“awfull hotel with the worst food we ever have eaten in our life”

Playa Grande Caribe Hotel & Marina
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Catia La Mar
Cologne, Italy
“awfull hotel with the worst food we ever have eaten in our life”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

we were stucked in caracas and LUFTHANSA got us this hotel. This hotel is far away from 5 star or even far away to be names as "Hotel". Rooms are dirty, old and everything is kind of broken. But the worst part was the "Restaurant". We got two dishes which were even below the dignity of a dog. Cold, oily (old oil) and it took very long to serve the dishes. This food was only an insult to our humanity.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here for a night before returning to UK, as our preferred hotel (Eurobuilding near Maiquetia airport) was full. Lots of facilities, but the staff didn't seem interested (except the check-in guy), and the whole place had a cheap and grubby feel to it. Had insufficient funds exchanged at black market rate, so had to pay with debit card- needless to say, at the black market rate, the hotel room would have been about right for the price. At the standard rate, it is at least 4 times the rate you might expect or want to pay!
Oh, and get down to breakfast before 8:30 ish, as they don't bother to top up buffet items when they run out later!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Catia La Mar hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Not very close from the airport. They forgot to pick me up, and I was just stopping by to sleep before heading to Valencia, from my 4 scheduled hours of sleep I got 2, I needed to call them from the airport. Besides, it was very bureaucratic to coordinate the cab (I do speak Spanish, so I don't know how bad should be if you don't). Rooms are beautiful and with great views, sadly I didn't have the chance to enjoy them, sunrise was beautiful, but I was so pissed off that I left promptly without even checked it. I asked for a website or number to complain and the guy on the reception gave me his email! Horrible.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ratalie
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I usually try to get the best from the places I visit, but this time if I want to resume my experience with this "hotel" in one single word I would use one that came inmediately to my mind: THIS IS A JUNK !
The Location is terrible, the service...there is no service, their actitud...they don't have it, the internet was terrible, wifi...their teck guys still working on it.
If you wnat to stay overnight don't wait yiu money with this guys...

Room Tip: I am sure if you want for an especific room, they will give you what ever they want! So, dont wait y...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Clovis, California
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I didn't know what to expect when I booked here. but my wake up call was on time, the dining room was nice and the meal was very good. the service at the dining room was good and a little slow. My bedroom was good the bathroom shower could have been improved with the soap dish was loose on the wall. It would have been nice if the living room had a TV instead of having to watch it in the bedroom. My taxi was there waiting for me when I checked out to go to the airport.
Overall it was a good experience, I would go back. I was on my way back to the US.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2011

It was and always will be a terrible hotel. Receptionists are nice , but that where it stops. Rooms are bad, NO hot water , no early morning calls. 1 hour waiting for food after we ordered and only 6 in the restaurant !! Beds are hard , Ripped off at the bar , so we went down to the small shop up the road and bought at 1/3 price and went to our room .Bugs and cockroahes all over ,smell as is right next to sewerage as shown in photos. Dogs & rooster noise. Area is very unsafe after dark. Friends were confronted by armed locals !!!
Best advise ; DON` T GO there.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel .
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Turakina
Chagrin Falls
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Stay in this hotel if you want to have some flashbacks from the war or wish to see why extreme communism does not work. The hotel is awful in all respects. On your approach to the hotel, notice the shady man ducking into an alleyway. That glimmer in his hand is drug paraphenalia, wow, great to show the kids. Also notice the abandoned buildings with creepy people hanging around. Consider them your new neighbors for the night. Upon entering, notice the smell. That, my friend, is the smell of old and uncleaned lobby. Don't worry, it's in the room too. The hotel furniture is from what I estimate to be 1986, sometime when Miami Vice was still on. The rooms are tired, the faucet finish is chipped and faded, A/C runs loud and luke warm, rusty metal on the hinges and door locks, floors are dirty, I can go on if you like. If you like chickens, there are live ones that run around across the street. Please do yourself a favor, sleep in the airport, it's cleaner.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
La Candelaria
Hotel Alex
Hotel Alex
#14 of 85 in Caracas

Been to Playa Grande Caribe Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!