Grand Isla Navidad Resort
Hotel La Alondra(Barra de Navidad)
US$57
Trivento Hotel(Barra de Navidad)
US$33
US$32
  • Pool
Hotel Barra de Navidad(Barra de Navidad)(Great Value!)
US$71
  • Pool
Hotel Sarabi(Barra de Navidad)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$34
  • Pool
Cabo Blanco Hotel(Barra de Navidad)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$58
  • Restaurant
Hotel Villas Coco Mango(Barra de Navidad)(Great Value!)
US$48
TripAdvisor
Hotel Delfin(Barra de Navidad)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswater taxigrand baygolf coursepool bartrue starincluded in our packagelarge hotelfish tacosgolf packagemanzanillo airportthe entire hotella plazuelarest and relaxationmain poolall inclusive guestspesos per persontennis courts
Reviewed 30 January 2010

We have stayed at the Grand Bay for the past 8 years so obviously we are very satisfied. Pictures do not do this elegant ,traditional ,luxury hotel justice. This is a truely outstanding hotel. We do several trips/cruises a year incuding the usual 4 to 5 star all inclusives. If you are looking for a "belly up to the food trough/all you can drink all -inclusive" then this is NOT your hotel. At the Grand Bay you are pampered and your every need is taken care of. This AAA Four DIAMOND hotel is built around and into a 10 storey hillside. Gone are the square sterile hallways other places have. Here are 30 foot wide garden walkways connecting the numerous rooms and suites. The entire hotel is spacious with waterfalls, gardens, trees and bushes everywhere. We prefer a suite overlooking the hotels private marina in order to take advantage of the spectacular sunrise over the mountains. We do not golf but a ride out to the 27 hole course and clubhouse is a must. Everyone we talk to are impressed with its design and facilities. The hotel has three immaculate tennis courts, beach volleyball area, a huge gym and spa plus three seperate swimming pools. The main pool consists of 3 levels connected by waterslides and has the swim up bar, volleyball/polo and water exercise ares. If you prefer a little privacy then go up one floor to the "Dolhpin "pool or total quiet and luxury go up to the tenth floor ( across the sky bridge ) pool which is truely magnificent surrounded by palms and gardens. If boating is your thing the marina is worth a look at. I have seen many vessels of the 100 to 150 foot range ( the largest was 220ft including landing pad ) tied up in the hotels private marina. There are full services for both sail and power. If I have any negative comment, believe me it is petty, is the lack of casual evening dining. There are two very exclusive restaurants - Antonio's and the Terrace- however we do like a change during our 2 week stay. Fortino"s in Collimila - about a 100 yards outside the hotel ( 5 min walk) serves the best coconut shrimp or a 60 second ( 10 peso) water taxi ride across the harbour/lagoon channel takes you to Barra de Navidad and dozens of restaurants, clubs and shops. Our favorite "hole in the wall" is Mexico Lindo. You may have to wait a couple of minutes but is well worth it as I am sure it is the most popular and economical place in town. A mile down the beach or a 6 pesos "chicken bus" ride takes you to Melaque, a larger beach town and dozens of clubs and other places to explore. However back to the Grand Bay Hotel. Yes we certainly recommend this place for a quiet luxurious elegant and extemely safe holiday. Please feel free to contact us via TripAdvisor for any questions.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bothearlyretirement
Reviewed 4 January 2010

The hotel was "fabuloso" - it's situated, however on 300 acres and leaving the place by hotel transport is pricey. I would rent a car next time. There is access by "panga" or small boat from the hotel to an isle situated on a sandbar located across the bay from the hotel, however. This "panga" operates 24 hrs a day (20 pesos per trip) and $1.75 one can experience "old Mexico" there with shops, restaurants, bars, and transport boats that take guests tor various little fishing towns along the coasts, including Manzinillo, Colima, etc. The ocean was a bit cool in December, as were the various pools, altho the kids didn't seem to notice.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank zydeco54
Reviewed 1 January 2010

The resort was beautiful and clearly has the potential to be an exceptional spot for relaxation with friends and family or a romantic getaway. The setting, the buildings, and the pool really were gorgeous. It really would not have taken much to "blow me away" if the resort had lived up to its potential.
While the "have a seat in our lobby, relax, enjoy a complimentary juice drink, and we will get your room ready" approach may appeal to some folks, I really would have been happier to just be handed the key, put my luggage down, and get settled.
The room was very clean and well maintained overall, though the tub was dingy looking. I realize bugs can be a problem in Mexico, this room (#515) was not bad at all, but I did find a tiny (size of an large ant) cockroach or two, virtually every time I turned on the light in the bathroom (it got to be a game).
The resort is secluded, a 20 minute drive from anything, which could be nice.... The gift shop had no snacks or drinks (and closed at 8pm). The selection in the room's minibar was not great, and there was no price list that I could find. Rather than get charged $6.00 for a package of Gummy Bears I didn't want anyway, I ended up driving out to town to get some snack items on the second day. Every other resort, and even most hotels I have stayed in offer a assortment of snacks and beverages for its guests. Relying exclusively on the restaurants, room service and minibar didn't work well for me.
The restaurants weren't to my taste, which I think is pretty liberal. Didn't like the "fish market" approach they offered a couple nights I was there - would rather order off the menu. The sandwiches were okay, nothing great. The menus at the upscale restaurants, didn't appeal to me, the prices didn't seem bad, but I could find anything that sounded good on the menu. When we were leaving, we ordered two salads to go, just mixed greens, some avocado, onions, etc. They were very good, but I didn't see them on a menu anywhere during our stay. The breakfast buffet was excellent, probably the best I've seen in many trips to Mexico. My only comment there was the staff was overwhelming (the first day I was asked literally five times in the first two minutes if I wanted coffee, finally I said yes just to keep anyone else from asking). Every day they were there as soon as you put down your cup to fill it up again. It seemed weird, but I suppose it could have been worse. On the other hand, I could not find a bartender in the resort that made me want to have a second drink. The first margarita I had on the property was great. I ordered three more in subsequent days that were horrible. I was a bartender for 7 years, prefer to sit at the bar while I eat, and just like the bar atmosphere. The bartenders there were grumpy, underemployed, and reclusive. They would take your drink order, give it to someone else, disappear for a while, and never come back to check how things were. Overall, the drinks were not good and the atmosphere was bad. The bars were empty; I don't think it was because the resort was having a "slow" week. I would attribute it to the lousy atmosphere.
Adan at the concierge desk was the one shining star who seemed genuinely interested in fixing the problems with internet reception in our wing of the hotel and followed up with me the next day on it. He was very pleasant to work with despite the fact that the resolution took way to long.
The staff doesn't seem to know what "do not disturb" sign means. Three times in the four days they knocked and entered the room when the sign was posted.
The fitness center was very good, with a relatively good array of equipment, but dated. The "beach" is small, and on a closed-in bay. Lastly, the pool was on the cool side. Granted I like it warm, but as I sat poolside people were constantly saying how cold it was.

Like I said, this place has the potential to be absolutely outstanding. In my short observation, it falls short of that potential. Overhauling the menus, warming up the pool, and spreading a few more smiles around would go a long way to making this resort very special.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank freakwentflyR
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Took advantage of the Wyndham Rewards promotion at this location for suites at 50%, stayed in a wonderful suite overlooking the marina, hotel provided an additional bed for a 3 year old plus a cot for baby. Service levels were as good as ever, if anything improved from our last visit. We have been going to this hotel for a number of years and it is nice to see the same staff each time. Golf course is in excellent condition and the special rate was great value. Spa services were alos good.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mexirish
Reviewed 6 November 2009

We had read the review written in April 2006 from the people from Paso Robles and found that to be, in retrospect, “right on”, so there is little more we can add. The hotel sits in a fabulous location on a lagoon and you can see Barra de Navidad across the waterway. We were not met at the door as they were, but once we made our way to the reception desk we were asked to sit on the couch and were given a delicious fruit punch and wet towel as we were checked in there. We had booked a Luxury Room so we were escorted to the 10th floor, which has a fabulous view of Barra Navidad and the lagoon. This floor has three big suites and a few single rooms. Our room was nicely decorated in soft colors, was very clean and in very good condition and this was 3 years after their review! A fruit plate was waiting for us and jazz music was piped into the room. We would have preferred a different kind of music so we turned it off. The 10th floor has a pool, bar area and Jacuzzi, which is very private and quiet. The bathroom amenities were complete with everything including a comb, magnifying mirror, telephone and piped in music. There is a complete mini bar. The television swivels so you can see it from the bed, or from the couch or from the table. The room was cleaned, sheets and towels changed everyday and bed turndown service every evening.

The grounds were lovely and perfectly manicured. There were many different pools and the main one has a “swim up bar”. We believe that is an adults only pool, but there were some children in it when we were there. There is a Kids’ Club for the children, which is wonderful entertainment for the kids. There is a 27-hole golf course, “mini golf”, three tennis courts, volleyball, ping-pong and any kind of water sport like jet skiing. We went deep-sea fishing with the intention of only catching a sailfish. The hotel set us up with a big boat (had a toilet!) a captain and two guys who did the baiting and set us up. Within ½ hour of trolling we caught a huge sailfish and two dorados (mahi mahi). It was our first time and we were so excited. There is a nice marina and grocery store right there so people come in for weeks at a time on their boats. They can pay for passes to use the resort’s pools, etc.

There are little ponga boats or skiffs that you can take to get to Barra that run 24 hours a day for about $2.00 round trip. The town is very colorful, has lots of restaurants, stores and there is a public beach.

We had room service one night and it was prompt, the soup arrived hot, the salad cold and fresh. The service people were polite and accommodating. In fact, all the wait staff was extremely friendly and helpful. A buffet breakfast was included in our room and there were so many choices we could have had something different for weeks! Bountiful is a good word for it! Any kind of omelet, cereals, granola, fruits, juices, French toast, hot cakes, yogurt, sweets and on and on.

We ate at the fine dining restaurant called Antonio’s for two nights and we overheard someone say it was the best restaurant in all of Mexico! The food was delicious, the presentation was beautiful and the atmosphere and ambiance was romantic. They have a tequila bar unlike any we’ve ever seen. For lunch we usually ate at La Plazuela next to the large pool, which has a lot of great choices.

The only complaint we had was the amount of mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Fortunately we had brought our own bug spray. We were there the first week of November and the bugs should begin to leave, but this past summer was very humid and that is when they are around.

This is a resort we would recommend to anyone. We know many Mexicans spend the Holidays there and it can be very crowded at that time. We would definitely return at a time when there are fewer people there, like we just experienced.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple