“Lovely charming small hotel”
Review of Hotel Dar Said

Hotel Dar Said
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sidi Bou Said
London
“Lovely charming small hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I really loved and enjoyed staying at this boutique hotel right in the main touristy Sidi Bou Said. Rooms are all different and very unique. Bathroom has soaps, shampoos, hair dryer and some amenities. AC works fine. the window and its covers makes a bit of noise but it was okay,
This hotel's location is perfect to enjoy few days in Sidi Bou Said. It is a small town to everything is walking distance. Although you might have to go up and down since the hotel is located at the hill.
The TGM station was still closed (as of June2014) so it is better to take taxi (meter!) from/to the town. It is walkable from the station to the hotel if you don't have a heavy luggages. Its about 10 min walk up hill…
Airport to this area by meter taxi costs around 7-10D depending on traffic.
Breakfast was served by the pool and it is really lovely but basic. Coffee, Tea, yogurt, Pastries and some fruits.
The hotel staff speaks several languages and very kind and h helpful. There is a pool side bar opens till around 20:00 and they do have beer and wines(bottles). A restaurant "Dar Zarrouk" right across the street, is owned by a same owner and you can eat/drink there and charge to your room. 2014, A small bottle of beer was about 6D, half bottle of Tunisian wine was about 20D.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank HHHYYY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
rome
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was there in June with my family, my husbad and my daughter.
the hotel was nice and the staff was very kind.
I suggest to clean the hotel a little bit more. and the constructions in front of the hotel did not help.
However, in all, the holiday was very good and our stay in this hotel wa very pleasant.
the dar said hotel in sidi bou said is the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My travel agent suggested this hotel and what a gem! Residence du charme and it certainly was.
Hotel is at the top of the hill, but in the heart of Sidi Bou. Hotel was beautiful. Got an upgraded room....which was spotless and wonderfully presented. Staff were on hand but discreet. The only sounds you could hear were the birds singing. Pool and gardens were tranquille with sublime views of the sea and Tunis.
If you need a break from the world, come here and wonder up and down the streets seeing the sights.
Had room 8 and it was perfect.

Room Tip: No matter where you are, you will get sunlight and a breeze and peace.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sophie A
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked the hotel as, being part of the Small Luxury Hotel chain, I was expecting a very high level of service.

WRONG!

Let's have a deep look together.

Hotel Is located in the center of the little village, unfortunately, there are no indication at all to reach it, so, if you have a rent a car, is gonna be very complicated to reach it, also using a last generation navigator.
Near the hotel there is a square where you can leave the car, but, than you and your luggage will have to "walk together". Do not expect any help form the hotel. I called, no answer.
The hotel is basically like a Moroccan Riad, nice style, well decorated, but not in the good maintenance it should be, very little reception where operations are buy the way fast.

Room is absolutely at a ver low level. Few furniture, a very uncomfortable bed with an old mattress, very old lining, Very negative.
Air condition is working ok, mini bar is ridiculous.
Toilette is little and not practice, toilette product are in the minimum available quantity and choice. Overall the room provide a sense of not clean but is not.
Pool at the time of my visit was very dirty, spa is not really a spa, just a very little hammam.
Garden is nice but very little and, the "superb view" is now partially obstructed by an house that they are building in front.

The day after I wake up very early, I was told that breakfast was starting at 6.30 am , and I went in the dedicated area at 7 am. No one was there. When I mean no one I really mean no one. Table where unprepared and dirty from the evening before.
I waited 20 minute when arrived a man that noticed me, he do not said nothing, After other 15 minute he just come back to me with some clean dishes, 1 commercial yogurt, one old apple and two oranges.
Croissant took a while as where frozen so he had to put them in the microwave.
I asked, "is this all?" He said "yes".
Than I add, "are you sure?"
He said, "if you want I can manage to cook you an omelette".

Now, when I read other reviews I can't stop asking myself in which hotel the people are use to stay...
Well, the result is that (for the first time in my life) I left immediately the hotel, after one night instead of staying three days as programmed, of course with no excuses from reception and no help for luggage.
It may seems I am a little tough but this hotel is part of SLH Chain and must offer a superior quality also considering the price it cost that in country like Tunisia has an even more high value and where normally, in the area of Gammarth, very near this hotel, is fully of excellent hotels of different chains.
The reality is that hotel Dar Said is nothing more than a low quality three star hotel.

Room Tip: No sense to pay extra money for the view. You will mainly see the bricks of the new construction in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank UBMCL
Johannesburg
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is very well situated in Sidi Bou Said, with lovely views from the terrace over the sea. Breakfast was fine, fruit, croissants and an egg. The room (no 24) was satisfactory - it was very clean, but the safe was broken, the shower was over a bath and the windows were very small and high and looked onto a roof. Thus was rather disappointing considering that the cost was EUR150 pp - for this price I would have expected there to be no problems and the room to be better appointed

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We so enjoyed our stay in this charming little hotel built in the traditional Tunisian style. We had a really beautiful room with fine architectural features. The hotel is very clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We highly recommend this beautiful, traditional hotel in Sidi Bou Said - a place that should not be missed.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lesley18
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I spent the first 3 nights of our 2 week trip round Tunisia at the Dar Said, all organised in advance through a tour operator in the UK. I did not look at the reviews on Trip Advisor before planning our holiday for the second half of October this year because I had done so in 2010. At that time the reviews were not very positive. Sadly, this has not changed and we agree with many of the comments made by previous reviewers.

The Dar Said is well located high up in the old town on top of the cliffs although the views are largely blocked by other buildings. While attractive, as other reviewers have said, Sidi Bou Said is full of tourists during the day but quiet at night. We cannot comment on the cost of taxis from the airport because ours was arranged as part of the trip. However, the driver had considerable difficulty finding the Dar Said. Our room was spacious and quite attractive and the air conditioning quiet and efficient; it looked onto a small courtyard. There was limited storage for clothes and personal items. Towels were hung on rails in an alcove at one end of the bath (the shower fittings in all the hotels with baths were in the middle of the bath with a curtain). It was difficult to get at the towels, they did not dry and there was no other rail to hang anything; I hung washed underwear from the light fittings! There were two rather old and grey bathrobes and hanging space was so limited that the maid hung my robe over the bathroom door. There were no toiletries such as paper hankies, shampoo/ conditioner, shower hat or body lotion. This was not a problem for us as we always bring our own but might be for other people. There was an antique safe with a key (constructed before the digital age) at the bottom of the cupboard which was difficult to get at and to see what was inside. There was a minibar but only 2 tooth mugs, i.e. no glasses. The lounge was pleasant but there was no attempt to create atmosphere. The central light was turned on but I had to go round and turn on the 3 table lamps and 1 standard lamp.

Breakfast was disappointing. Tables were set out round the pool. This area was quite attractive. Service was very poor. We had to go to the counter and ask for what we wanted. On the first day (Sunday), the bread was so stale it was almost inedible; on the other days it was better. Butter was in small pre-packed foil squares. I requested scrambled eggs but it was clear that the staff had no idea how to prepare eggs this way; they were very overdone and swimming in clear liquid. Toast was not an option. We had some somewhat over ripe grapes, unripe pears and a few pieces of honeydew melon. It was the only place in which we stayed where we had fresh fruit juice. This was nice and seemed to include pureed strawberries. Oranges were not yet in season. A few small pieces of soapy cheese with a little sliced tomato/ cucumber came on a plate covered with cling film. We had the strong impression that breakfast was provided the evening before by the Dar Zarrouk restaurant (on the other side of the street that has the same owner) and kept in the fridge.

We arrived too late to eat on the first evening. On the second afternoon, the guy on reception recommended a fish restaurant in La Goulette called Café Vert. La Goulette was, in fact, quite a long way by taxi although taxis are cheap. Unfortunately, he failed to point out that on a Sunday they close after lunch around 15.00 and do not open again until 20.00. Since we arrived at 18.00, we took a taxi back and had a good and reasonably priced meal at Au Bon Vieux Temps a few metres down from the hotel (away from the centre). We went there again the second evening.

The men on reception were there to provide keys and for general security and not to provide advice to guests. In summary, the Dar Said was like serviced rooms rather than a hotel/ guest house.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Gammarth
El Mouradi Gammarth
El Mouradi Gammarth
#3 of 12 in Gammarth

Been to Hotel Dar Said? Share your experiences!