“Don't stay here if you don't want to hear gunshots, feel safe, or actually have any customer service!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caracas
Royal Hotel
Ranked #66 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, as the tour group we were traveling with was in charge of bookings. This is the only reason we ended up here. ALL 3 nights we heard gunshots, which came from right outside our hotel. This was both in the afternoon, night, and in the middle of the night while sleeping. Needless to say, I never got a good night's sleep here.

Safety is highly questionable. Firstly, there is no security guard at the door. There is no locked door from the street, so it seems as if anyone could theoretically walk in (when we came back one night, there was a book behind the door, keeping it closed--not going to be much help if an armed & determined person wants to break in. Since most other hotels I stay in outside of Caracas had bars on the window, I couldn't figure out why downtown in the world's most dangerous city, there was seemingly no security measures whatsoever. Secondly, the lock on the door of our room is a very basic door. We could easily see that the room was broken into before. No deadbolts, just a basic door lock like you would have in your home INSIDE your house. I did not feel safe leaving anything here, but I also did not feel safe taking it out on the street with me.

I felt like I was in prison IN the hotel due to the drabness of the room, not to mention the gunshots, which didn't make me want to leave the hotel at all. The room was clean, but bare-bones and not cozy or stylish at all. However, I felt super unsafe walking outside, so I had little choice but to stay inside. When we did go out of the hotel, it was just to eat. However, one afternoon around 3 pm when we left to get water, teenagers threw rocks at our heads from the building next door. We were told by the tour leader who booked us here that the area is increasingly growing unsafe & the building has been taken over by people squatting, which did not help at all.

Service is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. They do not speak English here, but I used my Spanish. The first day we checked in, the guy DEMANDED our passports. Then he got on the phone, called his friend, and talked about when they were going to meet up for a cup of coffee. Since I had just spent 10 hours in a car and the guy had been very rude, I asked him when he was going to actually allow us to get our room key and relax. He was very angry with me for this and then demanded money (though the room was already paid for). The manager had to come out, which sped up the process slightly, though not much.

The day we were leaving, we asked if we could extend our stay a few hours as we were not leaving Caracas until 9 pm. We made an agreement about the time & cost. We tried to pay with our credit card, but were told that the system wasn't working. When I inquired further, I was told it was because it was raining. We tried again, and again later before going out for lunch. It still did not work, so we went to go and eat and came back. When we did, the woman we made the agreement with had left & we were promptly told that we would have to pay 150% MORE. I told the man that was not what the agreement was, but he did not care at all. I tried to explain, but he would not listen to anything I said. He told us we had to pay more, or leave the hotel immediately. It was a complete scam & I bet that the machine that was "not working" was only because they were ultimately going to make us pay more anyway.

Overall: HORRIBLE & COMPLETELY UNRECOMMENDABLE
1. unsafe area & questionable hotel safety
2. unfriendly staff
3. no concept of customer service whatsoever

Find somewhere else & know that when staying in Caracas, it is NOT worth saving a few dollars on a hotel when sacrificing your sense of security & therefore sleep!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BR2100

Families
Solo
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

While this hotel was better than my first in Caracas, it was typical of a budget hotel (the price in USD depended on the exchange rate you received on exchanging your money..official or black market). It is on a street that has a fair amount of shopping and dining options nearby but can also be fairly dangerous at night so one needs to keep an eye out.

The room was dark and drab but the bed wasn't that uncomfortable. The bathroom was pretty crude and I didn't have hot water (but got used to that in Venezuela).

Service at the front desk was fine and there was a bar/restaurant in the lobby that I didn't use.

In summary, not an awful choice if you want to stay near Sabada Grande but don't get your expectations up.

Stayed November 2008

Travellers are raving about these Caracas hotels

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2007

Cannot believe someone is recommending the Hotel Royal in Caracas. I find it hard to think of one good thing about it - though the water was hot. Well, for me it was hot, not for others. Everything was broken, cracked, didn't work. Even the lavatory packed up. Sheets were ripped in half to make two. A more cheerless place would be hard to find. I didn't see a businessman there - except one renting by the hour maybe. The "restaurant" was dark, dingy and no one seemed ever to have eaten there - the cook had gone home anyway. No way stay there - even the manager warned me of the dangers of the area. I dread to think of what other places people have stayed in if they think this is reasonable!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank rowanLondon
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2005

I actually found it to be quite a decent place. Caracas does not have a lot of tourists so hotels usually fall in two categories: Big, expensive American chains or "mataderos"= cheap motels for sex. Hotel Royal falls in a mid point between both. I have stayed there a couple of times, and I found most of the guests there were there for work reasons.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Richmond, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2005

This hotel is way, way overpriced considering it is in the Sabana Grande - not a safe place to be staying in Caracas. Several people I met in Caracas told me this hotel is one of the "love hotels" used by locals for sexual interludes. For the $40-$50 price range there are much better buys in much safer places. This place is a real dive.

11 Thank texasredhead