“Extremely disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Porlamar
São Paulo
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I went to this hotel for a 1 week trip during new-year's vacation.
Everything was extremely disappointing:
- Overbooking - hotel was overbooked so we lost all day (January 1st) fighting for an awful room
- cleanliness - found spiders, cockroaches
- staff - unfriendly, unwilling to help
- maintenance - from showers to taps and air-conditioners - everything seemed to be one hundred years old
- No clean towels in room - had to fight with staff for a whole day for 2 towels

There was no phone line on rooms, and even in reception! I needed to do an international cell phone call everytime I needed a taxi.

I don't recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a relaxing trip to the beautiful island of Margarita.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peterson P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 28 September 2010

This is a 3 star hotel, minus the 2 stars. We arrived early evening after a 4hr delay at Caracas. The Hotel grounds are spacious but VERY dirty!! The 1st room was right next to a huge fan that was VERY noisy. I asked to be moved as our A/C did not work , the fan didn't work and there was no way we could sleep. The next room was better, but no towels, toilet seat broken. Nevermind we mentioned it to the receptionist who took a note but we never got towels until the next day when I went to the laundry myself and took some. We told the maid about the towels and the fact that our hot water tap was broken. Nothing happened, nothing not a single effort was made to fix anything. Personally, the Hotel is too big and the staff have no idea how to run this place properely. Do not waste your time, stay elsewhere!! The place was filthy, plastic cups everywhere from the previous night show. They didn't clean up till breakfast time. The grounds were sticky, the dining area filthy!! I don't think that they ever mop!! Disgusting. It was a disappointment but we loved Margaritas and Coche island!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James149

Travellers are raving about these Porlamar hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

The overall experience on the island, outside of the hotel was great. The hotel needs a lot to be done. The rooms, in village one, are very spacious. However, the showers do not work very well and the room service is very poor. The location is not bad, apart from the fact that is located next to waste land. The food is very, very poor. It's the same menu nearly every day. Most of the staff is, nevertheless, very friendly but other's cannot be trusted and this can be said from personal experience as my camera got stolen. The hotel did not do much to resolve this problem and did not handle this situation very well. The swimming pool is also extremely dirty - a week after my stay and I still have a severe ear infection from it! I highly discourage staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AlejaValencia
Blankenberge, Belgium
Reviewed 26 April 2010

it's a good hotel, if you want a cheaper arrangement, not expencive, and i liked the food and not crowdy hotel...
excellent to have some chill out time

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Sven D
South Carolina
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We picked this resort due to an inflexible travel schedule and the lack of availibility at preferred resorts. We knew this would be an older property. However, upon arrival, we were shocked at the filthiness of our villa! Half hearted attempts by management were made by replacing an AC and microwave, but the room was not clean and looked like it had been that way for years! Four out of 7 days we had restricted water usage, both in the morning and in the evening. Many amenitities were either closed or not fully functioning. We felt like we had to get up early and leave to escape the deplorable conditions and returned as late as possible to the resort to avoid depression. The only positive thing I can say, is the location was good, based on the closeness of restaurants and shopping. I could go into very detailed description on our room condition, but I do not want to relive this experience. Totally disappointed that we invited a family member to join us and very embarrassed that they had to experience this as well.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I traveled with friends to Margarita, Island from Valencia, Venezuela. I have to be honest...Margarita was a disappointment. The room was dank and dreary. We used the small stove topand we were unable to turn it off. I called maintenance and they were very blase. After hanging up I had no idea if anyone was coming or not. I went to the front desk and someone came. The dials were all messed up so there was really no way to tell if the burners were off or on.
I guess it's how you look at it. If you have intentions of never being on the property and travelling about the island I guess it would be tolerable. To be honest after the hype I was fed about this island I left quite unsatisfied. After returning to Valencia my guests (Venezuelans) took me to Toucacas via Puerto Cabello. THe trip from Valencia was about 1.5 hours versus the 8 to Puerto LaCruz to catch the 3 hour ferry to Margarita. We rented a boat and went out past the mangroves to Caya Sombrero and then to Los Pescadores (uninhabited islands) where you in effect pick your choice and tell the boat taxi when to retrieve you. IT WAS GLORIOUS!!! Words could not do the scenery proper justice. I have travelled to Bali, Phuket, DRep., and yes Cancun...I have never seen a more pristine or beautiful place. You were essentially on a deserted island. The water breaks far into the distance so this steady roll of water streams by you in about 2 feet of water. Of course, the water gets deeper but the depth of about 2 feet stretches on and on. Safe for children and I just cannot fathom why Venezuela hasn't developed this place. I was told the government doesn't care about tourism only oil.
I had never read about this place any any travelogues or articles...and maybe that's good. It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. We ate at a restaurant called "EL Timon" in Toucacas the paella can be ordered by the number of guests you have. the service was impeccable. Try the "crema de leche" it's a soft spread for butter that is divine.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank drewmelton
Trinidad & Tobago
Reviewed 30 March 2008

Stayed there between March 20th and 24th in the village part of the hotel

Rooms were tiny and not very clean. There were thick layers of dust on the air conditioning unit. The bed sheets were very old and had holes in them.
The “room service” came to “clean” the rooms but hardly ever remembered to bring any new towels. We would always have to go to the front desk (reception) and ask for towels which they sometimes never brought.
There was also no microwave or kettle for warming water for thoes who need to make tea / coffee or for thoes who need to hot water/milk to make cereal for their toddlers or small kids. The hot water in the shower was also unreliable
There was a huge cockroach in our room one night so we had to move to another room that had a door that was rotting and a broken door handle.

Food was ok but they basically served almost the same thing for lunch and dinner every single day: soup, rice, pasta, meat, potatoes and fish. There was also a very limited menu for vegetarians.

Service - Some of the staff were very friendly and others were unfriendly.

Entertainment was ok at nights and all the bartenders were very efficient and friendly but all types of drinks were not available.

Pool facilities: Nice pools but no towels were available.

The hotel itself out-doors was ok and had potential (not the rooms) . If the rooms were renovated and cleaned regularly I guess it would not have been so bad...

Regards,
Shivana
Trinidad

• Liked — The Bar, and meeting tourists from all over the world
  • Disliked — THE ROOM
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Shivana69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porlamar
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#16 of 91 in Margarita Island

Been to Margarita Village? Share your experiences!