“wonderful”

James at the Mill Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
James at the Mill Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Johnson
Price range: US$13 - US$36
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Johnson Exit #69 off of Interstate 540
kansas city
“wonderful”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Beautiful restaurant! So good we ate there both nights we stayed at the Inn At The Mill! Experienced and engaging staff and a great menu!

Visited May 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“Very standard ”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

There is nothing wrong with this place, just very standard and predictable. We did the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings, which was reasonable at $100/pp. The courses were all fine, but certainly nothing that distinguished them as "cuisine of the Ozark Plateau," whatever that means. Service was fine, except for an instance in which the server put down two filthy wine glasses and was about to pour into them until I called her attention to it. She also brought the check midway through our dessert course without having been asked - as if there was a rush to get us out. While choices in NWA are admittedly limited, James at the Mill probably does not need to be in your consideration set.

Hot Springs, Arkansas
“I was not impressed”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel on the same property and thought this would be a nice place to have a fancier dinner. The hotel had also given us some complimentary drinks and food from this restaurant so we figured why not try it. Out of all the places we ate this weekend this was the worst. They weren't horrible just not good compared to the price you will pay for it. We ate kinda early and were immediately seated. The restaurant was not crowded at all and yet we were sat right beside a couple in a bench booth. We were so close that it was hard for my husband and I to relax or even have a conversation because we could so clearly hear the couple next to us discussion. It was extremely awkward. Specially with so much room available in the restaurant.
The bread that was brought was very good. And we were starving because it took a long time to bring any food to the table. I could understand if the restaurant was full but with only a handful of tables it seemed odd we would have to wait so long. Finally our appetizers came out. It was a glorified corn dog on the menu called Adouille sausage corn dog. The taste was ok but it was not pleasing to look at. Finally our main coarse came out. I ordered the Hickory grilled Adobo rubbed bone in ribeye with whipped potatoes. Basically stake with mashed potatoes and that doesn't seem like a thing you can mess up but the flavor combinations where not good. The wine sauce with mushrooms and fruit were very odd. I tried to eat it because when you pay that much for something you just want to eat it. I finally gave up on it. My husband ordered the Citrus marinated and hickory grilled pork tenderloin. And it was just awful. If I thought my flavor combos were weird this one was even worse. The only truly pleasant thing about our meal was the Lemon drop we ordered and our dessert. Both were very good. And not just because we had free vouchers for them.
I was all set to love this place. The atmosphere was pleasing. And I love trying new things and loved the sound of the menu. But it was just so disappointing.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank darlinsummer
fort worth
“2nd chance was better”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had been to this restaurant once before during graduation weekend for the University of Arkansas and we were disapointed as the service was poor and the waiter was rude. We tried it again and arrived early. This was a much better experience. We had the same waitstaff that did a much much better job this time. I had the ribeye and the ceasar salad which were both good. The rest of my party each had two appitizers with the crab cakes which are very good and the corn dog which was good but is a vulger presentation.

Visited July 2014
Katy, Texas
“Did not live up to the hype...”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

It took over 3.5 hours and the food just was not that good versus what you pay for it. The Caesar salad had way too much dressing on the individual standing Romaine leaves (sopping). The Ribeye had some wine sauce that overwhelmed the taste of the meat itself and the presentation looked nothing like what was shown on the website. There was some sort of green mash (Chimichurri Sauce?) stuck to the outside one half the meat and then there were little bits of what I believe were mushrooms on the other side. The tasting menu ended up being 3 bits each at best and just not worth 75 bucks in my opinion. I will say the Halibut was very good as well as the andouille sausage "corn dog".

• Visited July 2014