“A Little "Peace" of Heaven on Earth”
Review of River Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heber Springs
River Hideaway
Boerne, Texas
“A Little "Peace" of Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My husband and I were truly blessed when we discovered the River Hideaway. We spent 2 months living here, and it was one of the most relaxing, healing places I have ever been. The cabin we stayed in was very clean, (the Blue Heron), and just being able to watch the sun rise & the blanket of stars each night while sitting on the front porch made us grateful to be alive, and to remember what life was about. Helen, the owner, & Galen (maintenance man) made us feel so welcome and took care of everything we needed, though we didn't need much, as they had supplied everything before we arrived. Helen "rescues" dogs, and though they may bark when you drive up, they are only welcoming their "guest" in the only way they know how.
We will be back for a vacation one day, and look forward to seeing "the gang" at Hideaway! Thank you, Helen...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim201055505

Solo
Business
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Never Received a Key; moldy room; lodge not near dock; A/C didn't work well; Jacuzzi plug broken' shower was intermittently scalding and freezing; internet didn't work until second day; tv didn't work until plugged into a different outlet; fire pit filled with trash and beer cans; owner had a pack of vicious dogs that snarled at us and forced us back inside several times...terrible stay, owner never called us back to address our issues or To Give Us a Key! Had to leave the door unlocked when we left. Do Not Stay Here!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Volsrule98
riverhideaway, Owner at River Hideaway, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Relating to "Don't Stay Here!" I'd like to mention that I have a most-enviable occupancy rate of 75% year-round - which many 5-star hotels would envy! I also have a 50-60% returning guests, something I'm sure would not be true if all the allegations in this review were true.

First things first: The guests were not provided with a key, because the unit, like all other units, is on a combinaton key pad, and the guests were provided with a five-number code with which to enter, and had simply to press "Lock," the center icon in the keypad, to lock the cabin. So much for having "to leave the door unlocked."

Next: The cabin is definitely not moldy; far from it, it is immaculate, and I will submit it to anyone's "white glove test," including Volsrule98's.

The air conditioner, which is a new through-the-wall heat pump and AC, works well, and I have never had a complaint with it. Indeed, when I go up to turn it on prior to a guest's arrival, I am always impressed by how well it does work, and how fast it cools the unit.

The hot water in this unit is on a tankless hot-water on demand system, so some variation in water temperature may have been experienced. However, this complaint, and all the others, were never addressed to me.

The TV was probably five days old at this time. Again, if a complaint had been voiced to me, I would certainly have attended to it, as this was the very first time that TV was ever turned on! If it didn't work properly, I would have like to have been made aware of that fact.

As to the allegation that the "owner never called us back to address our issues," the call must have been placed between 9 a.m. and noon, since my church attendance is important to me, and is the only time I don't answer my phone.
Mississippi
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Stayed in the Brown Trout Cottage. It was small, but cute. It was right on the river with a nice dock for fishing. The down side: it was not clean. There was a layer of dust on just about everything. It wasn't so bad that we felt we couldn't stand it, but I did spend some time trying to clean a little before I could feel comfortable in the space. Some of the plates we pulled from the cabinet had food on them and I had to wash everything before using it. The trash cans had Walmart bags instead of trash bags. I have nothing against recycling grocery bags, but the can in the kitchen filled rather quickly and I didn't see anything to replace the full bag. Also, the trash can out by the deck and the one down at the dock were both overflowing. There is no telling when it was last emptied.
Also, we had brought some cupcakes and left them out on the counter - in a closed paper box. We went to dinner and when we came back, the box and all the cupcakes were covered in ants. Yes, I should have put them in the fridge. But, who would have thought that would happen in such a short time? I live in the country and I know about bugs, but we spray for them and it keeps them at bay and outside most of the time. We were killing ants for the next two days.

I won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank redbirder
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 September 2009

This review is about the "romance suites" upstairs in the Log Cabin Lodge - the Eagles Nest and Robin's Roost. NOT the cabins by the river. This is the new lodge as advertised on the website.

THE GOOD THINGS - nicely decorated. Large bathroom with top of the line spa tub, nice soaps and candles. Lots of towels. Decent sized mini fridge. Well appointed kitchenette with applicances, dishes, etc. Free WiFi and satellite TV.

THE NOT SO GOOD THINGS - When we walked in the door it was summer and the air conditioning was not turned on and the room was blazing hot. The next thing we noticed was that the cleaning lady left a tip envelope on the counter in prominent view. However, the counter was sticky, there were used coffee grounds in the coffee pot, we had to clean several spots of dried food off the stove top and there was lots of dust and hair under the kitchen table, next to the bed and on the bathroom vanity. Don't go by the rates on the website - there is an extra surcharge that you might not notice until you get your credit card statement. Also you are not provided with a paper receipt of any sort.

THE MAY OR MAY NOT MATTER TO YOU THINGS - there is no place (like a closet) to hang your clothes, just a chest of drawers. Ditto for hanging (and drying out) towels - just a small decorative wall piece with hooks. No ventilation at all in the spa bath so it gets steamy and stays steamy. No central air conditioning - just a room unit by the front door that takes a LONG time to cool in the summer (as in 6 hours). This is a fishing town - and it attracts fisherman. You most probably will be sharing your romance suite and lodge units with a bunch of guys with trucks filled with fishing poles and beer. The upstairs suites share a common wall in the bath and sound carries from the other side well enough that you can clearly hear a conversation in the opposite suite. The owner is not on the premises all the time so if you need something, you might have to wait for a response - like hours. The "breathtaking view" you get from the upstairs suites is the neighbor's house next door with one VERY yappy, barky dog running back and forth all day long. Parking is cramped and a bit of a walk if you're staying in the Robin's Nest.

Unless you fish, there's nothing to do in this town. The lakefront cabins and downstairs lodge units are moderately priced if you want to get together with friends or family for a fishing trip. In my opinion, I think the upstairs units are on the pricy side - I'd look elsewhere for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FoofusPKitty
Reviewed 27 August 2007

Perfect end of summer getaway. My husband and I took our son and a friend to the Brown Trout Cabin for a few days before they went back to school. We loved it! The cabin itself was very nice, and very relaxing. We really enjoyed the full kitchen, especially with two boys! Loved the screened in porch - especially at night - great place to read, and we could sit there and watch the boys play darts! We are already trying to decide when we can go back.

We didn't get to meet Helen because she was out of town, but Glenda was very sweet and offered to show us the Rainbow cabin before we left. It was beautiful and we might be tempted to stay there next time. Great bath! But whether it is the Brown Trout or the Rainbow cabin, we are definately going to be visiting the River Hideaway again!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jmwalker
Natchez
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We stayed in the Rainbow Trout Cottage. This place is absolutely great. If you want a place that is quite and peaceful, this is the place to go. We enjoyed the river veiw that we had. And the porch on the river bank is a great way to unwind from the day. They allow pets which was a plus for us because of our minuture yorkie that is like a daughter to us. The cottage was very clean and well maintained. I love the white pine that it is constructed out of. There is only one problem and that is that it doesn't belong to me. I didn't want to leave. I am looking forward to going back in the near futre. Hope to see you there.

• Liked — It was very peaceful and relaxing.
  • Disliked — Having to leave so soon
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank blueeydlady
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2006

There are two cabins on this property. We stayed in the Rainbow Trout Cottage which was absolutely breathtaking, a french country paradise. Its not a large cottage by any means, but very comfortable. The deck overlooks the river and its a short walk down the steps to an awesome fishing deck. Our neighbors were kind enough to show us the Brown Trout cabin which was equally as nice and we plan on renting that one next. There is a TV and VCR but if you turn it on, you'll miss out on the peace and serenity of the place. Its absolutely amazing and Helen and the dogs are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed January 2006
#1 of 2 in Fairfield Bay
Budget Inn Heber Springs
Budget Inn Heber Springs
#6 of 7 in Heber Springs

Been to River Hideaway? Share your experiences!