“Not the same as a U.S. Marriott”

JW Marriott Hotel Caracas
Ranked #1 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I have stayed in this hotel 2 times. Once in the main tower (nice, large rooms) and recently in the other tower (separate from reception). In my recent stay, there was a hole in the ceiling near the door (some sort of vent). I asked to be moved to another room, but the same hole was there. The AC was loud in both rooms-- this is the older building with smaller rooms. The style of the room was not the same as in the states (with a bedscarf etc). The staff is nice... but during check-in we were told that there was an indian festival buffet going on. I met several coworkers in the restaurant, but were told that the indian buffet was not to be held tonight. The food we ordered from the menu was very good, however. There is a sushi restaurant in the hotel, which I did not like at all. Besides the room in the old tower, my other main gripe is the long check-out line...so give yourself an extra 20-30 minutes for this process.

Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 December 2008

Probably best of a bad bunch

I would call this hotel car alarm central – you can hear all types of car alarms just about 24 hours a day – add to this the occasional ambulance or police car and constant car horn honking and you get the idea. Also, I was in room 1601 and there was a loud hum like there was a generator next door. I put up with it for my stay but lets just say I never got a decent nights sleep the whole time I was there and never felt comfortable.

The staff seem to be totally overwhelmed – every time I was at the front desk there seemed to be lots of guests just standing around to be either served or for someone to get back to them. I found the front desk was pretty good at ignoring guest and doing something else which I assume was more important – there did not seem to be any order in who they served first.

Room service was not bad. Everytime you order room service or laundry etc they would ring and ask if it was ok – some type of quality assurance but very annoying – in the end I just unplugged the phone. They are incapable of making a hot cup of tea.

Generally the stay was not pleasant and I don’t know if it was the hotel or just Caracas. Caracas hotels were all full when I was there so I couldn’t change hotels so unfortunately I don’t have any other suggestions. If you can’t get in anywhere else I would go with this hotel as I suspect the other hotels in Caracas are probably worse.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Staff were great. Very friendly and professional.

Breakfast buffet was good, though expensive.

Check in and check out were quite efficient.

Room was great. Everything worked - internet etc.

Neighborhood seems relatively safe. I don't think any neighborhood in Caracas is 100% safe, according to the local opinion anyway.

GOOD restaurant and jazz club right across the street. The quality of music would definitely require a cover charge in the USA. Totally free. Just the price of beer.

Only down side was the amount of noise from the busy street. Constant honking of horns through the night. A hotel this nice should put some money into soundproofing. You might check if there are rooms that don't face the street.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2008

The room I had was real noisy. I was in room 1117 and the traffic noise and vibration was bad- car alarms, car horns, police sirens etc. Some of the other rooms seem to be sheltered so they should be less noisy and I asked to be moved to be told they had no rooms – I don’t buy this, it is just sheer laziness. Also, the sound insulation between rooms was terrible – I could here the lady next door going to the toilet, watching tv, speaking on the telephone etc. The hotel seems to be split into an old wing and a new wing and I am pretty sure I was in the new wing as it didn’t look anything like the photos. I hate these noisy hotels and I hate it even more when they claim they can’t change rooms.

The room service food was pretty ordinary. The room was clean but there was a cigerrett burn in one of the chairs, the other chair had a nasty stain as did the small bedcover they put at the base of the bed.

The room charge was $349 plus taxes and they charge another $20 per day for internet access.

I was glad to leave.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Best hotel in CCS, no doubt!!!!
Sure, it's expensive - but I would say it's worth the money.

The location could be better, but since you only a 5 min drive from the bigger shopping places, I still think it's great.

The pool on there roaf top, is a must see (and use!).

My last check in was over in 2 min. - even with a few persons getting there room keys at the same time.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We have previously stayed at the Tamanaco hotel which is terrible, we booked here because Marriotts are nothing if not consistent.
Overall our experience was very good, check in was prompt and efficient – they did charge us a whole extra nights’ accommodation for a 9am check in which was a bit excessive though.
The room was good Marriott standard, lots of pillows, linen clean and not worn out, fixtures and fittings all worked and the bathroom was excellent.
The breakfast was very good – but extremely expensive at 45USD per person
Wifi in room worked fine, though you have to pay for it – they say they only have cable internet in the room and wifi in the common areas, so i connected in the lobby and walked back to our room and the connection remained, so all good there.
The gym was really good, older equipment but lots of machines and a reasonably good swimming pool.
Staff were helpful and friendly we even managed to change some USD at a very good rate after asking the right people which made the trip much cheaper overall.
As many other people have stated our keys deactivated almost every day which gets very frustrating.
We returned to our room on the first night to find that security staff had entered our room and Kensington locked our laptops to the desk in our room – i am still not sure if this a good sign or not – we soon worked out our laptops fitted into the room safe, so we left them.
There is an Italian restaurant over the road called Limoncello which is a good option for dining out without having to take a taxi.
All in all it was pretty good – probably a bit below average for a Marriott, but excellent for Caracas.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2008

I have stayed at many JW's, usually they are very good properties. The fisrt night I lay down on the bed it felt old, too soft - thin mattress. I requested a change of mattress and instaed they put two doors (yes two doors) between the mattress and the box spring to make it more firm but did not work. Result a bad back pain. For the rate they charge, I am sure they can change the mattresses regularly or buy better ones. Food was expensive and average quality

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business