“A lovely meal in a beautiful setting”

The English Wine Centre
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Berwick
More attraction details
Owner description: With 140 varieties to choose from, there’s no better place to taste and buy English wine than in our dedicated shop, with our specialists on hand to help you make the perfect selection. We always have a bottle or two open for an impromptu tasting, but you can book a tutored wine tasting too – why not treat a friend or relative with one of our vouchers for a very original gift?
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had lunch here today with my family, and we were all very impressed with the food, and the tastefully designed restaurant next to the wine shop. The service was friendly and efficient, and my main course of pheasant in a lovely sauce was very good, and with vegetables (included in the price) was filling. I could just about fit in a pudding of a very well made creme brulee.
Some time ago, I hosted my 60th birthday here, for about 30 guests, held in the nearby converted barn with rooms above. The whole thing could not have been better. We had canapes and English sparkling wine, a full meal and coffees. Everyone was delighted, and my host, Christine, could not have been nicer and made the day very special.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I honestly do not know where to start with this review. The English Wine Centre is a jewel set in the Sussex landscape. My now wife and I was looking for a place to hold our wedding and this was the first and subsequently the last place we looked at! Why bother going anywhere else?! From the moment we got to your beautiful venue we knew that we was in for a special treat.
Colin met us for a pre arranged tour of the grounds, barn and hotel. It was breath taking especially as we came on a Friday, and they where preparing for a wedding on the Saturday. The barn which dates back to the 16th century has been fully restored and is licensed as a venue for civil ceremonies.
The hotel which has 5 rooms are amazing!!! So beautifully laid out and the attention to detail is second to none!
Needless to say we booked and paid the deposit on the spot!
Great communication in the 12 months leading up to the wedding and very much enjoyed our wine tasting morning to select the wines for the day. Colin has a huge knowledge of wines and is clearly passionate about choosing the right wines for the food selected. And they did not disappoint. All of our guests where so impressed with how nice the wines and champagne was.
The food..... Absolute first class!! The wine centre was awarded its first michelin star at Christmas and its not hard to see why. The food was exquisite absolute first class and all of our guests gushed about how delicious the food was! Again we thank you for that.
Christine Mundy co owner & wedding organiser extraordinaire!! Our day was left in your most capable hands and you did not disappoint! Nothing was to much trouble and you clearly enjoy being apart of the big day. Your staff are an absolute credit to the wine centre. All very smart dressed in black and again nothing was to much trouble. Even when we asked for a few tables and chairs to be put in the barn for the reception, in the blink of an eye it was done.
I hope our review helps people to make a decision to go along and check out the wine centre for the possible venue for your big day or a weekend break or even a wonderful meal in the intimate restaurant and enjoy a gastronomical sensation accompanied by beautiful local wines and beers.
We love this place and look forward to coming back for dinner or a weekend break soon. Please ignore negative reviews on trip advisor as competitors in and around the area can quite easily write discrediting reviews out of spite or sheer jealousy.
Thank you Colin & Christine, you are lovely people and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts

Mr & Mrs Donoghue (established 22/6/2013)

2  Thank Stevethebrush
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I went with a friend on the spur of the moment.
The food was excellent , service friendly but professional.
We were guided in our choice of wine and it was outstanding.
We have been asked to a private function and I can't wait to take my husband.

1  Thank carolepepperswash
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Went to the English Wine Centre as part of a birthday treat, we popped in on the off chance they would have a table free. Colin who I believe is the owner was very friendly and approachable to my partner and I, and was on hand to give advice about wine.

When we came back for a meal in the evening the wine was fantastic, as was the meal. We had 3 different wines each and a 3 course meal all the food was very tasty and delicious. The service was good and Colin helped us pick out wine when we told him what we looking for. We were recommended a lovely bottle of sparkling wine to buy which was delicious, and with a bottle of wine, wine, and dinner it came to £100 which is a bargain considering how much we had. We didn't have wine glasses at our bnb next door so Colin said we could borrow some glasses and bring them back the next day.

All in all wine, service and food was excellent, and will definetly be visiting again. Only thing that would be nice as a suggestion is some soft music playing in the background in the dining area.

1  Thank samroz3
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My short visit was very informative and interesting. I hadn't realised that English winemakers are producing wines of this amazing complexity. Some sparkling wines compare favourably to well known products of the Champagne. I definitely will return.

Helmut Hostettler