Grand Isla Navidad Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hoya Del Mar(Barra de Navidad)
View Hotel
Hotel Delfin(Barra de Navidad)
View Hotel
Hotel La Alondra(Barra de Navidad)
View Hotel
Trivento Hotel(Barra de Navidad)
  • Pool
Posada Pacifico(Barra de Navidad)
View Hotel
Hotel Barra de Navidad(Barra de Navidad)
  • Pool
Hotel Sarabi(Barra de Navidad)
  • Pool
Bungalows Marvida(Barra de Navidad)
View Hotel
El Marquez de Santana(Barra de Navidad)
View Hotel
Cabo Blanco Hotel(Barra de Navidad)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswater taxigrand baygolf coursepool bartrue starincluded in our packagelarge hotelfish tacosgolf packagemanzanillo airportthe entire hotella plazuelarest and relaxationmain poolall inclusive guestspesos per persontennis courts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2008

We recently returned from a wonderfully relaxing vacation at the Wyndam Grand Bay Resort. As most reviews tell you on this location, you go to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and peace and quiet.
My huband and I are in our early thirties and knew ahead of time that we did not want a typical crazy Mexico trip. We wanted to enjoy the ambiance, be pampered and mostly be lazy. We also chose to go in the low season so we would have the place to ourselves (which we practically did).
We would highly advise anyone looking for the same things we were to try out the resort and the wonderful area.
The grounds were immaculate as was the building itself, it does show some normal wear and tear of a hotel this size, but the number of people we saw everyday giving the grounds and interior attention was amazing.
When we booked our vacation I called corporate Wyndam directly to book and they suggested I go ahead and sign up on the rewards program (which is free), she went on to tell me that when you check in as a rewards member at the hotel if an upgrade is available they will give it to you. (we did have to inquire about this at the hotel but they promptly moved us from a luxury room to a suite)
Our room was very nice and very clean, the furnishings could be updated along with the bed but everthing was in great condition and well taken care of so it didnt matter.
The parlor suite (which we stayed in) has a wet bar, a nice size living room, a small dining area and a large bedroom with a large bathroom with stand ue shower and tub, the toilet is separate along with the bidet. There is also another smaller bathroom with a toilet and stand up shower in the living area. The balcony is very large with a table and two chairs. They replaced all of the complementary toiletries everyday (a lot of hotels only replace shampoo and conditioner). Housekeeping did a great job while we were there and of course there was turn down service in the evening.
The restaurants and food were good, our favorites were lunch out by the pool (fried chicken tacos, quasadillas and burgers were great), (also see if you can get your hands on some coconut ice cream and try the mango smoothies). Almost every morning we took the water taxi to Barra and ate at Bananas overlooking the waves. We had breakfast once or twice at the hotel but preferred Bananas due to the pricing and ambiance. Dinner was okay at the hotel but we are spoiled when it comes to food. The cream soup was wonderful at Grand Cafe but we didnt care for much of anything else. We tried Antonios one night and the service was fabulous (we had the place to ourselves) and the presentation and taste of the food was very good. There is a tequila bar in the restaurant and after trying a small amount of a special tequila reserve and having a starter, salad and two entrees along with two cocktails we ran up a $180.00 bill. We did eat at Pipi's on Barra for hamburgers and they were decent for about $3.50 USD hamburger and fries. You cant beat that price. Our favorite on the island was Los Arcos De Jalisco Restaurant for dinner,(they also have breakfast and lunch but we didnt make it) the price was great the place was one of the nicest and the food was unbelievable!!( we spent the equivalent of $22.00 USD for to entrees and two cocktails) (more authentic mexican). Dont skip trying this place out!
I will skip back to the hotel and staff, they really were wonderful and very friendly, they will do what they can to accomodate any request. Most speak some english but there are a few that wont, you really shouldnt have any problems.
The pools were very nice, the waitstaff in the pool area were very attentive. They do have a sand volleyball court, a mini putting green, tennis courts a movie theater, water volleyball, slides connecting all three pools, hammocks in all the right places, a gym, I am sure I am forgetting something.
We did try the spa for massages and they did a wonderful job.
They have a guy in the evenings at the bar selling handrolled cigars. If you are a efficiando you might want to skip these and buy a brand you know (they sell others there), but from my husbands opinion (who loves cigars) they were okay. One thing we found out to late is they have sushi on Friday and Saturdays at the bar. We didnt try it but heard from another guest that is was wonderful.
We would go back in a heart beat and highly recommend visiting the area and the resort.
PS yes you will need mosquito spray for the evenings:)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank desperate4RandR
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We booked this place for a get away. Its private, clean, but close to town via a 5 min boat ride to an old school rustic Mexican town. I can not say enough out how nice this place was. The grounds were impeccable and the staff was accommodating. There is a 27 hole golf course and lots of pools. We will be back for sure. If you are looking for an amazing Mexico getaway this is the place. Please note, the entire place is private and you can only get there by boat or a very long car ride on a private road so your kids are safe. We will be back soon

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lovetoplayCalifornia
Reviewed 4 May 2008

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Grand Bay Hotel. It is hard to express how neat and beautiful the hotel is. We have never seen anything like it. As others have reported, we were met with cool towels and orange drinks, which is nice since it was very hot and humid. We were fortunate to be there on a group trip, so I am not sure how much the hotel costs, but it would be worth a lot.
The rooms were full of beautiful, cool marbel and air conditioning. We had a wonderful veiw of the boat harbor where we could enjoy seeing several large yachts. The bathrooms were great, seperate glass shower and large soaking tub. The housekeepers came twice a day to take care of the room. There was even a great makeup table for me!
The staff was so friendly. Many new some English, but a few (especially housekeepers) did not know much. Everyone smiled and said hello!
The food was of Mediterainian style. We thought it would be lots of burritos and tacos, etc., but not at the hotel. You can get that if you go to Barra.
We would highly recommend golfing on the course. Try and golf the Ocean View and Mountain View if possible. If you don't golf still get a ride to "La Playa" on the course. The shuttle will take you to an amazing portion of beach along the course (hole 14). Tell the shuttle driver when you want him to return, we found that two hours was plenty. Hardly anyone knows about it...the day we were there, we were the only eight people there, for about a mile of beach. Be careful not to go to far into the water as the undertow is very strong. Then there are stairs on the side of the hill/cliff that will take you to a beautiful 2nd beach. Worth the climb! This beach experience was probably our favorite of the whole time we were there.
The pool is great. Several layers to it, the top being for kids. The slides are very enjoyable for them. If the kids are too much for you there is a great "hidden" pool on the 10th floor. Even if you don't swim in it, we would recommend exploring to find it. That area is the suites for the rich people, but there is no sign saying you can't go there!:) The 10th floor also gives you an incredible view of the house on the hillside.
We did use the boats to go to Barra, don't plan to use credit cards. This is a small, rural town that will accept US dollars, but prefers pesos. The beach is beautiful here too. And for those of you craving Pepsi (only Diet Pepsi is available at the hotel, I have no idea why) it can be found in Barra.
My husband and friends were able to jet ski one day. They were able to talk the rental place on the beach in front of the hotel down to $60 US if they paid in cash and didn't charge their rooms. This was for a half hour. My husband is VERY FRUGAL and he said it was totally worth it!
If you want lots of shopping and things constantly going on, the Grand Bay may not be the place for you. If you enjoy watching television a lot, plan on taking a vacation from it. There are a couple of English speaking channels, but they mainly have the stuff on you find at the 2 for one dollar aisle of the video store. If you want a beautiful place to go and relax at, book it now. Take a book or magazines and LOTS OF SUNSCREEN! Make sure to catch the sunsets!!!

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Tonya L
Reviewed 21 April 2008

I am 30. My boyfriend (36) and i live in Texas, and decided to take a different trip. For my B-day he let me choose where i wanted to go, and i remembered writing down a place that i had seen on the travel channel. we booked our stay and it was the best trip i have been on in such a looooong time. I have been to mexico several times before since i use to live right by the border, but never to a place like this. The place is sooo beautiful, friendly, and has the best little tacos EVER!! We stayed at the Grand Bay & had their soup while at the pool and OMG was it good!! Everyday we would rush over to Barra in the boat taxi to have a nice breakfast and coffee & just enjoy watching the locals set up shop. everyone is soooo friendly & you wish you lived there. There are little taco stands along the streets and any one of them will satisfy your craving. we are going back on May 1st & we just cant wai! We are taking the kids with us this time because we think they will enjoy the slide at Isla Navidad & will like playing in the sand on the beach while we watch the sunset. this is a beatiful place that just has not been discovered yet & i hope it stays that way.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank jennydc78
Reviewed 15 April 2008

The Grand Bay Hotel is phenominal. Set up in the hills, it is gloriously secluded and quiet. My family and I stayed here when we realized our first hotel in Barra was a dump. I am a woman of air conditioning and clean bathrooms.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by the staff with fresh beverages and hot towels. The attention to our presence was unbeatable. When at the pool, I would come back to my lounge chair, to see that my towel had been straightened, and my magazines neatly stacked up for me. The staff was incredibly attentive and charming. We ordered the most fabulous drinks and food by the pool, not wanting to ever leave this oasis of serenity and service.
I cannot say enough about the service here. Yes, our rooms were clean and nice, the pool was fantastic, but above all, I will always remember being treated like a queen all day long.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends