“Nice Weekend with my baby and wife”

Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Maracaibo
Canada
“Nice Weekend with my baby and wife”
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel again for a weekend night since my wife and I loved a lot of things from this chain and the rooms are great. But they can not missed the target which is improve every day and don't get caught by the competition.

When we arrived we got to the room with the buttons and when we entered the smell of smoke was really strong. We asked the buttons to change our room and he told us that it is difficult with some clients that smoke in rooms, which is prohibited, and I would probably preferred not waste my time in changing rooms. All of the sudden I remembered last year when I stayed with my wife only that in the middle of the night somebody was smoking. I made a review by then. I called the front desk and they apologized for the inconvenience. I demanded a new room and they told me that they called me back to the room when they have it ready. After 30 minutes, too much in my opinion, They called me back and switch rooms. I had to take my baby out to the hall all this time to avoid getting him coughing. In total we lost an hour to finally get going.

The food in the pool area, specially hamburgers where not very tasty but for the price was ok, we intended to have dinner at the more expensive restaurant in the hotel, but they didn't have any cream for the baby.

The lights at the tennis court should be brighter since it gets unplayable at nights, they should get advise on this from Club Nautico Maracaibo.

Definitely still the best option for a weekend get away. But don't miss the target or the competition will pass you out, they are getting very closed

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Jfviajero
Rosana N, Community Manager at Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for your review. We like to know our guests opinion to improve our service. We will let know our different departments about your comments, for solve this issues as soon as possible. To keep offering to our guests the best service and making them feel like in home.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. From what I understand this is the only nice place to stay in Maracaibo. The lobby, bar and pool are nice. Restaurants are OK. They only had buffets while I was there. Service was average at best as compared to US hotels. The fitness center is huge and has a lot of free weights. Rooms are average. Fairly small but adequate. The neighborhood around the hotel is not safe. I was told not leave he hotel grounds. The hotel itself was safe.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark V
cincinnati
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I spent five nights at the hotel and enjoyed the pool and the facility very much. Each morning they were busy cleaning the pool and service at the pool and swim up bar was excellent as was the life entertainment on the weekend. I owe a special thanks to Adri López who was most helpful when I needed to find and English speaking driver "Edwardo". Adri speaks nearly perfect English and was very professional. I was a bit disappointed that the government had closed the Casino's throughout most of the country. I suspect that once they have a new president that they will open again. The hotel had several restaurants and bars including a disco at night with life entertainment. Although there is not much near by the hotel, the hotel has it all.

Room Tip: The club floor is well worth it at this hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed here in Jan'13. The duration was 3 nights. I will divide my review highlighting the positives and negatives.

The Positives

1. Extremely large property. Has at least 3-4 restaurants inside, a night club, 2 bars, a confectionary shop. Also has a very pretty swimming pool and excellent fully equipped gym with lots of machines. Fresh towels available.

2. Very close to the airport. Cost 100 Bolivars for a one way ride.

3. Is primary a business hotel.

4. The rich and famous of Maracibo could be seen there using the gym or the night club etc

5. The hotel staff was extremely polite. Very courteous, very helpful.

6. The food was good. A couple of times I called the chef and told him exactly how I wanted my food. It was done. Also they have excellent buffet for lunch and dinner with a plethora of choices. Costs about 180 bolivars.

7. The room was pretty decent. I requested for a swimming pool facing room and got it. The Ac was super strong!

8. The bathroom in the room had a jacuzzi plus a shower kind of bath.

9. The room contained complimentary water bottles, Ironing board and iron.

10. My room was cleaned daily and well.

11. Lot of good looking staff working at the hotel! It all adds up! :-)

12. The night club had good music playing & is pretty handy if you are a single person and bored.

13. Their is a Mcdonlads at walking distance.

The Bad

1. The Jacuzzi in the bathroom. It pipes seemed soiled. Once I filled up the jacuzzi but the water was so hot that I never took the bath. I drained the water. The whole bath was filled with muck. I never used the Jacuzzi henceforth.

2. The carpet in the room was a bit sordid.

3. Once I ordered a night delivery in my room. The food came cold and stale.

4. Ordering a airport pick up was a nightmare. I had to call up the hotel 4-5 times from my home to arrange my pick-up. They asked for a email for my request. I sent it. Then they said, they wanted me to write " I authorize you to charge my credit card for airport pick-up". I wrote it. Then they wanted some more improvements in the email before agreeing to pick me up.

5. The checkout was not breezy. The hotel tried to charged me two times. One time on arrival and one time on departure. Their plea , that the arrival time charge won't be charged and refunded. Nevertheless, my credit card was charged twice and refunded for one of them. They never tried to con me but just that their strategy sucks.

6. The hotel is far from everywhere else. This means, you can't do much until, you have a car.

7. No one offered to help with the luggage. They behaved like a American hotel in a country like Venezuela.

8. The property is so huge that some of the places in the hotel were not lighted up in night time to save on electricity. Fair enough but makes it look dull.

9. The business centre was not accesible. A lady there, shooed me away! For making a print-out, I had to send a email with attachment to the front desk, who printed it for me.

10. The bathroom seat is strangely contructed in a corner of the bathroom and kind of cramped position making it tough for using for the purpose its used.

Hope this review is helpful to some of you guys.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing swimming Pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Sally M
Oranjestad, Aruba
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We havwe been to Maracaibo for medical reasons, the hotel was very nice and confortable, 4 restaurants with great food and service.

Very clean rooms and free internet was available. we will defintle go back. and recommend this hotel to friends and family

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gercast
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I was connecting to CCS, after a long trip from Rome,Italy - New York - Puerto Rico and Miami. I spent unfortunately just one night at Crowne Plaza Maruma Maracaibo hotel and I noted the engagement from their personnel to give to their customers the best experience. My words of recognition to their GM Mr. Jorge Landa and to Mrs. Maite Ortega (Food and Beverages Mgr), they assisted me and helped me during me stay at Crowne Plaza hotel at Maracaibo, made me feel just like home!!, thanks!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Alfredo Jose G
Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stay in this hotel as a little escape with my wife for a different night from the routine. And what a better way to do it.

Good things first. The place is really nice and clean, the lobby is beautiful, and he pool is definitely the best one for a hotel in the city. La Ronda disco bar is great with full Latin music all night and the guest of the hotel are treat as is they are on a cruise.

The room it's big, such as the bathroom, and very clean. It feels very secure, to access the rooms building you need a key for the elevator to unlock and work. The service makes you feel great all the time and you can notice they are train as five star hotels do

The food in the Italian restaurant and the buffet one are very tasted and with good amount of food serve, in the first one

The bad things. Just three, we weren't able to use the bathtub because I supposed it is not use very often and when we turn it on, black death bugs appear in the jets. Off course we wait to turn then on after the water covere them, so we wasted our time. The other thing was that at something like 1 am someone was smoking in our floor and the smell enter thought the air condition system. We have to cal the front desk and after 20 minutes the smell disappear. The last thing is location, good for business or if you don't want to leave the hotel, but if you want to know the city, it is far from the nice places to meet.

The rest as I wrote before was very nice.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Jfviajero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maracaibo
Hotel Costa Real
#1 of 7 in Maracaibo
No photo provided
Maracaibo Suites Hotel
#5 of 7 in Maracaibo

Been to Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!