“Very good considering its Caracas”

Pestana Caracas Premium City & Conference Hotel
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed 24 February 2013

The pros of this hotel are the location, close to subway for those like me daring to ride it sometimes to the office, good restaurants nearby (Blue Sushi being my favorite), the property is fairly new so the fixtures and flat screen tv won’t make you feel like you are back in the 50’s like other hotels I have stayed in this town, there is a sign at the lobby that claims it opened in 2008 and it seems about accurate. The TV has a very broad channels selection too and I have enjoyed the fact that the bathroom had a window to the room area that made it possible to watch tv and even have natural sunlight in the bathroom and tub.
The cons would be the lack of WiFi in the rooms, it is only available in the pool and gym (rooftop) and lobby (ground level). Another incident was when on Sunday Feb-17 at around 3PM my wife called me in the room and when later I had to call the front desk too and it always took a very long time before someone would pick up the phone up. In one occasion I counted being on hold for 45 minutes and gave up before someone picked up, it amazes me that in many hotels in South America, this one included, they have 3 to 4 guys standing in the check in area, ready to grab your luggage, in my case a very light carryon and a backpack, and stroll it to your room and they make a very strong point in carrying it which is in my opinion absolutely unnecessary, and at the same property, at the same time, there is no one capable of picking up a phone call. I guess answering phones do not bring tips along. The pool area is very small, therefore the place was slammed. And by slammed, I don't mean "really full", I mean it is so crowded that you have to stand still in the water under risk of hitting someone if you do any movements, no space to lay down or take a sunbath too. I don’t recommend the supermarket across the street from the hotel, it will take you 45min no matter how small or simple you purchase is, the “fast lanes” do not help either.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms give you a better view of "El Avila" mountain and you can grab the pool...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank andytravelerrr

Reviewed 31 January 2013

Stayed here 7 nights and this is what I have to say positive about it: Hotel staff fairly friendly and helpful - which is saying a lot considering this is Caracas we are talking about here. The roof pool/bar/view are nice. it's in a decent neighborhood. That's about it.

This hotel is struggling to get to an 'average' rating. My room was old, worn out, and not cleaned well. There was mold in the shower. My first day, person in room next to me left room service plate in hallway and when it was picked up several french fries fell off and were on the floor in hallway. It took 4 days - yes, 4 days - for any of the cleaning staff to pick them up.

The sofa chairs in the lobby area are stained.

The internet in the room sucks.

The breakfast is quantity over quality (in my opinion) - but it did appear a lot of other guests were enjoying it, so maybe it was just me.

What else can I say? Pretty average place at best. Sort of sums of Caracas itself.

(Next time I will stay at the Marriott, where I stayed before. It too is overpriced, but at least Marriott conforms to international standards and norms on hotel cleanliness).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sampa01425
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I am frequent traveler to Caracas. So far this is my second choice for all the place I had been. Not all rated at TA.
The Hotel is nice located on a site street. Supermarket in front and restaurants in walking distance. Staff friendly to distant ( a Mix you find more often after the government influence in education and their behavior towards foreigners (U.S. and NON U.S. – all called capitalists -sorry!)
Nice service and good restaurant. Rooms are cozy appointed and cared for - You sense the European Franchise affiliation!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LeoPty
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Moved to Caracas and found this hotel in the nicest part of town (Chacao).
The hotel's location couldn´t be more central. There is the best park for running (Parque del Este o "Miranda"), there is the metro for those daring enough (myself included) and the restaurants in the area along with the only supermarket in the area right in front of the hotel.

Inside the building you find a hip and intimate environment with great local food and affordable prices for rooms, drinks and meals (the USD exchange rate helps...).

Have not checked the gym out but the 18th floor pool and the bar there are unbeliable in the view it provides and the mood it sets. Good service too.

The noises we hear, believe it or not, are not from trucks or the street (windows are big time anti noise) but from wild macaws that are probably from the Avila mountain reserve flying down for easy snacks. Kinda surreal.

Room Tip: Both facing and not facing the street are pretty good. The ones in the back probably better choices...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rodrigo O
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and the overall experience was very good. The location is good with good restaurants and bakeries within walking distance. Traffic can be heavy around the property, but then again, that is a problem almost anywhere in Caracas.
The staff is nice and helpful.
Buffet-style breakfast was included in the rate and it was very good both in variety and quality, specially the fruit. The restaurant is also worth mentioning, we had dinner and room service and the food was great, pricey but great.
There are a couple of things they could improve. One of them is that they might want to pay more attention to maintenance details in the rooms. For example the fixings in our shower were rusty and loose. Also, the bathroom door's paint was peeling off at the bottom.
The lighting in the room is very poor, even with all the lamps on.
Prices are just about the same as other hotels in the same category, but being a contemporary hotel, it feels like a good deal.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Disappointing hotel overall, particularly for the business traveler. See Pros/Cons below.

PROS

- Friendly staff;

- Rooms appear nice at first glance, with nice floors and a contemporary look (but see cons);

- Free wi-fi internet in the lobby/common areas, and free cabled internet in the room, and both connections are fast;

- Firm bed;

- Good buffet;

----

CONS

- Though the rooms appear nice at first, when you look closely, you find that there are elements of the rooms that are getting run down, like the drawers in the desk, the sides of the desk, etc.;

- Inadequate lighting in rooms; once the sun went down, I couldn't get my work done without straining my eyes. When I went to bed, it was difficult to read because of inadequate bedside lighting;

- No wi-fi in the rooms -- very inconvenient for those who use tablets and/or cell phones;

- Not enough attention to detail in terms of cleanliness: I kept finding spots on surfaces in the room and bathroom, there was hair on my toilet when I first arrived, and the first two times I ate in the restaurant I noticed that my napkin had spots and stains on it;

- Use of a glass door instead of a shower curtain made entering and exiting the bathtub complicated (fine if you're showering, but a little less easy when taking a bath);

- Toilet had problems filling the tank with water, and the staff was unresponsive to deal with the problem. After two phone calls and two hours of waiting, a housekeeping staff person randomly showed up at my room to deal with something else and she showed me how to fix the problem (opening the tank and pushing down one of the pieces); happy to have been given that information because the problem presented itself again during my stay;

- Inattentive staff; when I finished eating at the buffet, they gave me a bill without an amount on it, and then I couldn't get anyone's attention to find out what the price was, so I ended up having to sign it and leave (here's hoping that it won't cost me a fortune).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nadia R
Reviewed 2 September 2012

If you need to stay in Caracas, you will hardly find any hotels under $250 a night given the current exchange rate. I am from Venezuela and honestly you will never feel your nightly rate is worth whatever it is you are paying form especially when you compare it with a US hotel that charges, more or less, the same price you might be paying in Caracas. Some hotels in Venezuela´s capital city are beautiful and may have luxury accomodations (Melia Caracas for example) but are in dangerous neighborhoods where you can be robbed in plain daylight. High crime rates are something any forigner should be aware of when visiting Caracas and this sometimes goes to nice neighborhoods like Las Mercedes and Altamira, where you will find top noch restaurants but you always need to know your way around, and in these areas you will find hotels that are nice (Eurobuilding Hotel - my personal favorite as far as value/service goes- and Tamanaco Intercontinental).
But let´s talk about the Pestana. I´ve stayed here a couple of times and found food was wonderful and service was friendly, although check out was very slow (coincidentally, I´ve had to check out when only one person was in the front desk and with maybe 4 people ahead of me, check out was over half an hour). Rooms are just ok, and beds in my opinion are too stiff. It is in a residential neighborhood which is nice because it is very quiet (traffic during peak hours and honking is a big deal in Venezuela), and you will need a cab to get to most shopping centers and important business areas. The best thing about the hotel may be its pool and bar, located on the roof, and even if you find your room is not worth what you´ve paid for, I would recommend having maybe a nightcap here and you will enjoy the majesty of the Avila, the beautiful mountain that separates the valley that Caracas really is, from La Guaira and the Caribbean Sea.
In summary, don´t expect the same star-ratings as you may find in the US...you may consider this hotel to be a 3 star by US standards..but it is a quiet choice with wonderful views and great food.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business