“improvements”

Ranked #16 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Montreal
“improvements”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The hotel should have a proper business center, whereby business people can sit down, use compters, print documents, and in general avail themselves of solid communications as well as having a place to have meetings.
Additionaly, the rooms should have a more reliable wi-fi system, as well as providing a higher speed

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I spent 3 nights at the once sparkling InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas (April 2012). It still has a beautiful pool (reminiscent of the 50s) and open views. But rooms and common areas are appalling. It is a surprise that the InterContinental brand allows this property to be part of its chain. Old, dirty carpet, telephone with no cable, a coffee machine inside the wardrobe (sitting on the safe that didn't work properly), ancient, faded bedspread, lamp shade with holes, broken mirror, broken marble top, ancient mini-bar. The bathroom had corroded towel racks and all metal pieces were terribly worn. In addition to that, there were issues with the door, that wouldn't always close. Staff was nice, but not always prepared to help: wrong information about shopping malls opening hours, no information about airport taxes, no information about city tours, no city maps (it is not their fault in this case; the tourist information office says there are no maps of the city, probably because there are no tourists there). Review says that this neighborhood (Las Mercedes) is super hip, but it is in general in poor condition, I would rather have stayed in Altamira where there are trees and people in the streets (not only cars ). In Las Mercedes all sidewalks are in need of repair. The hotel was uper expensive. Charges outrageous US$ 3 for local phone calls. There were issues with the bill too, but they were promptly solved.

Room Tip: If you need to stay at this hotel, ask for a room with a pool view. The 3rd floor is renovated, but...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank H H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
H H,

Ben J
IHG Care

Travellers are raving about these Caracas hotels

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel property, build in 1960 yet super modern and well maintain. The 3 floor has excellent modern rooms. Unfortundley the level of noise in the rooms and in the hallways is extremely high.

The food quality is great!

Stayed March 2012
HotelTamanaco, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Thank you for your review.
We know about the noise problem on the rooms near the elevators at 3°floor, but the enginer is working in a solution for this.
We hope you can visit us soon again.

Wellington
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Tamanaco is a fairly standard Intercontinental Hotel. Nicely appointed and freindly staff.
However the lack of hot water was an issue at times which I think was caused by the power cuts that seemed to happen quite regularly while I was there.
The restaraunt was nice but the club lounge was average with the food running out quickly and it was very small as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
As you know, actually the country have so many situations than we try doesnt affect our guests, but some of this issues, unfortunally we cant control, but we are working hard for give to aout guests a nice experience in the visits.
The good news is that Venezuela is getting better this last years, so also our services and infrastructure, we were doing some jobs for offer more confort to our guests and always be positive for solvent the issues that we have.
We hope you can visit us soon and let us give to you the better experience in our country.
Eppstein, Germany
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed in this hotel for three nights recently while visiting Caracas. Be very careful at the airport because local taxi drivers will take you for a ride of your life, steal your money and drop you off someplace you don't want to be. Luckily, the company who was to pick me up finally put my name up on a sheet of paper or else I could have fallen victim to being robbed. Caracas is the kidnap capital of the world.
The check in at the hotel was okay and I was on the 9th floor, an executive room. Even though it was basically clean it was 'worn' and not worthy of five stars. The carpet needed cleaning. The decor was right out of 1970. The breakfast the first day was on the 8th floor for the executive rooms, it was fair. On the weekends it is closed and breakfast is downstairs, one star at most.
The staff was helpful but the check out was absolutely awful. We stood in line for over 30 minutes in a long line of people equally agitated. With only two check out workers at the desk at not time was there any attempt to get more help. The check out time is noon and there are dozens of people checking out at that time so the hotel not planning for that is inexcusable.
The best part of the hotel is the security. Caracas is a dangerous place but there is a gate guard plus security people at the front door and lobby. There is a shopping complex across the street but I would not recommend going solo. The street in front of the hotel according to my client is the 'kidnap area' so plan accordingly.
This is probably the best hotel for foreigners in Caracas but don't expect much other than the security.

Room Tip: The executive rooms on 8th and 9th floor are better than the others but don't expect luxury.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Randy B
Dear Mr. Barlow,
Thank you for your review.
As you know, our city have some security problems, as all the big cities of the world.
The good news are that the Mayor of our district reforced the security and police in our zone (Las Mercedes), but is good to have precautions.
The CC Paseo Las Mercedes (front the hotel) is a nice cultural center, you can find venezuelan art, alternative movies, theater and also, the best chocolate of the zone in Kakao store, and is a safe place near the hotel, also Las Mecedes and Tolon Fashion Mall.
At Las Mercedes you can enjoy of venezuelan traditional restaurants, stores and a nice walk at Afredo Sadel square, also some night clubs, and if you need the pick up service, our concierge will be happy to help you. At day isnt a problem, but we doesnt not recommend you to be walking on the streets on night time.
We are in a very nice zone for enjoy a little of the capital, and we hope you can see a little more next time, the idea is our international guests know some of our city and the concierge acan cordinate you all this for have a nice experience.
About the rooms, we are working on the renovation of all the hotel, the next time you visit us, ask for the 3°floor, we are sure you will like it a lote our new rooms.
About the check out, we know about this problem and we are coordinating more personal at the front desk specially in this hours of high rotations of our guests.
We hope you visit us again very soon!

caracas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Even though I have visited many times and lived in Caracas for a few years this was my first opportunity to stay at the Tamanaco. I read all the reviews before arrival and all the nightmares looked like coming true. The aircon noisy in first room, the bathroom dirty in second room, the roomrate increased with the third room, extra breakfasts on my bill, huge bar bills at the pool and enormous bill at the poolside cabana restaurant. I know it sounds like I had a bad time but in fact I really enjoyed my stay. The staff were very courteous and the bill mistakes fixed immediately. We were in a large wedding party and everybody had a good time. After inspecting all the other rooms they were all "nearly" OK. What is needed is to patiently check your room carefully when you arrive and if there is something you don't like then get moved to another room until you get one that meets your requirements. We ate at the hotel for the 4 nights and the food was good. So here are the top tips:
1. Negotiate good room rate WITH BUFFET BREAKFAST INCLUDED . We paid 800 Bs
2. Check your room carefully and move until you are happy
3. Check your bill and keep a note of what you are signing for
4. Try and avoid paying for 10 pizzas and drinks for 20 at the cabana. but really good pizzas though
5. take a stroll to the shops and load up with drinks and snacks
6. the roomsafes are useless so don't use them
7. If you don't know Caracas then take care after dark
8. On sunday take a taxi across to the Avila national park . trainers and shorts required. its a big climb . follow the crowds.
9. Be carefull drinking late at night as the gin and tonics can be very strong
10. Don't go out alone

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Firewall
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review, your comments and your understanding.
We are glad you had a good time, even with the disadvantages.
We are working for a better service and product for our guests, we recommend you the next time stay at 3°floor, you will love our new rooms.
About our city, the hotel is in a very nice location, its true that Caracas have some security problems, but in our dristict the security was reforced with more police, so you will be safe but we does not recommed you walk alone at night. If you want to know more of Caracas, you can ask our concierge and know some typical restaurants, some art, chocolate and more, also if you want to know the beach, our concierge can prepare a speciall pack for you! and we're sure you will enjoy it a lot.
We hope you can visit us soon.
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I went with my family 2 different weeks to this hotel. first I reserved a room for 3 and I got one for 2, so my family had to stay in a different place.

When I got in the room, the air conditioner was LOUSY, so I ask for another room. While I was waiting I found a bloody cotton in the floor. I got the second room, and when I was going to take a shower I found cockroaches in the tub, of course I called again and got another room.

The next day, my family arrived, and they got the room for 3. When they went to the bathroom there was a "surprise", VERY disgusting surprise in the toilet. We took a photo and went to the lobby with it, even the manager asked me to email it to him, and he was very kind and gave us 2 good rooms for the price of one on the 3rd floor (the renovated one), for 1 week.

We came two days later, again, and we got a room for 2. Because we where 3 and a baby, they bring an extra roller bed and the crib to the room. Of course, we didn´t have space to walk in the room, so we left the hotel. Was too much inconvenience to spend one more week n that horrible hotel.

When I checked my credit card they charged me twice, and not corporate rate.

I really don´t know how is an Intercontinental o a 5 star hotel, it´s awful, disgusting!!! the managers are very very kind, they give you solutions, at least what they can do, but if you can talk to them, because the staff in the lobby refused to call the manager.

Room Tip: 3rd floor and the renovated ones
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 959Traveler
HotelTamanaco, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear guest,
We are so sorry about all this troubles that you and your family had in our hotel.
You're totally right, this is not acceptable and I cant understand how can be possible all this things, but I can promise you, we will work hard for be better.
Thank you for your comments, this is very usefull for us.