“Very Pleasant but could do better”

Flint Barn Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Berwick
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy a leisurely lunch or an intimate evening meal in Flint Barn Restaurant. Our menu changes every month and our experienced chef uses the best and freshest local produce to create quintessentially English dishes. Specialist advice is always available to help you select the perfect English wine to complement your chosen meal.Open daily for lunch and on Friday and Saturday evenings for dinner, Flint Barn is also available to book for small parties.
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I went for lunch with a small group of friends. We were made very welcome and sat inside at a large round table. The room was full of atmosphere...beamed ceilings etc.
The gentleman serving was a little laid back until we asked for the wine list...quite expensive. We chose a rose from the Stanlake Vineyard which was truly excellent.
Most of us ordered starters which arrived promptly and were ample and delicious. Most us ordered dressed Whitby Crab for the main, some had duck which looked and apparently tasted excellent. The flavour of the crab was good but there wasn't enough in proportion to a rather dull salad. In fact I'd never experienced crab served in a scallop shell before!
The dessert - traditional summer pudding was as it should be.
Normally I wouldn't manage three courses at lunch, but I actually left hungry.
To sum up the quality was excellent but portion control seemed rather strict and the lunch was far too expensive, even considering it was all British or local produce.

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I tried this place with my sister and we both really enjoyed it. The food was lovely - my lamb pie was a proper pie with pastry case as well as lid (my litmus test!) and there were lots of veggies.
The decor is simple but in keeping with the rest of the building and very rustic. You can wander round the shop as well which is full of Englush wines from all over the country.
We have booked for an upcoming special occasion and we will be looking forward to more of the same.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I can't believe I have not been before. Lunch was truly lovely in gorgeous, tranquil surroundings. The food was delicious and abundant, I couldn't fault it. And it should go without saying that the wine was fantastic. Above all, however, was the service. I could not decide which white wine to have so I was invited to try a couple to help me choose. Frankly they were all rather lovely. Bread & water was brought to the table without request, and after dinner coffee was served with an amazing chocolate truffle. These little touches, as well as the unhurried courtesy of the maitre d, made the lunch absolutely spot on.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Today my wife and I, took an elderly friend for lunch at the English Wine Centre. We were worried before hand that the access might be difficult as she is ninety one and uses a walking frame. We had no need to worry. The food was great with a nice selection of seasonable vegetables, tasty and well presented and the service excellent. We all agreed that future visits were certainly on the cards.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Today we went to the English Wine Centre and had a wonderful lunch. Having lived in the area for 20+ years I asked myself why we had never been before. We had a lovely, unhurried lunch in beautiful surroundings. My husband and I agreed to go back again soon. A small, but very tempting menu offered approximately 6 starters, 6 mains and 6 puddings and the food was delicious and well priced. We didn't order any wine with our meal, but if I had wanted to drink my only gripe was that there were no wines from this area on offer. As I know there are some excellent vineyards in East Sussex it would have been nice to see at least one on offer, but apart from that we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Neither of us could manage a pudding, but my husband ordered a coffee to finish and two homemade chocolate truffles accompanied his coffee, what a joy! They worked perfectly as a mini pudding for me. Do go - I think a lunch in this restaurant should be on everyone's 'to do' list. They also open for dinner on Fridays and Saturdays.