“Do they still deserve the Astrid and Gaston name ?”
Review of Astrid & Gaston - CLOSED

Astrid & Gaston
Price range: US$25 - US$500
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Over the last three years I have visited this restaurant three times and I have a feeling they are going down one step each time .
This time here are my comments :
I understand that food and drink supply is complicated in Caracas today , but finding sparkling water should not be impossible ! We could get sparkling water in most other restaurants we went to and even in cafeterias on the road to Valencia .
Would it be possible for the barman to learn that Bloody Mary has to be prepared with Vodka not Rhum ( really strange taste !)
Ceviche can be excellent , quite often.... or really disappointing when it is under "cooked " by the lemon juice and made with average quality fish .
I would suggest to the owners of the name to check whether they still want to have it on that restaurant ; I do understand the very complicated conditions restaurants upon Caracas are facing.

1  Thank LePapito

Reviewed 14 September 2013

One of the best restaurants I have been in my life, hands down! Tried the Arroz Chaufa, it was unbelievable. Would reccomend this restaurant every day!

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I wanted to visit the restaurant for a long time due to Peru's Astrid & Gastón reputation, but this is nothing like that. The service personnel were nice but very unprofessional, they brought the wine menu mid dinner, the waiters kept coming over you to remove the plates instead of from the side, the hostess was rude because my reservations wasn't in her book, the bill took 30min to come and so on. The food was either average or bad. We had the ceviche which was just ok, the causa had a tempura that was not freshly fried, a catch of the day was plain and the risotto it came with undercooked and sour smelling, I did not eat it. Also, the air conditioning was really way too cold, we couldn't wait to get out. There are great Peruvian restaurants in Caracas. This is not one of them.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Positive:
1. food is good and well prepared
2. the restaurant and the lounge are nice
3. the service is good

Negative:
1. everything is are far too expensive
2. quality of the ingredients is average
3. there is very few left of the Peruvian cusine, it is more an international fusion
4. the menu is limited

Bottom line: there are many similar places in Caracas who are less expensive and offer something similar so most likely I won't come back.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I have been to the ones in Lima and Bogota and had an amazing experience in both. While in Caracas, we thought we would go back to this favorite restaurant of ours and it completely ruined our memories. To start they made us go to the lounge when there were tables available (we were there almost until the place closed), the service was average and the food was terrible. The only thing i liked was the sauce thy served with the bread....and on top of it all the price was outrageous!
What a pitty! I hope one day if I go back to another my previous experiences subside this awful one.