I still felt pampered during my 'mini-pedi' which essentially meant trimming and painting. They could probably do a little better here (foot soaking, I don't know). The space is amazing though a very zen.

There is a main pool but it was too cold most of the time to even contemplate getting in. Of note we were there the last week of July which is there winter.

Room Tip: Choose higher number bures away from the main lodge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank agrave2
GraemeBack, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Bula Agrave2,
Thank you for sharing with our readers feedback from your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. You were correct and saying we had a very unseasonable cool spell during your stay which ended up being the coolest recorded temperatures on record. We have now entered into much warmer weather patterns which is great for everyone. I have shared to valuable feedback with my team and do look forward to hosting again sometime in the very near future.
Graeme and the Beqa Lagoon Resort Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
texas
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just returned from Fiji were we celebrated our 30th anniversary. We stayed here our 2nd week and loved it. Yes the facilities are a bit dated but they are starting a 24month complete updated and we can't wait to go back. The food is good and if you want more all you have to do is ask for it. The only drawback with the food is having to select your lunch and dinner at breakfast, however this is understandable based on the remoteness of the resort. The entire staff from gardeners to the GM genuinely make you feel like you are family and that they want to be there to help you enjoy yourself. Chris, Victoria and the entire dive team are excellent and diving is awesome.

Room Tip: We stayed in a koi room and loved it.
2 Thank Teresa_watergirl
Bula Teresa_watergirl,
Thank you for sharing with our readers your kind and caring comment relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I were delighted to have welcomed you to our special piece of paradise and do hope that we can welcome you 'home" again sometime very soon.
Graeme and the Beqa Lagoon Team
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was my first scuba diving experience and I cannot praise them enough. The guys take are of everything, we have our own equipment but checked it in at the beginning of the stay. The dive masters are awesome. All of our gear was transported to and form the boat each day, dunked and all that stuff, they kept our logs for us, and held my hand (literally) on my first dive after being certified back home. I came away from that first dive much more confident, after being told over and over in class not too touch anything underwater I was a little leery to explore too far in real life. Pish Posh! My guide showed me color changing coral (that you have to TOUCH!) and other cool stuff. The food was amazing, those ladies make it fresh every meal, the cottages have a/c if you want to close all your windows, we had an amazing ocean view from our front porch with plunge pool, hammock and big yard. We spent many hours on the loungers on the porch watching the coconuts fall and the mongooses play. What is plural of mongoose? Mongooses? Mongeese? Anyhoo, it looks like a cross between a ferret and a squirrel. The spa is fabulous. Those ladies have stronger hands than you think so watch out when you ask for "firm" massage. We booked our return trip almost as soon as our bags were unpacked. Can't wait to get back in January! Oh, and we had a conference there, so we had to learn stuff too. Cant beat that with a stick. Yes, there is a several hour bus ride from the airport to the dock, then a one hour boat ride, then a smaller outboard boat to the shore. If you aren't up for that then stay home and leave paradise to the rest of us!!!! I could live there, I really could.

Room Tip: oceanview, nuff said
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Gina A
GraemeBack, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Bula Gina A,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My dive team feel extremely humbled by your feedback and when discussed with them, I felt the pride of my dive team lift.
All of our team very work hard every day to ensure that our customers feel special and assist in creating life long memories of your time with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort.
We look forward to hosting you again in January.
Vinaka from Graeme and your Beqa Lagoon Family
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were only there 3 days to do the shark dives. We were previously 10 days at Garden Island Resort. The reef in front of the resort has seen some damage and it makes the Rainbow Reef look all that much better. The shark dives were one of a kind. Even a jaded diver would be impressed with the number and variety of fish and sharks. The dive shop was the best organized I've seen and I liked the team there very much. The resort knows how to treat visitors. The atmosphere is very very good. So relaxing and the staff so attentive. They had a nightly ritual where they would turn on your porch light, replace and anti-insect device, and turn on a little tea light so when you came back from dinner your room and porch wasn't dark. They have daily classes where you can learn to weave bananna limbs or shuck a coconut. Doesn't sound like a huge deal, but I enjoyed all of them.

Room Tip: We were in the bures in the very back of the resort. Probably the cheapest ones and they were still...
2 Thank Darrell L
Bula Darrell L,
Thank you very much for sharing with our readers your exceptional comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I feel privileged to have hosted you and would look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again sometime very soon.
Vinaka
Your Beqa Lagoon Family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I spent a week at BLR and had a fantastic week. We traveled to Fiji with a group from our local diveshop. The staff, dive team, and management. The resort needs some upgrades, but all of the basics are covered. It's a great location!

The trip to the resort was stress free. The bus/van was new and comfortable. The AC worked great and the driver was fantastic. The driver met us in the airport as we left customs around 6:30 or 7 am. We stopped at a place called Jack's about halfway to the boat dock. It's a very touristy store and there is some sales pressure, but we ignored most of that. We did buy some nice souvenirs and took advantage of the free coffee offered. We also picked up a large bottle of Fiji water for less than $2 US for the rest of the ride. The total drive was about 2 or 2 1/2 hours.

The ferry was waiting for us when we arrived. You are essentially picked up by a dive boat. If you get sea sick, I very much recommend taking a dramine or other meds you brought in advance. The ride over can get rough depending on the conditions.

The diving is fantastic - the dive boat crew and dive masters chose great spots based on the conditions. The diving itself was incredible. The reefs and wildlife were beautiful and we'll be hard pressed to top it. The dive masters were wonderful to dive with. They kept track of divers and pointed out interesting fish and creatures. Some of our favorite spots were Joe's Best, Nemo's Garden, and Carpet Cove. Some reviews I read indicated that the dive boats broke down. We didn't experience that at all. Occasionally it seemed that the engines burned some oil and once it looked like some oil or gas was spilled into the water. I'd like to see the engines tuned up a bit, but otherwise we never had any issues with the boats. They were reliable and never broke down.

The dive center is currently bare boned - there are storage areas and a tank filling area. They have some rental equipment and parts for repair, but not a ton. We recommend bringing your own gear, or contacting the resort in advance if you need anything specific. We absolutely recommend bringing a full save-the-dive kit, including o-rings, spare dive computer batteries, and any specific parts that are somewhat unique to your gear (such as BCD integrated inflater hoses). They may be able to provide missing parts or other divers may be able to help out, but don't risk your trip by not having something you need. We also understand that there is active construction and plans to expand the dive center, which sound wonderful. Once completed, it sounds like BLR will have a fantastic dive center.

The resort grounds are pretty. Some of the pools and fountains need some clean up, but the weather wasn't nice the first half of the week we were there and it's winter in Fiji, so I'm not sure if this part of the grounds is better maintained in the warmer months.

The rooms are nice. The sitting areas are nice and they are very big. The lighting at night isn't fantastic, but we honestly didn't spend must time in the room at night awake. We usually left the lodge/dining room at 8:30, read our kindles in bed, and were asleep by 9:30 or so, tired out from diving. The beds are good, but the pillows are a bit flat and a couple of ours were pretty lumpy. We took the recommendation of one of our group members and picked up two $5 pillows from Target. We put them in vacuum seal bags and brought them with us. We were very glad that we had them. We just left them at the resort when we left.

You can purchase wifi for a period of time or for the full week. My husband and I got it for the week. It was a little spotty in our room, although being at the end of the resort, that wasn't surprising. The one day I had to log in to my remote desktop at work, I took my laptop to the dining/lodge area and did it there with no problems whatsoever. You can also only connect 2 devices to the internet, so chose carefully! We connected a laptop and an iPad. If we wanted to add anything to our kindles, we did it through the laptop.

The food was one of the best parts of the trip. The food was delicious. We thought the portions were great, but if you wanted more, many in our group were able to ask for a bit more or a second portion and were accommodated. We were also able to make special requests, such as dressing on the side, a side salad instead of the side offered on the menu, etc. Some of our favorite meals: the roti (vegetarian), the steak/filet for dinner, the mahi mahi skewers, and the burger. All of the desserts were delicious. The only food suggestion I had was to offer a sweet bite after lunch, but if you wanted, there were tasty chocolate chip cookies ($3 FJ) and coffee available after lunch.

The people were great. The staff were unfailingly friendly and welcoming. The management was visible and from the interaction we saw, there is mutual respect between staff and management. The staff genuinely wishes to please and we recommend speaking to them or the management about any issues so they can try to help. The school tour/visit was wonderful. The children are all so happy. We brought a bunch of colored pencils, and others in our group brought a variety of other school supplies. If you would like to bring things for the school or things for the villagers, I would suggest contacting the resort for current needs. It is entirely optional and many in the tour (both in our travel group and others) didn't bring anything, so don't feel pressured to do so.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay and hope to return some day to BLR!

Room Tip: Bures 17-19 aren't beachfront. We were in 17. We would have loved to have had a beach front bu...
4 Thank jacy85
GraemeBack, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Bula Jacy85,
Thank you for haring with sharing with our readers detailed feedback on your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I feel extremely humbled and proud that we have made your holiday with us a very special experience and while we continue to work on our improvement programme your feedback is signalling that we are heading in the right direction.
We do look forward to hosting you again sometime in the future.
Kind Regards
Graeme and the Beqa Lagoon Team.
Libreville, Gabon
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Beqa Lagoon Resort is an absolutely wonderful location to stay for as long as you can! I had an amazing time here, the entire staff is very helpful and friendly and they work very closely with the local communities. The dive operation was great, the only improvement i could recommend is a bit more attention to personal gear, but it was hardly worth mentioning. The food was fabulous and the activity opportunities fun and inclusive. The local villages are just as friendly and I highly recommend a visit, make the time, it is totally worth it and you will get a chance to experience the real Fiji. If I ever make it back to Fiji my travels will definitely include another stop at Beqa Island Resort!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jeff B
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Bula JeffB,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the excellent comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I are extremely proud that we have been able to exceed all of your expectations and can I say we had a lot of fun doing this each and every day.
We do hope that we can host you again sometime very soon.
Vinaka
Graeme Back and Beqa Lagoon Resort Team
Detroit
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This trip was definitely one of the best trips I have ever taken. Truly an adventure getting to the island itself, but once there you never want to leave. The bure overlooking the ocean was just absolutely gorgeous! The flowers that were in bloom, the flying bats, the chattering of the birds the playful mongoose scurrying on the grounds. All meals are top-notch! Every staff member will go out of their way to make sure that your needs are met. This includes the dive staff and also the waitstaff. The people on the island are the most friendly I have met and the diving is the most spectacular I have ever experienced. I will definitely come here again.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank pmccann33
Bula Pmccann33,
Thank you for sharing with our readers the comments relating to your recent stay with us at Beqa Lagoon Resort. My team and I are very proud that we have exceeded your expectation in every way during your stay with us.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to Beqa Lagoon sometime very soon.
Graeme Back and Beqa Lagoon Team
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island
Waidroka Bay Resort
Waidroka Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Korovisilou

Been to Beqa Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!