“Nice building, interesting artwork, noisy area, over-priced rooms”
Review of Posada Casa Sol

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Posada Casa Sol
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Merida
London, United Kingdom
“Nice building, interesting artwork, noisy area, over-priced rooms”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed here in March for a few days. Pretty building and interesting artwork but way too over-priced and the area was noisy at nights. There were a couple of other places up the hill that offered a better deal (without the artwork but I can always go to a free gallery!!!!)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I looked forward to staying here as I read so much good reviews on it. We were very tired when our group ( a total of 22 from Slovenia and the USA) arrived there the night of April 22, 2012 . I stayed in room 2 which was adjacent to the reception desk. It was noisy. I heard noise throughout the night. I got up early to take pictures of the gardens. On my way out, the housekeeper asked if he could clean the room. It was not even 7:30 AM and my room mate was still in bed. A few minutes after, they were serving breakfast. I went ahead and ordered breakfast but I waited for so long. Then, the waiter told me me that he "had forgotten what I had ordered"! Meanwhile, the rest of our group were already heading outside to get on the tour bus. I had forgotten my brand new mobile phone ( a Samsung Rugby) in room 2 and did not realize it until we got to Laguna Negra. I told our local guide, Carlos Mora (of Natoura Tour). He reassured me that I would get it back. When he called them up, they said that they never found it. It was on my bed by the pillow because I had use the alarm feature to wake me up at 7 AM on April 23, 2012. . Surely, the housekeeper who changed the sheets would have seen it! I was terribly disappointed. When Mr. Mora asked me how much I paid for it, I told him that it cost me $100. When I got back to the USA, I was told by my wireless telephone provider that since I had just gotten a new phone with the discounted rate, it would cost me a lot more to get the same telephone. I will never stay there again and I warn the guests who want to stay there to make sure that they keep an eye on their belongings. Some of their staff was not very honest!

Room Tip: Stay away from this place.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TRAVELdglobenow
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in Posada Casa Sol for 4 days. The place is located very close to the central square. You can order breakfast in the Posada and only breakfast, but the staff of the Posada let you order and deliver a pizza to the room. We stayed in a small room, old enough ... This may have had the idea of the designer. If so, then he/she did a fantastic job, as the stand by the bed in the room looked like it was covered with the mould in the past. We had the opportunity to see other rooms, which were open and refreshing between arrival of visitors, and they looked a bit newer. However, the place is very nice and we had a great view to the mountains. A small garden, fresh air, silence, flowers, bees, Humming bird, goldfish ...a good place for a relaxing stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2011

How many times have you booked a place based on photos only to find when you get there it doesn't quite meet your expectations?

Posada Casa Sol is one of those amazing places where the photos don't do it justice. They are merely a hint of what is an amazing example of a spanish-inspired posada in Venezuela, decorated with some excellent and varied artworks.

Our bed was a little soft but certainly nothing to complain about. The room was spacious, and the plumbing worked fine. The fact the hot water took a minute to heat up just added to the atmosphere. There are plenty of sitting areas, and the garden is private and beautiful.

The staff are very accommodating and friendly, and breakfast was a very pleasant experience. Location is good, close to some excellent restaurants and very close to the heart of town.

Booking and communications pre-arrival went smoothly and the staff even assisted organising an airport transfer (recommended).

It's simply elegant and charming, and I wish our stay here could have been longer.

I would recommend a stay at Posada Casa Sol anytime.

My tips: Always pay in USD in Venezuela due to the various exchange rates that apply. Also, book the most expensive room you can. The rooms are all nice but the extra space comes at such a small price.

Room Tip: Discuss your accommodation costs when you book in USD rather than the local currency. It will reduce...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1800hammer
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We spent 3 nights in Casa Sol and it was perfect! Very friendly staff ( to tell the truth, it was the only place in Venezuela we visited, where the stuff could speak English). Very nice and stylish interior. Our 10-year-old daughter was running round the casa in delight, all these metal insects and Antonio, the tortois in the pool... The room was nice and we really enjoyed the nights in the lobby. Another important thing- WI-FI everywhere in the casa. A nice guy, who prepared breakfast for us, showed all the ingredients and talked a lot about the dishes( unfortunatly in Spanish< so we could hardly understand 10%) Sometimes it was rather slow, like everything in Venezuela but there is a special charm in it. Special thanks to Katherine and Rosario for their help and our wonderful time there, We'd like to come back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 3 October 2011

An absolute oasis in Merida, full of charm, comfort and friendly people. The rooms are adequate in size with beautiful bedding, toiletries and other comforts. Breakfast was lovely and the garden gorgeous - the hummingbirds providing hours of entertainment for our girls! Also an excellent vegetarian restaurant just down the road.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Isle of Man
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We’d read the reviews and they are spot on. The Posada Casa Sol is so lovely we couldn't believe our luck when we arrived, hot and travel-weary. It's beautifully laid out and stylish. The scrap-metal artworks everywhere make it really special. Outside it looks like a nice little town house in a Spanish style, but it's a complex of rooms, interior pools and patios/balconies. It has a magical little garden with a massive old avocado tree, where we sat and watched the hummingbirds. The staff were all really friendly and helpful, in spite of our lack of Spanish. Their English was more than adequate - especially Kathrin the 'gerente'. We particularly loved the lady with purple hair who made our breakfast and brought it to us with a smile every morning. Fresh strong coffee and fruit juices, with local charcuterie and cheeses, delicious breads, preserves, fresh fruit and, if you’re lucky, their own avocadoes, gave us a breakfast to last for most of the day. They will prepare an evening meal for a group if you order it in advance, and go to a lot of trouble for you. It's a comfortable walk to the middle of town where there are plenty of bars/restaurants/cafes and tour companies, so a great base for a visit. Our room was very comfortable and spacious with a view over a little patio. Some of the rooms facing the street might get traffic noise, but ours was shielded from the outside by the reception area and patio. We didn't notice a lot of street noise around the Posada, though closer into town there was noise from the (student?) clubs. OK for the young but we aren't, so we retreated to the garden and the wind-chimes hanging there to soothe our souls. Can't praise the place highly enough and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard- or garden-facing room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lizzie_Dripping_42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merida
Mon Cricket Hotel
#23 of 31 in Merida
Hotel Paramo La Culata
Hotel Paramo La Culata
#5 of 56 in Merida

Been to Posada Casa Sol? Share your experiences!