“Smelly”

InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
“Smelly”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This hotel may have had its hey day a while back, but it isn't keeping up with what is really required for the star rating they are claiming and the price they are charging. The rooms are outdated and I had to change rooms as the first one I was assigned smelled really foul. It kind of has an eerie, empty feel to it. The location on the busy street made it a bit difficult to get around nearby restaurants and shopping by foot. Most staff were positive and helpful. The building just isn't all that welcoming. Free wifi was a positive!

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jessica C
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear "Jessica C"

Thank you for take a few minutes to let us know about your experience. I offer you a sincere apology and I take care to let the rest to the personal know about it. We are in process to refresh the areas in our Hotel to give to all of our guests the best experience.

Beatriz Vergara Pérez
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I'll give them 4 out of 5, since they have done a very good effort to improve since my last stay, where if available I would give them -10!
They were kind enough to provide me with a real upgrade, which essentially was in good conditions; but really if they are going to improve they need to do the whole improvement and not just part of it.

For a suite (nice upgrade) I think they are missing a couple of essential things:
1. Mirrors! they only have one mirror inside the bathroom, and is on top of the sink and for so, you can't see yourself completely... they have enough space to put more mirrors, even behind the doors.
2. Bathroom ceiling: it has a terrible look, seemed they had a nice idea to put these type of false ceiling glass, but none fits correctly, so all seems crooked and with cracks that let you see the insides.
3. A suite without drinking glasses? yes, well they only had the ones they put for the bathroom, so when you get a drink out of the mini bar there is nothing that you can use to serve it.

On the good part, the room was CLEAN, that one is for me the most important feature, all seemed to work correctly, and again the staff is very good, food is also very good and pricing is correct if compared to most of the Caracas.

Keep improving, the effort is notable!

Thank you.

Room Tip: This trip I was offered a suite, so if you can get a suite, do it since are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear "rertze"

Thank you so much for take a few minutes of your time to give us the review of your new experience with us. I really appreciate that yo recognize our effort to improve every day to give you the best service that you deserve.

In name of all the staff, I recognize that we need to continue the improvement, and we are really committed in do it. The project going little by little but with all the effort.

Thank you again for your sincere words.

Best regards,

Beatriz Vergara Pérez
Windermere, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

When looking at the reviews, I really didnt know what to expect, but once I arrived everything changed. I stayed on the 6th floor. The room was big, clean and didnt look old. The food quality was fantastic, tipical latin tasty food! The staff is very friendly and are always trying to help you. The only problem was that the front desk was always busy and could use some extra hands to help. Apart from that, my time at the hotel was good.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Daniel R
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Daniel R.

Thank you for share your experience. I am very glad to know that you enjoy the stay in our Hotel. Every day we work to improve in provide you the best service for that all of you feel like your home.

Thank you again for your review. Hope to see you soon back at our Hotel.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I recently went on a business trip to Caracas. For some unknown reason every single hotel was fully booked and the only choice I found was this one.

USD 350 per night at one of the worst rooms I have seen in my entire life. Even a small country side motel in Georgia beats this hotel in a second.

Guys from Intercontinental: Do you have any idea of what's going on in Caracas? It's shocking that you still have your brand affiliated to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Denise S
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Denise.

Thank you for take a few minutes to share your experience in our Hotel. I offer you a sincere apology for can not offer you the service that you deserves. We recognize that, actually, we have some problems but I guarantee you that we are working hard to improve every day. We hope to see you soon back to let us show you that.

Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas

Travellers are raving about these Caracas hotels

Minneapolis
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The old glory of the past is what it is. I wonder if the administrators of this hotel have any idea what customer service is all about. The hotel boasts a five stars rating and it charges you about $352-$50 for such an honor. I stayed in the Hotel from May 27 to 31 and I had better experience at hotel rates at three stars. The front desk is oblivious to complains. For instance, upon objecting to the filth carpet, moldy room odor and chair with a disgusting grime, the front desk representative just excused his inability of providing an alternative room by boasting that the only room available was a downgrade from the one I was assigned. Food is overprice and mediocre. On the other hand, the bar at pool area has a magnificent view of the Avila Mountain. Although the hotel had a wonderful past, the current infrastructure is tired, old and lack comfort. Spending more than $350 for a room is just wasting money unless you have a load of it. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at al cost
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Adelmo M
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Good afternoon Mr. Adelmo.
At first, I would like to thank you to take a minutes of your time to tell us about your experience, and I ofer you a sincerely apology for the inconvinient at our Hotel, and I guarantee that your comments will be take in care to improve every they for all of you.

I hope to give us a new chance to probe that.

Regards,

Guest Relationship Manager
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental
Edinburgh, UK
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I can see how this hotel divides opinions! There is a lot not to like!
- we tried to check in at 1 and were very bluntly told "check in is at 3", didn't even check to see if any rooms were available
- food varied between poor and good but was never better than good
- room was tired
- some or the running repairs were unbelievably amateurish
- wifi was s-l-o-w

On the plus side we were upgraded to the "executive" floor where breakfast was good and free soft drinks and snacks between 6 and 8 each night.

Overall though, what I really liked was the shabby charm of the place. Sitting beside the vary large pool with the noise of the city below and looking up at the hotel I felt like it could have been 1959 and I could have been one of the lucky few who could afford such luxury!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear (willgo79).

Thank you for take a few minutes of your time to send your review about your stay in our Hotel. We appreciate all the comments that our guest do because this is the best way to improve and that we can bring you a better quality of service.

We hope to see you soon in our Hotel to show you the improves in the details, like the check in, that your comment, is better. Our goal is improves to all of you every day.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Note to everyone staying in Hotel Tamanaco—stay in the updated rooms in the third floor. These rooms are clean and nicely furnished. The service I got was great—from the reception until checkout. The food was good too. I had the breakfast included rate, which is a varied breakfast buffet. I only had to stay in Caracas a few days and had business in Las Mercedes, so it was perfectly fine for my purposes. I get that a lot of people say the hotel looks tired, certainly the pool area shows its age. For me that is part of is charm. Tamanaco is certainly no flea bag, and if they keep working on remodeling its rooms it will become more competitive with respect to other hotels in Caracas. It was fine for my purposes and will definitely stay again. Tamanaco gets for me 3 stars for the facility, 5 stars for service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear (chicoantillano1984)

Thank you for your kind words about our Hotel. Of course we will continued in the remodelations because our goal is bring you the best experience when you stay far of home.

We will hope to see you soon in our hotel again.

Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas.