“Better than expected”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caracas
Posada Altamira Caceres
Ranked #49 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
europe
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

Booked this hotel for 5 nights through Hostelworld. Paid 55 USD per night, including taxes. Corresponded with the hotel via email before my arrival, and they responded quickly to every email. I was very anxious, cause I had read mixed reviews about this hotel. Caracas is very expensive, and the top ends costs about 250-300 USD ++ per night. I was very pleased to find this hotel in Altamira for only 55 USD per night.

The hotel was easy to find, and I paid the whole stay upon arrival. This was not an issue to me, as the guys at the front desk seemed trustable. One of the younger guys helped me with my luggage, and he didn't even expect a tip!

Our room were situated on the 2nd floor, it was very basic and tired, but it was clean and comfortable enough for 5 nights. It had a small wallmounted tv, with many channels of good picture quality. There was a small closet too. The bathroom was very small and basic, but it served it's purpose. Like the previous reviewers mentioned - the shower needs a little time to get warm. I would not have my honeymoon at this hotel, but it was much better than I expected. The most important things are warm water, cleaniness and a okey bed to sleep in. All of those things were working fine. The maids were very friendly and the front desk guys were okey. They weren't too insterested. But come on, can't expect Four Seasons service for 55 USD per night. If you want top notch service (per CCS standards) I would recommend Gran Melia or the JW Marriott. The hotel felt perfectly safe too, with a mixed crowd of Europeans and Venezuelans.

The location of the Hotel Altamira was also great, right there in the middle of Altamira, which is one of Caracas' safer neighbourhoods. One block from the Canadian Embassy and one block from Altamira Metro Station and 10 minute walking distance from Sambil Mall (which is Caracas' largest mall, and boasts some 500 different stores and restaurants). There was no on-site restaurant or roomservice. But there are several restaurants and bars and clubs nearby - serving both straight and gay audience.

I am rating this hotel as above average because it was a lot better than I feared, and I will certainly return to this hotel when returning to Caracas.

However, there is not a lot to do in Caracas - I have visited on several occasions, and I must say that Chavez isn't doing anything to improve the conditions there. Caracas is very dangerous, and you should take care wherever you go. Two guys on a MC tried to rob us near Plaza Bolivar. One of the guys grabbed my bag, but I refused and knocked him down and we escaped in a taxi. It was stupid of me, but it went all automatically. I have never encountered a single police officer in any of Caracas' tourist spots. I find it quite strange that Chavez isn't doing anything to increase the security in this dangerous city. All of my friends in Caracas tells me the same - the city is becoming more and more dangerous. Everyone must take care wherever and whenever they go. No place is safe! I have travelled to over 80 countries, and the only place I have felt unsafe is in Caracas. Even in Bogota in comparison I felt perfectly safe. There was a presence of police everywhere and security forces were plentiful, but in Caracas there is no security at all. The safest thing you could do in Caracas is to be with Venezuelan friends. They know the city, and know how to avoid dangers.

Another tip - people may say that it is dangerous to change money on the street. But I have done this many times. The official exchange spots gives you 2 bolivares per dollar. I was able to get 5 bolivares per dollar on the airport and on the street. Even Altamira Hotel would give you at least 4 bolivares per dollar, which is twice as much as the official cambios.

Third tip - take the short 5 minute walk to the domestic airport upon arrival. There you will find cheaper taxis. I paid 25 USD to get from the airport to the hotel. That's at least half the price!

Stayed February 2008
6 Thank ulo3

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

We stayed at Hotel Altamira for two days whilst on different stopovers in Caracas. The hotel is in a good location in one of the nicest districts and at 60 dollars a night for two wasn't too bad. The rooms are basic and the showers a bit temperamental but if you can get one with a balcony on the front there is some great people watching to be had!
On returning to the hotel however only 4 nights later the room rate had increased to 75 dollars which is much too high. The price for the taxi to the airport (organised by the hotel) had also increased.
The staff aren't particularly friendly and insist that you pay on arrival which doesn't add to the experience but all in all if you need a place for a quick stopover the hotel is ideally situated - really close to the Metro and perfectly adequate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank Smudge4
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

I realize Caracas is not a tourist destination for most Canadians. It is a fascinating city, with extreme wealth (due to oil) and poor. Like Mexico City, Caracas is surrounded by (smallish) mountains. The mountains hold millions of people living in "Ranchos" - essentially shanty towns. I believe these are the people Hugo Chavez wants to ensure have improved lives. The folks there are not visible in the City.

Hotel Altimira is beautifully situated in a business district with very nice restaurants in the vicinity, as well as being close to South America's largest shopping mall a few minutes away by taxi. Contrary to tourist books, I did not feel unsafe in this area. There is a wonderful "plaza" nearby where folks congregate and socialize.

Initially we were given a horrible room, paying 5 star rates for a two or one star room. Much as one would expect in a Cuba hotel of about 2 star. The "continental breakfast" was toast, jam, orange juice, coffee and a miserable and cynical wait staff. I wondered if they assumed we were American - we're Canadians - and this was why we had the rude service throughout? Overpriced and ugly room. However, after a few days in Margarita Island, we returned to the same hotel and were given a suite (same price) that was about 3 star.

A tip: when leaving Caracas, Air Canada flights were OVERBOOKED! We could not leave even though we'd booked months in advance! We waited hours in line at the airport - few Canadians, and Venezuelans with complicated documents needing close scrutiny it seemed. Families with children, the disabled and eldery had priority to get on the flight. Dont expect you will leave in the summer on the day you planned!!!!!! However, we were given a $400 Air Canada Voucher, each, an overnight all inclusive stay at the Melia Caracas Hotel - which was amazing. In hindsight, we wished we'd booked a 2 day stay in Caracas and simply got the freebies from Air Canada including the Melia - apparently the Caracas flights are constantly overbooked (it is en route to/from Trinidad to/from Toronto). That one day extra in Caracas at the Melia was splendour! A luxury hotel in a fascinating shopping district. One tourist we met intended to stay as long as he could by "volunteering" with Air Canada to stay behind. So far he got 2 free nights and $800 in vouchers - I'm curious how long he was able to do this!

Note: Caracas food relies largely on Italian type meals - pasta and pizza in local restaurants. As tourists, we were fascinated by the preoccupation with Hugo Chavez by the locals - they are so divided around his leadership. You will see Cuban-type slogans "viva la revolucion" in the City.

LorenaC - Toronto

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank LorenaC.

Travellers are raving about these Caracas hotels

seco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2006

I wish I had had the benefit of a review or two before going to Caracas, so for others that follow, here was our experience. The Hotel Altamira was in an area close to the Metro, a plus.

Otherwise, for the price, it's what most travelers might call substandard. While not actually dirty, it did seem clean either. There was hair on my pillow case, not sure if the maid dropped it or did not bother to change the pillowcase. The bathroom had no mirror, very aggravating, and our air conditioner did not work but it made a bunch of noise. They do not have rooms with double beds, just rooms with two twins, and very small rooms at that. The desk help was not too helpful, either. They answered questions but did not go out of their way to help much. The wake up call of course never came, which we really did not expect. This may be the best Caracas has to offer for mod. priced hotels, and it had great hot water and it was safe.

• Stayed June 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank kkt123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caracas
La Candelaria
Hotel Chacao & Suites
#11 of 86 in Caracas
Hotel Ole Caribe
#2 of 2 in Maiquetia

Been to Posada Altamira Caceres? Share your experiences!