Dar Fatma
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
La Villa Bleue(Sidi Bou Said)
US$268
US$80
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$99
Hotel Dar Said(Sidi Bou Said)
  • Pool
Hotel Bou Fares(Sidi Bou Said)
  • Free Internet
Villa Didon(Carthage)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I have just read some reviews previously submitted and I wish I had read them before. The website with the beautiful music gives one the sense that one will be welcomed by a manager or owner and somehow looked after, or at least given a sense of the magic of the area. I was welcomed by a cleaner who asked me (and it is the same thing that was said by a previous reviewer) whether I wanted tea or coffee with breakfast. I said that I liked both. When I asked for tea on arrival, that was met with a look of astonishment. I had come from la Chambre Bleue in Tunis - and they set the bar very high. Anything else would be a disappointment - but this is lack lustre to say the least. The most perfunctory information is provided about the environs. I asked for a map of Sidi Bou Said, because the taxi drivers seemed to get lost all the time - I was told that no map was available. I never met an owner or manager. It is at least quiet, and I agree with other reviewers that the breakfast is nice. But overall, though clean and tastefully decorated, a bit charmless, and certainly overpriced. I have read that there is a swimming pool - I never saw it and was never told about it. One thing - there is too much of a ping-ping sound from the microwave in the morning. It seems that water is heated for tea in the microwave and it comes with an unappetising cloud on the surface.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Dar Fatma is a "hotel de charme", meaning: small, family atmospehre, no standard hotel, more like a B&B. It is situated in the charming town of Sidi Bou Said in a little, tiny street, which you can only reach (the last 30 meters) on foot. If you need a taxi that drives you into your hotel room, go to the tourist zones... You will have to walk a longer distance from the lobby to your room though :D. Of course, there is no SPA, no huge buffet, no huge swimming pool an especially no beach. But of course you know that when you come here. Instead, you have a small house with a patio, a roof-top terrace overlooking Sidi Bou Said and the ocean with a marvelous view. You can chill there and even sit in a tiny Jacuzzi. If the weather is warm enough of course...(it was not in the winter). The small rooms are clean, designed in a stylish and spartan-type of way. All in white, few decorations, nice quality. Like elsewhere in Sidi Bou Said everything is painted in bright white and blue. The WiFi is free, however only working in the lobby. The breakfast is served on demand during the whole morning. It is delicious (lots of fresh fruits!) and prepared for you only. Of course, in a 7 room-hotel (during our stay, only 2 or 3 rooms were taken), a buffet is not possible. For me, the breakfast was a little to sweet (fruits, chocolate-Croissant, Jam, Yoghurt, Pancake, juice), but I asked for something more spicy and it was prepared for me. The staff was friendly and fun to communicate with. (mostly with hand and feet :D). Although we visited bigger hotels with more "over-the-top" service, this was the nicest one coming down to the unique family style. I felt, that about 10 € less the price would have been more suitable for the hotel, but I think you also pay for the remarkable view and location. In winter time Sidi Bou Said ist quite, in the summer time hordes of trouists seem to visit the place. A VERY IMPORTANT information for everybody visiting the hotel in the winter time: The walls are thick, the floor made of stone. So the whole room is - although there is a small heating - very cold. In the morning you can freeze being in the toilet or under the shower (low water pressure = not very hot). So my advice for the winter also judging by the other reviews here: Bring slippers and a pyjama. The cold in the room is actually the only real weakness of the hotel. Am minor weakness was: They want you to pay in cash (Euro or Dinar), since they made bad experience with Tunesian banks or something like that. In general, this is no problem, since they give you the bill one day in advance. However it is a little bit more inconvenient for you as a customer, since you must look for a bank in advance, if you don´t have enough cash at hand. Still, I really recommend this place. It is worth a stay. I can give the Hotel only 4 stars due to the cold rooms. However, it was the nicest hotel experience we had in Tunesia.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is a small boutique style hotel situated in the chic hilltop seaside village of Sidi Bou Said. Its right at the top of the village just below the lighthouse and gives great views of the sea, the old town of Sidi Bou Said, Carthage and Tunis and the hills of Cap Bon across the bay. Like the rest of the village the hotel is painted white with blue shutters, doors and railings. Its an old building with a courtyard and its best feature, a large rooftop terrace with small plunge pool. Rooms are on various floors up narrow tiled staircases. Our room was quite small, stylishly decorated in contemporary minimalist style. It had A/C but this didn’t work . It wasn’t needed though as the large picture window with sea view gave us a nice sea breeze.. I believe our room had the best view. From what I saw, there were only two rooms with a sea view- ours and the one next door which had a view onto the neighbouring graveyard with the sea beyond. Other rooms didn’t seem to have a sea view and some seemed to only have windows facing into the courtyard. I'd advice to ask if the room has a view when booking.

The Dar Fatma was by far the most expensive hotel we stayed in, in Tunisia at 120 Euros per night. I felt this was expensive for what you got. It was clean but certain little details needed attention eg the A/C not working, and the sun loungers on the roof looked a little old. For this price in Tunisia, they need to keep an eye on this attention to detail.

I would describe the service as a little eccentric too. We were met by a local lady who seemed to be a cleaner and didn’t seem to expecting us though we had a reservation. We’d only been there around 5 minutes when she asked whether we wanted tea or coffee with breakfast the next day, which seemed a strange thing to ask. She also didn’t show us the roof terrace, and I’m sure the other couple staying at the same time as us weren’t even aware of it. The owner turned up later and the first thing he asked was what time we’d be leaving in two days time! I said Dix heures (10) , which he misheard as six heures, and his horror at the fact that we may stay long into the day was ill disguised. He then told us his credit card machine as broken and that we’d need to go to the bank and get cash. Not very welcoming., though perhaps a language barrier didn’t help. The previous occupants of our room had obviously left the lights on and the windows open so we had a small plague of mosquitos. The cleaner was helpful though and got us a plug -in insecticide.

The hotel has no parking and you need to park on the road at the top of the village. Its around a 5 minute walk down through the steep cobbled streets to the town. If you’re not good at walking far this may be a challenge. Also, the hotel is on a popular street leading to the clifftop and we woke one morning to see a coach load of Italian tourists being frogmarched around the sites. The cliff behind the graveyard is also a popular location for secret local drinkers and we had wondered if we would suffer noise at night . We heard nothing from them but on the second night, a neighbouring dog began barking and howling very loudly. I eventually leaned out of the window and shouted "Ssshhhhh!!". Amazingly it did! Try this if the same happens to you...

Breakfast was served in the downstairs courtyard and was a step up from the usual Tunisian fare of bread and jam. We had melon, peach and cherries, yogurt, a selection of breads and jams, and the coffee which we’d requested upon check-in.

In summary, Dar Fatma is a nice, well decorated and clean boutique hotel in Tunisias most fashionable ‘village’. I felt a fare price would have been around 80 euros and this was probably reflected in the fact that only two rooms were taken when we stayed in June 12. Also, you weren’t made to feel particularly welcome and for the price paid, that was a disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The owner has clearly spent a lot of money on glossy brochures and a flashy website, but the reality for my friend and I last week was somewhat different. Road works immediately outside the entrance meant that the pavement was up - very dangerous for anyone approaching the hotel, particularly with suitcases. A twin-bedded room had been confirmed prior to our departure, but on our arrival we were given a room with a double bed. When we complained, we were told there was only one room with twin beds - this was on the ground floor with virtually no windows. As it was only for one night, we accepted the double. The room was cold (okay it was January and Tunisian houses are not built for the cold), but the radiator was inadequate and we had to find out for ourselves how to switch the heated towel rail on. The water in the shower was luke-warm. There was no privacy - if we opened the shutters, anyone walking down the street outside could look straight into our room. We specificaly did not want a large tourist hotel, but it seemed evident to us that the absentee owner saw a business opportunity in this old property and thought he could vastly overcharge (£80 for a small, cold room in the low season) on the basis of a few fancy fittings.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Their brochure is totally misleading - this is a house that has been turned into a bed and breakfast and with the addition of a few bottles of shampoo in the bathroom can charge over the top for it. We booked a twin bedded room (we are two women travelling together) - the taxi driver couldn't find it, it is hidden away and the approach path to it is a disaster and dangerous. They did not give us a twin bedded room and we had to share a double bed. We asked if another bed could be put in the room but they declined. The room was freezing and even with the inadequate heating on it was still freezing. We asked for more heat and they didn't have any. We found out that the room next to us was available with plenty of room for a spare bed but we were not offered this room. Apparently the hotel is owned by absent owners (they live in France) and there is no-one in charge and this shows. Dogs were barking very nearby which made the little sleep we did get even worse.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends