“The best place to be in Los Roques and the very best staff in the island”
Review of Posada La Cigala

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla El Gran Roque
Posada La Cigala
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Me, my wife and a friend couple have come back from Los Roques recently and we had a wonderful time in La Cigala. The Posada and its acommodation are perfect and the staff is definitely a plus. Alejandro and Joel make us felling like home since we arrived and Ronie and Andrelina cooking performance are amazing.I strongly recommend this place for those who are intended to visit the archipelago.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leonardo B

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Me and my mom decided to stay at La Cigala after reading on Trip Advisor, and La Cigala turned out to be a wonderful posada that really lived up to expectations. Charming posada that had good food, extremely good service and everything was nice and clean. The staff was incredibly helpful and did everything the best they could for us to have a memorable stay at Los Roques. Each day, we got tips on which islands we could visit tailored to what we what we wanted each day. Thanks to them we had a truly memorable and fantastic holiday and we got to see the best that Los Roques had to offer.

La Cigala is also a place where you feel extremely welcome and you get a lot for your money. The place is highly recommended and I will certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our stay at La Cigala was wonderful. The islands of Los Roques are some of the most beautiful that we had seen, and we really appreciated the laid back vibe of Gran Roque in general and La Cigala in particular. There are a lot of posadas there to choose from, but we were very happy with our choice. Here are what we consider the strong points of La Cigala:

1. The personal service. We were met at the airport by Joel, who helped us with our bags back to the posada. There are no vehicles on the island, so he used a dolly/handtruck to bring our suitcases. Joel was fantastic throughout our stay -- always upbeat and helpful. Our 8 year old son bonded with him and we appreciated the fact that he was always there when we needed something or had a question. Alejandro is the manager there, and he was very effective in listening to our preferences and helping us plan the next day of beachgoing. He was very laid back and made sure that we had everything we needed. The chef and his staff cooked up wonderful meals and were quite personable as well. We felt like we were guests at a private house with how friendly everyone was.

2. The food. As you can read in other reviews, the menu is mostly fish. However, when I told the staff that my son and I did not eat a lot of fish, they were very accomodating in making other entrees for us. They made a wonderful pasta with sauce one night for my son, and another night even made him homemade chicken nuggets. They truly bent over backwards making sure that we were happy. On a couple of days, we saw a fisherman bring in fresh fish for that night's meal. Even though I don't really like fish, I tried the red snapper and the barracuda and can honestly say that I enjoyed it. Breakfast was nice - every day they had pancakes, toast, mini arepas, fruit, cereal, ham & cheese, coffee and juice. They even made fresh scrambled or fried eggs to order. The lunch boxes that they made were fantastic too, with a nice mix of sandwiches/wraps, fruit and even a few cookies. They will also stock whatever other beer, soda or other beverages that you want.

3. Quality of beach equipment. This may seem petty, but La Cigala has great beach chairs and umbrellas that they deploy for you when you go to the nearby beaches. One day that we went to one of the farther away beaches we experienced the standard green plastic patio chairs that most posadas/boat captains use and we really missed the metal folding chairs (as depicted in some of the pictures that others have posted) that La Cigala has.

Ok, and the not so good/areas for improvement:

1. My wife would have liked a few toiletries. They provided soap but no shampoo. I kind of expected this, going to a rustic island, but my wife thought that a couple of hotel sized shampoos would have been nice.

2. The noise at night. As other reviewers noted, Gran Roque is a place where people come to have fun and party. That much you have to expect, and it is part of the gig. The posadas and bars are all clumped closely together on Gran Roque, and there is no avoiding hearing noise and music, especially on a weekend night. However, apparently there is a private residence right next door to the posada, and they must of had a party two of the four nights that we were there. The magnitude of the music noise is hard to depict in a written review, but the music was so loud that the walls shook. I remember back to my college days and probably would have killed or died to have the kind of stereo that these guys have, but even if I did I would not have gotten away with playing music that loud for long. I would encourage the owners of La Cigala to reach out to these neighbors (or whatever authorities there are on the island) to at least set a noise level and time limit to the noise. Long after the bar across the street was compelled to silence (at 1AM), this ambitious party DJ kept the techno beats going.

I am still giving La Cigala five stars, though, because despite these two concerns our stay was quite magical. We are already thinking about our next trip to Los Roques and La Cigala!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mugro
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Very nice staff and place to stay. We easily felt like home. No pressure and honest staff. Rooms are clean and simple. Food is very good and was above all my expectations for this type of hotel!
I would easily recommend this posada althought I'm temped to keep the secret for me. Hope Los Roques and la posada la Cigala will stay like they are today. Less is more! (If you wan t to make reservations please do so by mail, not by phone). Congratulations to the whole team!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 February 2013

At the beginning I was quite impressed with their websites, pictures, amenities and rating... I guess they are so good that they don't need to reply your inquiries about rates, information and reservation. I called multiple times with no response, I sent multiple emails, with no response. Finally I got a hold of someone and he said to call him back in 30 mins and when I called back they never picked up again, left message, NO RESPONSE! AGAIN! Finally I still gave them a chance and called again, they picked up and the lady WAS ABSOLUTELY RUDE! Instead of apologizing for their lack of professionalism she was defensive and rude! There you go, made my choice easy. DEFINITIVELY blew it and I havent even been there yet. THIS PLACE IS OFF MY LIST!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Manelly C
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We have been back for two weeks since we visited La Cigala in Los Roques. I left the islands with a tear in my eye, the past three weeks had been magical, unforgettable.
We booked La Cigala for a week based on the reviews on trip adviser. When we arrived we were warmly welcomed by Alejandro. The first meal determined the rest of our stay... Carpaccio of tuna, arrabiata tomato pasta, seared tuna followed by lemon meringue pie. Food was relaxed, well presented & tasted fantastic. The day trips to various islands are your choice & wow, you have a lot to choose from. The rooms are comfortable, clean & exactly what you would expect for this Island. During our visit we had the privilege of meeting Joel, Pecolina & Alejandro, I have to say they made our holiday. The staff were fantastic & made everything possible. If you are traveling to Los Roques this is the only place to stay.. O.k it's not the Ritz for standards but the Staff make this place worth every penny...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Just got back from our Christmas & New Years Eve trip to Los Roques, and I couldn't wait to post this evaluation on trip advisor so that others could also experience this great place as we did.

La Cigala is a great place, full of stories, and with a great staff that will make your experience even more pleasant. Food - apart from a diet based on 100% fish menus - is really really great, we were so amused by the presentation that I took several photos of our menu almost everyday.

The posada is really close to the airport, less than 5 minutes walking from the runway itself. Don't worry with the noise, despite being that close, most planes get to the island on a schedule that will not match your sleeping time, since planes only land with during daylight period. The noise you should worry about is the one coming from the city plaza during celebrations - like christmas and new years eve, city's celebrations can get as far at 3 am, and if you are not looking for some local fiestas it might bother you a bit. But this is for all the posadas, not only La Cigala.

La Cigala's staff also makes all the difference with other posadas. Alejandro, the manager, Joel, his right wing, and the chef (forgot his name) and Nina, his sous-chef, will make your stay very pleasant. They will take care of all things from your daily lunch boxes with customized itens to meet your preferences, to arranging the posada boat trips, scuba diving and so on.

Liana - the owner - will help you with plane tickets - really recommend using AeroTuy, since their places are bigger and feel safer, and she can arrange the accommodation in Caracas for the night between flights for you. Others might have better fares and different flight schedules that fit your needs better, but the planes are much smaller. Not much to do in Caracas, so I recommend getting a bed n breakfast close to the airport anyway.

Be aware of the dollar / bolivares fuertes exchange rate. Get informed about the cambio negro fares so you can negotiate better, and absolutely do not exchange more than 200 dolars in local currency. You will be able to exchange more in Los Roques itself if need.

We stayed in the archipelago 10 days in total, but even for short trips I strongly recommend getting a scuba diving certificate before getting there, and looking for Walter's diving school in the city plaza, he has the best service and more than 2000 dives in the region. Be sure to ask him to take you to Boca de Cote, the best diving place in the region.

Room Tip: We booked our room in advance - we were really eager to know los roques - and therefore got us a gre...