“Good, but less than expected”
Review of The Hotel Caracas

The Hotel Caracas
Ranked #64 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The description set the stakes high, so we were very excited to have a room with glas framed bathroom and a whirlpool!!!! ;-)
The room looked almost as promised.
The drawback: the cleanliness! We didn't use the whirlpool because of that!
The hygiene in general was not adequate for the room rate!
The other amenities were OK, but nothing more! The staff is friendly. The reception area is nice.

Because of the hygiene, in respect to the room rate this hotel is below average.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Our stay was such a lovely surprise. We had a standard room and the receptionist gave us an upgrade because of my birthday, isn that nice? it had a lovely sunroom which gave the spaciousness of an apartment. The restaurant is like a garden, and the staff was charming and helpful all the time. Every day we were surprised with something in the room to accommodate our needs. Very well located in a important area of Caracas. 250 meter walk to the mall. Definitely we would stay here again next time is perfect and nice.

Room Tip: Lovely rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice and confortable hotel. Good and polite attention and excellent location if you are going to stay around Chuao, the Rosal and Chacao area. Not suitable for families. Recommended for couples or for people on business trips and looking for confort.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Caracas is a crazy expensive city for hotels. Relatively the Hotel Caracas is a good value. It has a very nice asthetic, contemporary style. The bed was very comfortable. The bathrooms were nice and modern. The neighborhood was very safe. This hotel is a block away from the swanky and crazy expensive JW Marriott. I was able to walk around after dark, no problem. Also, the staff was very nice.

Only two knocks:

1) The TV's are small and seem to be like computer monitors rather than TV's. They are sort of hidden in a cabinet so they are only visible from the bed area.
2) The shower is completely made of glass and anyone else in the room would get quite a show while you take a shower. I was traveling alone so no problem but it would have been a not so great experience otherwise.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT TIP: For anyone traveling to Venezuela: Bring a fat stack of $USD because if you don't you must live with the "official" exchange rate of 6-1. The "black market" exchange rate is 35-1 and all of the prices are set up for the "black market" exchange rate. In other words, everything you buy is priced as if the exchange rate is at 35-1 but if you only have your credit card to pay with or your ATM card to take Bolivares out of your bank, you are screwed. Everything costs 5 times what it should cost. Brutal. Fortunately I was there less than 24 hours but next time I will know.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TitanShane
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I've stayed for three nights and I had a great experience, The Hotel is the best place to stay if you are travelling for business or tourism, well located, rooms very modern and comfortable, the breakfast is delicious and the staff is very kind and friendly, always open to help the tourists. I really recommend this hotel if you plan to stay in Caracas.
I only suggest not to pay online, pay in bolivares directly in the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ElyR27
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I paid $188 online from the US for my first night. The second night I paid the 2000 bolivares 'non-online' rate. Call it $100 as long as you've spent at least a modicum of effort trying to figure out how to change money. For that you get a room that's comfortable if very, very oddly laid out (bathroom and bedroom are not separated). The wifi for me (I think I was on one of the mezzanine levels) wasn't great; wouldn't hold a Skype connection.

The room was small but manageable. Considering that $40 in Caracas gets you a room about the same size that would make old-time army barracks look luxurious, the price for this one (booked in person) seemed reasonable. My A/C was fine. My only service request was to keep my luggage there after checkout since I had a night bus. That was no problem.

For a vacation, it's good. It's not a good business hotel, but it's not really priced anything like them, so you shouldn't expect it to be, despite what one might hope based on being smack dab in the business district. The clientele when I was there definitely seemed to be more well-off Venezuelans in town for the club scene than international business travelers.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Great acomodations; wondweful people, specially at reception: special thnaks to Karen and to Karla Garcia (Concierge) for all the efforts made in order to tranforme my business trip in such a pleasent experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business