“The Devil is in the details...”

Pestana Caracas Premium City & Conference Hotel
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Disappointing hotel overall, particularly for the business traveler. See Pros/Cons below.

PROS

- Friendly staff;

- Rooms appear nice at first glance, with nice floors and a contemporary look (but see cons);

- Free wi-fi internet in the lobby/common areas, and free cabled internet in the room, and both connections are fast;

- Firm bed;

- Good buffet;

----

CONS

- Though the rooms appear nice at first, when you look closely, you find that there are elements of the rooms that are getting run down, like the drawers in the desk, the sides of the desk, etc.;

- Inadequate lighting in rooms; once the sun went down, I couldn't get my work done without straining my eyes. When I went to bed, it was difficult to read because of inadequate bedside lighting;

- No wi-fi in the rooms -- very inconvenient for those who use tablets and/or cell phones;

- Not enough attention to detail in terms of cleanliness: I kept finding spots on surfaces in the room and bathroom, there was hair on my toilet when I first arrived, and the first two times I ate in the restaurant I noticed that my napkin had spots and stains on it;

- Use of a glass door instead of a shower curtain made entering and exiting the bathtub complicated (fine if you're showering, but a little less easy when taking a bath);

- Toilet had problems filling the tank with water, and the staff was unresponsive to deal with the problem. After two phone calls and two hours of waiting, a housekeeping staff person randomly showed up at my room to deal with something else and she showed me how to fix the problem (opening the tank and pushing down one of the pieces); happy to have been given that information because the problem presented itself again during my stay;

- Inattentive staff; when I finished eating at the buffet, they gave me a bill without an amount on it, and then I couldn't get anyone's attention to find out what the price was, so I ended up having to sign it and leave (here's hoping that it won't cost me a fortune).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nadia R

Reviewed 2 September 2012

If you need to stay in Caracas, you will hardly find any hotels under $250 a night given the current exchange rate. I am from Venezuela and honestly you will never feel your nightly rate is worth whatever it is you are paying form especially when you compare it with a US hotel that charges, more or less, the same price you might be paying in Caracas. Some hotels in Venezuela´s capital city are beautiful and may have luxury accomodations (Melia Caracas for example) but are in dangerous neighborhoods where you can be robbed in plain daylight. High crime rates are something any forigner should be aware of when visiting Caracas and this sometimes goes to nice neighborhoods like Las Mercedes and Altamira, where you will find top noch restaurants but you always need to know your way around, and in these areas you will find hotels that are nice (Eurobuilding Hotel - my personal favorite as far as value/service goes- and Tamanaco Intercontinental).
But let´s talk about the Pestana. I´ve stayed here a couple of times and found food was wonderful and service was friendly, although check out was very slow (coincidentally, I´ve had to check out when only one person was in the front desk and with maybe 4 people ahead of me, check out was over half an hour). Rooms are just ok, and beds in my opinion are too stiff. It is in a residential neighborhood which is nice because it is very quiet (traffic during peak hours and honking is a big deal in Venezuela), and you will need a cab to get to most shopping centers and important business areas. The best thing about the hotel may be its pool and bar, located on the roof, and even if you find your room is not worth what you´ve paid for, I would recommend having maybe a nightcap here and you will enjoy the majesty of the Avila, the beautiful mountain that separates the valley that Caracas really is, from La Guaira and the Caribbean Sea.
In summary, don´t expect the same star-ratings as you may find in the US...you may consider this hotel to be a 3 star by US standards..but it is a quiet choice with wonderful views and great food.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I should have listen to fellow reviewers and never stay at this terrible place. Let me start with positives. Location is quite convenient and from exterior it looks like a nice hotel. Always several staff looking at you and greeting. That's how far positive goes. Inefficient and long check-in. Be aware this hotel is using unfortunately more and more popular routine to charge entire amount at check-in and then charge it once again at check-out. It takes several days however to release the initial pre-authorisation, so you may end up with cash flow problems. Rooms are very basic, looks like American motels or Europe B&B from 70's. Definitely not 5 star, hardly 2 if any at all. A/C does not work. Bathrooms are very basic and during the whole 5 days stay I had problems every day to get the amenities refiled. Bed is hard as floor and similar with pillows. Three is a gym on the 17th floor but dont expect much, very basic and only 2 treadmills, so you may end up waiting for long time. I got excited about roof swimming pool on 18th floor, but that unfortunately is open from 9 till 5am which makes it impossible to use for business traveller. After some discussions with hotel responsible I was just told that it will not change, as the 18th floor is also home for a roof bar with hookers and that is more important for hotel management then some pool. Well I guess everyone has it's priorities. Breakfast is Ok'ish, but annoying is the fact that they take away your plates before you are able to finish. We been waiting some 10min for coffee refil one day and finally gave up. Checkout was long and painful, similar experience as some of my fellow travellers here. Overall not worth the money and not recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing backyard as streets gets very noisy night time and higher floor if you want to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lilind
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Hotels in Caracas have become overpriced and lacking good service, but this place was awful and expensive. The rugs in the rooms dirty, walls dirty, smelly hallways. We booked 2 rooms. In one of them the AC did work well. We complained to the front desk and just got the runaround, I was never able to talk to a manager. They sent water and desserts to our room to try to appease us. However, the quality and service of this hotel does not meet the 4 star hotel rating they claim.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank karlswede
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I recently spent 3 nights at the Pestana Hotel in Caracas. The hotel is well located and on a relatively safe area in Caracas. The lobby and the 18th floor Bar are the highlights of this hotel. The rooms have a good size, but they are dirty, the hallway has plastered walls with no paints and dirty carpets. The Shower was clogged and dirty. The A/C did not work properly (I did reported to the front desk without any luck). The Desk chair in the room has unidentified stains, the walls on the room had black stains probably from suitcases. The hotel charges $245 dollars a night (Corporative Rate???). There has to be better options in Caracas for this price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank elector
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Food is the best and the best spot is the roof bar..enjoy the cold wine and the quality of attention. Close to malls and the park

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My stay at the Pestana can basically be summarized into one word: "meh". First the good part: the hotel is well located and the neighbourhood is more or less safe. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and I have no complaints about them. The hotel itself though is a bit of a let down: my room looked like it desperately needed a paint job and the bathroom fixtures seemed to be the originals from 1974. At one point I needed a clothes iron and found none in my room: I called 3 times over the span of an hour and was promised that one was "on the way" until they finally admitted that they were having trouble locating one. The gym didn't really leave much to be desired although the roof-top pool was nice. In the need I found it hard to justify the value when I've stayed in Hiltons and Marriots and the like that are far nicer. If I were you I'd continue to look elsewhere for better value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank EcuaMatt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caracas
El Recreo
El Rosal
JW Marriott Hotel Caracas
Chacao
Renaissance Caracas La Castellana Hotel

Been to Pestana Caracas Premium City & Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!