“Find a better hotel in Caracas”

InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Houston, Texas
“Find a better hotel in Caracas”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel twice (1 night and 2 nights) during my transfers in/around the country for business. The hotel clearly had seen much better days in the past however they are long gone. It did not look like it was maintained or even cleaned at all for the past few years. It might be OK for a "no star" hotel but it is not acceptable for a hotel with 4(?) stars. There is a constant odor (humidity/rust/smoke/other) in the rooms. A/C makes a lot of sound but it does not do anything other than propagating this odor. You can see cut-out ceiling pieces in the hallways probably to fix some piping but left open/forgotten. On a bright side, the pool is good. It does not look very well kept but the water is clean. It is quite big and is a signature of the better times in the past. The grill restaurant is OK, but over priced. The breakfast buffet looks rich but the food is not tasty or high quality as it could be. If you drink tap water, there is a strange taste indicating rust or other contamination but I did not get sick. The hotel is safe which is important in Caracas. The staff is helpful in general but I was denied to check in to the hotel at 2:40 pm since the check-in time was 3:00 pm! This never happened to me before in all my travels around the world. In short, I believe you can find a much better place for all the money you will pay at this hotel which needs major (I mean a "major") renovation. [Note for the hotel staff: please do not write a response to this review apologizing for the shortcomings and trying to fix it electronically. Instead fix your property and services. Thanks!]

Room Tip: Prefer a higher floor with poolside view. It looked like there was some work done at lower floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bassit303
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear "Bassit303"

Thank you for your comments about your stay in our Hotel. We must offer you a apology even when you do not want it, because we accepted that need to improve, and step by step the changes it will be doing. Hope you reconsidered stay hear again to let us know the new experience.

Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Windermere, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the InterContinental for 2 months. The staff are friendly, caring and are always trying to make the gueat feel special. The rooms are clean and have good space. Room service is awesome and they deliver on time. The restaurants are good, specially the Pizza's at "La Cabaña". When I had some free time I ask the reception for help and the concierge organized everything! I was very impressed. Overall, its a great hotel, with great staff and great atmosphere. If i have to travel back, I will be staying at thw hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear "Daniel R"

Thank you so much for your review about the experience in our Hotel. I am very glad to know that your stay was good. We hope to see you soon in our Hotel.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I went to InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas for one-week business trip. In the first day it was clear It was not going to be a pleasant stay: a long queue in the reception, the room had a bad smell of smoke, there were no hot water in the shower and the WiFi was not working. These problems occurred some more times during the week.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lebarion
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear "lebarion"

I offer you a sincere apology for the inconvenience. I recognize that we have some difficults now, but I guarantee that I will take care of this case to improve the service and give you all the experience that you look in a Hotel.

I hope you give another chance to prove that we can offer you a good experience.

Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas

Travellers are raving about these Caracas hotels

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This hotel may have had its hey day a while back, but it isn't keeping up with what is really required for the star rating they are claiming and the price they are charging. The rooms are outdated and I had to change rooms as the first one I was assigned smelled really foul. It kind of has an eerie, empty feel to it. The location on the busy street made it a bit difficult to get around nearby restaurants and shopping by foot. Most staff were positive and helpful. The building just isn't all that welcoming. Free wifi was a positive!

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jessica C
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear "Jessica C"

Thank you for take a few minutes to let us know about your experience. I offer you a sincere apology and I take care to let the rest to the personal know about it. We are in process to refresh the areas in our Hotel to give to all of our guests the best experience.

Kind regards,

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I'll give them 4 out of 5, since they have done a very good effort to improve since my last stay, where if available I would give them -10!
They were kind enough to provide me with a real upgrade, which essentially was in good conditions; but really if they are going to improve they need to do the whole improvement and not just part of it.

For a suite (nice upgrade) I think they are missing a couple of essential things:
1. Mirrors! they only have one mirror inside the bathroom, and is on top of the sink and for so, you can't see yourself completely... they have enough space to put more mirrors, even behind the doors.
2. Bathroom ceiling: it has a terrible look, seemed they had a nice idea to put these type of false ceiling glass, but none fits correctly, so all seems crooked and with cracks that let you see the insides.
3. A suite without drinking glasses? yes, well they only had the ones they put for the bathroom, so when you get a drink out of the mini bar there is nothing that you can use to serve it.

On the good part, the room was CLEAN, that one is for me the most important feature, all seemed to work correctly, and again the staff is very good, food is also very good and pricing is correct if compared to most of the Caracas.

Keep improving, the effort is notable!

Thank you.

Room Tip: This trip I was offered a suite, so if you can get a suite, do it since are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear "rertze"

Thank you so much for take a few minutes of your time to give us the review of your new experience with us. I really appreciate that yo recognize our effort to improve every day to give you the best service that you deserve.

In name of all the staff, I recognize that we need to continue the improvement, and we are really committed in do it. The project going little by little but with all the effort.

Thank you again for your sincere words.

Windermere, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

When looking at the reviews, I really didnt know what to expect, but once I arrived everything changed. I stayed on the 6th floor. The room was big, clean and didnt look old. The food quality was fantastic, tipical latin tasty food! The staff is very friendly and are always trying to help you. The only problem was that the front desk was always busy and could use some extra hands to help. Apart from that, my time at the hotel was good.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Daniel R
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Daniel R.

Thank you for share your experience. I am very glad to know that you enjoy the stay in our Hotel. Every day we work to improve in provide you the best service for that all of you feel like your home.

Thank you again for your review. Hope to see you soon back at our Hotel.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I recently went on a business trip to Caracas. For some unknown reason every single hotel was fully booked and the only choice I found was this one.

USD 350 per night at one of the worst rooms I have seen in my entire life. Even a small country side motel in Georgia beats this hotel in a second.

Guys from Intercontinental: Do you have any idea of what's going on in Caracas? It's shocking that you still have your brand affiliated to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Denise S
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Denise.

Thank you for take a few minutes to share your experience in our Hotel. I offer you a sincere apology for can not offer you the service that you deserves. We recognize that, actually, we have some problems but I guarantee you that we are working hard to improve every day. We hope to see you soon back to let us show you that.

Kind regards,